“Pricey for what you get”
Review of El Milano Real

El Milano Real
Park Ridge, New Jersey
“Pricey for what you get”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here some time back. This place is in the middle of nowhere, and not close to the old city of Avila. Room was OK. Food was extremely pricey. This place tries to sell itself as gourmet, but only the price was gourmet. Food was average. Was charged about 7 euro for a melon ball scoup of ice cream for my 3 year old daughter. Outside, the place is quite charming. If seclusion is your goal, this is your place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DJR249

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Our stay here very much lived up to expectations, in some ways I think it was undersold. We were on a Headwater walking holiday and went to this area for the high peaks (>2000 meters) and promised alpine scenery. I think the time of year is important, our trip was in June which is before the Spanish descend en masse for this popular outdoor area and before the extreme heat of the summer. It is a small very couth hotel which is well kept and run with extremely helpful and attentive staff (who were particularly good natured about my pathetic Spanish). I didn't recognise the food from some of the previous negative comments. The food is very special - this isn't routine hotel food, it is local produce prepared to high end standards but may not suit some palates. The chef made a point of seeking our opinion about the dishes and even tried out samplers for his new menu in addition to what we ordered. Do try the menu of gin cocktails which are very much a signature for the hotel and a wonderful pick you up after some hard walking.
If you are looking for bright lights and sparkling night life the little hamlet of Hoyos will dissappoint you but if you enjoy your walking, you will also enjoy being very well fed and looked after.

Room Tip: The ordinary rooms are high standard but for mountain views you need to have a suite
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paul H
Bristol
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We stayed here for a week in late April. The local area is nice but not a patch on Snowdonia, the English Lakes or the highlands of Scotland.

First the hotel. It is on the edge of Hoyos Del Espino and is surrounded by other houses. HDE is not up to much. It has a few bars, but none of them have much that is redeeming about them, so you wouldn't want to linger in any of them for too long. The hotel itself is a nice size and is very nicely designed both architecturally and decoratively. All the staff seem quite cheerful and speak enough english to get the job done. We booked a suite and got the room 26 the Arabe suit, which was nice, with great views overlooking the mountains.

I guess we were there at a quiet time of year but there were very few people there during the week; because of this there was really no atmosphere at all in the public rooms, which is a shame. Although the staff are nice they are a bit thin on the ground; quite a few times we came back from a day out, or came upstairs from having dinner and wanted a drink in the bar, but the place would be deserted. In the end we resorted to having a post walk beer in one of the dull village bars, or got some provisions in from the local Spar and went to back to our room after dinner. Other couple seemed to do the same.

What was a shame was that there was no 'welcome back' to the hotel at the end of each day. In so many walking areas we have been welcomed back with cakes, tea and coffee, hot chocolate or even a beer or two. Here there was nothing, which made it a bit dull. I think because of this, the public rooms were virtually always deserted, even at the weekend when it got busier. And of course, the tell tale sign of a weak bar - no draft beer! That means they don't get enough customers to justify it. Pity, as it would have been so much nicer to have gone straight back to the hotel at the end of the day.

There was one thing that did annoy me. Our room overlooked the very nice, but small garden. On Wednesday evening a group of about 5 people had some drinks served to them in the garden. Come Friday evening the same glasses and bottles were still there. They had gone by Saturday morning. We had to look at these for 2 days. Not good enough.

The spa is about 50 metres from the hotel and is a separate business. It costs 32 euros for one person to simply access the spa pools. The spa is quite small, but the main bit is quite nice. You have to go on a mini spa journey, with a sequence of different jets that pummel different bits of you body. That takes about 30 minutes max. The next thing to do, unless you want a treatment, is to go in the swimming pool, sit on a lounger and have someone bring you a nice fruit smoothie or something - except you CAN'T DO THIS AS THE POOL IS FULL OF VILLAGE KIDS HAVING SWIMMING LESSONS - which means the pool is off limits. Even if it was on limits, you wouldn't want to do it because of the din the kids make. So if your idea of a spa is somewhere you can unwind and relax DON"T GO TO THIS ONE! Also, you can't get the smoothie as they don't really do drinks; the closest you'll get is being offered a plastic beaker of water or fruit juice in the cramped reception area, which is also full of kids and their mothers ( so to is the gents changing room!). Even worse, the staff got a bit stroppy when I politely refused the offer of a drink; they didn't seem to understand that I might prefer to have a drink in my 4 star hotel (if I could have found someone to serve one) rather than their cramped room. So, it was back to our Spar provisions again!

