“Plain and Simple”

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Torrox, Spain
“Plain and Simple”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

So last night we decided to go out for a meal in Torrox Pueblo and decided on La Biznaga. We had been for drinks before but this was the first time we had decided to eat there.

While La Biznaga is in the central plaza, Plaza de la Constitución, it is on the side close to the town hall so set apart from the other cafe bars. The service was friendly and attentive and we ordered beefsteak for me and lamb in the special house sauce for my wife, a bottle of house wine with the meal was good value.

The food was simple, unpretentious and good value with 2 main meals, bottle of house wine, water, coffee and brandy totalling €26

The menu was adequate with a good variety of meats, fish, salads, pasta etc., all reasonably priced and a choice of wines by the bottle or glass.

Would we go again? yes we would
Is it the best in Torrox? no, there are better but there are also worse as well.

• Visited August 2012

United Kingdom
“Beware what you order.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Actually it is located in Torrox Pueblo and not quite on the coast. Located in the main 'square' the location is attractive and the walk afterwards gives some tremendous glimpses of the coast (looking down upon).

My family were there at the festival time and Saturday night (late July) was good fun. Jugglers, men on stilts in medaival costume, snake charmers, jewelry and bric a brac stalls. Normally the town is quiet.

Anyway, my wife ordered the fish and son beef and both came well cooked. I am aware that Andalusia has as a speciality rabbit and 'conero' was on the menu. I know it well in the UK and how it should have been cooked. When it came it had been chopped up badly and there were sharp shards of bone in the meal which meant it was dangerous and I was sitting out late at night to eat so it was dark in the street. Not only had the bones been fractured it had not been skinned or prepared properly......there were plentiful swathes of viscera, grissle and fat and not too much meat. I had to leave over half the dish. Finally rabbit is a meat that needs to be tenderised. We all know that slow braising or casseroling is the best way to treat this meat. As I said only a third of the content was meat and this was as hard as shoe leather! It clearly had not been cooked. It a rustic town like Torrox Pueblo, the restauranteur had no regard to serving his guests well. He knew it was poorly cooked and just served it to get money.

Originally we had just wanted to sit outside and drink, we noticed other families were just drinking but the waiter had insisted we had to buy a meal if we wanted to sit there.

I travel widely and over many years and have no hesitation in saying the restauranteur was opportunistic and my dish was bad. Again I regret presenting my opinion but have had many good meals elsewhere.

Do not be put off going to Torrox Pueblo but be warned about visiting this restaurant.

Regards.

Chris, Anna and Jordan.
PS There is a little icecream parlour withinn 100 yards and the local children flock there. Great icecream.

• Visited July 2012