“Surprisingly good, would happily go again anytime!”
Review of Santa Rosa Hotel

Santa Rosa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Torrox
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We arrived at very early hours in the morning and the check in was very quick and painless and after a long travel that is important and we were fortunate enought to get a sea view room. The following morning we took a walk along the street in to what we thought would be a town and didnt realy find too much, but we walked back toward the hotel on the sea front and there was alot of resturaunts backing onto the beach and no where was overly busy and the setting was lovely. The breakfast and dinner menus in the hotel were not great, but it seemed to be more aimed toward a 'Spanish' diet.
The staff in the hotel were fantastic. Even though there was an obvious language barrier, as my Spanish is non existant and the English is either very poor or also non existant, we never failed to get anyhting we wanted or needed. The hotel itself is twinned with another hotel accross the road and that hotel has a roof top swimming pool we were allowed to use that is where the dinner hall is too. The situation of the hotel is not fantastic and anybody looking for a holiday with British style bars and a buzzing nightlife should probably avoid this whole town as it seems a very rural Spanish town with alot of Spanish holiday makers. We were there for a week and we only met one other British couple. The beach is great, never packed and the sea is very clam and the tide moved about 5m the whole time we were there and the sea is lovely to swim in.
Overall this hotel and town are idealy suited to anyone wanting a very chilled out relaxing holiday and I would happily go again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lauder_32

Reviewed August 24, 2010

After reading some previous reviews, I was a bit nervous about staying at the Santa Rosa, but I had absolutely no need to be. We had booked a 3 bed room for myself, my husband and son for 3 days to spend by the beach before moving inland to a villa. The room was large and the beds were comfortable. I think we were the only English people at the hotel (I think during the three days we stayed in El Morche we came across 2 other British people, the rest were Spanish holiday makers) and at times there was a slight language barrier with staff.

Breakfast was basic, croissants, meats cheese and cereal. Along the beach in walking distance there are restaurants serving the usual paella and seafood.

If you have a hire car, there is a car park across the road, our car was fine there the whole time.

The beach has black sand and very small waves, so perfect for our little boy. The beach didnt get very busy near the hotel, but further up it was more crowded.

All in all, it was a great start to our holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lola1986
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I have just returned from an 11 day break at the Santa Rosa in El Morche and to be quite honest didn't want to leave ! I had read previous reviews after booking my holiday and was quite dubious about what to expect on my arrival but once I arrived and settled into my room I was very impressed. I had a fantastic view of the sea and beach and found the staff incredibly helpful and polite, particularly a young receptionist called Chani and a rather handsome waiter - Miguel. As I was a female staying on my own there I felt very safe and comfortable. My room was always left clean and immaculate by the maids who were also very nice. Breakfast was a range of breads, cold meats, cereal etc which suited me and think that most people would be happy with the selection. I would most definately recommend this hotel and can't really find fault with anything. There was a little language barrier at times but I managed to get by and was understood. Not a great deal of eating places round there but a taxi to torrox costa is five euros and there is a little more going on down there. I had a great time and am missing the Santa Rosa already!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Klaude_10
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I read the reviews of this hotel with trepidation before my visit. Don't be fooled by the photos of the spectacular view as half of this hotel overlooks a fairly busy and dusty street, with grey plastic awned tomato farms beyond on the hills - despite asking for a seaview (and willing to pay extra) this request was ignored and we were given a room overlooking the noisy street - not a good start. However all throughout our stay the receptionists (various) were courteous and helpful - despite the lack of English in common. The waiting staff on the whole were also helpful and efficient, all bar one who raised her eyes skyward every time we asked her for something and screamed at us in Spanish when we insisted we wanted to eat our breakfast out on the terrace, and then banged the door shut on us so we were forced to knock on the window to regain access as we were locked out - this waitress really needed to be taught what 'hospitality' actually means. The food was average, predictable, in fact what I would expect from a hotel of this rating, except, I have never seen a tomato sliced so thinly, as if with a mandoline, and spread sparingly over a platter, I estimated that the entire hotel was fed just one tomato for breakfast - absurd considering this was tomato growing country and they could have just popped over the road for plenty. Overall ... it was 'ok' if a little out of the action, a 15 minute walk along the beach to tourist civilisation. The shower was good, the garden loungers brilliant and the room was cleaned to a good standard every day ... I would not return however.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Santa Rosa Hotel 3 star
I rate this hotel to be the lowest standard i have ever encountered in 53 years of travelling, arriving late at night assumingly my first day of holiday we were on my request given a quick meal which consisted of a blob of mashed potato and two thin slices of cold pork for two to share, no drinks available.
This was the start.
Morning breakfast is great if you like bread to eat other than a few bits of cold meat nicely displayed on a framed mirror on an ice cooler. If you wanted cereals you would be spoilt for choice, try the vast selection of one bowl only Cornflakes available everyday. No other cereals were available.
If you were quick and got up for 0730hrs Scrambled egg was available any later and it was gone never to be replaced.
Coffee was in an urn and was duly coloured tar black.
The evening meal was soup of the day, salad and a brave attempt to put on a spread of pork and a few pieces of cake, any drinks had to be paid for. ( a nice touch )
The rooms were fine other than the sewage creeping through the overflow on the bathroom floor every time you either emptied the bath or sink, when reported was advised to let the water out slowly.
The sun beds were falling to bits, lights had bulbs missing, the floor in the restaurant had food lying on it for three days.
The sea view was great with a south facing balcony big enough for two chairs only.
The bedding was never changed in a week although the bathroom towels were done daily because they were covered in sewage
The toilet was cracked, the sink crooked and the TV only had euro sports or cnn.
Whether i pay £15 or £100 there should be an acceptable standard, unfortunately this hotel fell below this.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone,

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank Delboy999
Reviewed August 17, 2008

On arrival we thought we had the wrong palce - it looked like a building site. Hotel staff did not have a clue. We had no lights in our room and the receptionist (also waiter and handyman) brought some light bulbs but just shook his head when the lights still did not work.

When we tried to go to the beach we were told this was not possible because there was a private party in the restaurant which was the only access to the beach.

It was just like being in a Carry On film and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Trixie13nob
Reviewed September 27, 2007

we have recently returned from this hotel which we found on a building site.
the room was a bit run down with mould on the shower curtain
and for four days no hot water the receptionist tried but no result .
we could not sit on our balcony when the air conditioning was on in the room above us as water dripped down. the towels were changed every day but we found most of the staff not very friendly
the food was o k but not much choice
the beach outside the hotel was a bit shabby but better up the road .
there was nowhere to go outside so it was a bit boring , maybe it will be better when its all finished.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank hampshireirish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torrox
Costamar
Balcon de Competa Hotel and Bungalows
Hotel La Casa
Hotel La Casa
#2 of 8 in Torrox

Been to Santa Rosa Hotel? Share your experiences!