Last but not least the hotel food. I don't know what the hotel food costs as we were on a package with Headwater, so I can't comment on value except to say it cost us a lot of money to be there. The dining room is very nice with panoramic windows which give the same view we got from our balcony. My major problem with the food is that the menu was the same every night for a week. I lie actually, it did change - some nights some of the choices were 'off'. On the Wednesday and Thursday nights THREE of the main courses were off. Given that there were only about 7 choices to start with, and two of these were different steaks, that didn't leave a lot left.

At best the food is quite nice; at worst it is dreadful. They have, I think, a young chef who wants to be Ferran Adria, but simply hasn't got his ability. I have always believed that Spanish food at it's best is like eating at a medieval banquet, with wonderful grill meats, fish and seafoods, but that it doesn't 'fancy up' easily. You have to have real talent to achieve this, and their chef doesn't have it, I'm sad to say. If I'm being harshly critical, it's because the hotel website presents itself as a centre for gastronomic experiences. It simply does not achieve this; rather it is the kings clothes!

For example, whist in Madrid we had some outstanding cabrito (goat) in a swanky joint in the Cheuca area. It was truly wonderful. When we arrived here we found baby goat on the menu, and were advised to have it buy one of the owners, Theresa. It was disgusting! I only ate a few bits of it. Even the spanish customers were complaining - in fact demanding to see the chef at the table - because it was so bad. If you ever see the film 'The Fly' where Jeff Goldbloom teleports a baboon, but it arrives inside out. It was bit like that. Not nice.

Another night I had a cream of Courgette and Spring Garlic soup with cockles in Jelly. I knew I was in trouble when my soup bowl arrived (sans soup) with two eyes looking up at me. The waiter then poured the soup into the bowl, but those eyes (the cockles) were still staring at me, imploring me not to eat them. I knew things weren't ok when I touched the rim of the bowl - it was stone cold. The soup was tepid, but only in parts as the other parts were cold. The soup was ok, but would have had more flavour hot. Then I tried one of the eyes. It was disgusting. The jelly was ice cold, and the mouth feel was vile. The only thing I've had in my mouth that felt worse was sea slug in Singapore. I wanted to spit it out, but was afraid I'd pebble dash the panoramic window, so I gulped. Again, not nice.

There are so many things I could go on about; the aubergine starter ( I love aubergine) that was like styrofoam, the cheese parcels where the cheese smells worse than Vietnamese rotting fish and lingers on your clothes for day. The fillet steak was the dullest I've ever had anywhere. The chef cannot cook medium rare by the way.

What the restaurant is wonderful for is wine. They have a fantastic wine list. We got stuck into the spanish wines ( they have a large French list as well), and never paid more than about 30 euros for a bottle and they were all excellent. My only slight quibble, is that most of these wines threw a good sediment and should have been decanted, but weren't. What's a shame is that the food really not do the wines justice.

The breakfasts were ok, but a bit dull and predictable.

If the hotel could sharpen up its food and it's service in the public rooms, it could be excellent. But as it is, it's just ok.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelNutBristol
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The hotel is peaceful. The restaurant is excellent although expensive (particularly breakfast) and very formal.

We were disappointed with the room which we were allocated; the hotel was virtually empty and yet we were not given a room with mountain views.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank RateMyHoliday
lincolnshire UK
Reviewed June 13, 2010

The hotel was easy to find but the website photo is a little misleading. You think you are in the countryside but actually it is surrounded by houses and whilst we were ther there was a giant crane 40 metres away where a house was being constructed. We were there Sat and Sunday so no workmen and no noise at all. We were very well looked after by the staff. There is a very comfortable lounge and a very well stocked library. Food was excellent and reasonably priced ( Breakfast was 15 euros but you could eat as much as you liked including very tasty eggs and bacon). If you enjoy peace and quiet, walking and bird watching this a great place to be.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
denver, CO
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Tucked away in the village of Hoyos del Espino, this charming hotel is the perfect place to enjoy the pleasures of Spain off the beaten track.
The hotel is beautiful and the restaurant is of the quality you would find in any cosmopolitan city with the addition of an outstanding wine list.
Connected to the hotel is a spa which is the perfect place for the weary traveler, hiker, or biker to relax and rejuvinate.
The garden is also a great place to unwind with a glass of wine.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We were surprised by the high quality of this hotel in a tiny mountain village.
The rooms are fairly large, with very comfortable beds. The best part is the dining room with picture windows overlooking the Gredos. The food at dinner and at breakfast was just great, imaginative, very fresh and light, with excellent presentation. It was nice to get a break and from the typical heavy Spanish food.

The service was charming, although not everyone spoke English. There is an observatory with star gazing and an extensive selection of DVDs

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — nothing, everything is very nice.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoyos del Espino
Hotel Rural La Dehesilla
Hotel Nabia
Hotel Nabia
#1 of 2 in Candeleda

Been to El Milano Real? Share your experiences!