“Good hotel, but very expensive”

Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Good hotel, but very expensive”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for the first time last year twice but it was a company booking and of course the way how they treated me was completely different then as it was now, when I stayed there through personal reservation. But my opinion is kind of the same.
It is a very expensive hotel, you can find much more cheaper ones around the Fiumicino Airport. And I think you only pay for the "Hilton" name. Especially that this is "lower budget" line of the Hilton chain. I chose this hotel because I kind of had to, but it's another story.
For this very high price you'll get totally average service. And I mean it. I've been in other 4-star hotels and the service was way better in most of them.
The receptionists - almost all of them - are very cold and quiet. You have to get every information out them with pliers (figuratively speaking of course). The same applies to most of the waiters in the restaurant. I came across - during my 3 stays here - with only 1 very kind and helpful waiter (but he was very young so... :) ). The others looked like they don't even wanna be there. Though the food itself was good. Nothing special, but it is at least good.
The room was clean, and with all the things you could need. I was especially grateful for the so-fresh towels, they were still warm when I got there! The toiletries are by Neutrogena, a very good brand, so it's a positive thing again in the room.
Another great feature is that the check-out time is later then in any other hotels I've been before: it's 12.00 noon. Excellent!
And let's don't forget about their airport shuttle which leaves the hotel or the airport in every 30 minutes. The drivers are always very helpful and kind. And of course the service is free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIRA, Direttore at Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Your comment is really important for us, the attitude of the staff is the most important thing about a guest experience and I am sorry that in your case, we didn't exceed the expectations. I'll personally share your detailed review with the team in order to improve our performance. Thank you for staying with us.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We used this hotel as a staging point for our departure back to Canada. We chose this hotel because of its location and it was much cheaper than the Airport Hilton. There is a shuttle that runs from the airport to the hotel, approximately every 30 minutes. We had lots of luggage and that was not a problem for the shuttle. The shuttle is located at stand #11, at the far end of the covered, bus parking area. The breakfast was ok, but not great. But it is the old story, you get what you pay for. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms were average in size, very clean and quiet. The hotel is a 15 minute ride away from terminal three. We would use the hotel again. We would not stay there if we were planning to spend a few days to see Rome. There is no direct shuttle to downtown Rome as there is from the airport Hilton, which is located a 15 minute walk over the skyways from terminal 3.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIRA, Direttore at Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that your experience was overall satisfactory, and also that the Hotel was convenient compared to the purpose of the stay. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we can have another chance to meet you for your next visit to Rome.

Director of operations
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

For the horror that awaits those who depart Terminal 5 at FCO, the HGI near the airport is a very nice oasis. Helpful staff, very convenient shuttle service with polite and helpful drivers, a nice bar and restaurant (we had a meal there as we had already returned our rental car and used the shuttle to get back to the hotel). Rooms are well appointed and quiet. Although I would avoid departures from FCO in the future, if I had to leave from there again, I would most certainly stay again at the HGI-Rome Airport.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you've found the hotel practical and convenient for departure to FCO Airport. I know that the Airport authority is working to improve the experience at the airport too, so I think you'll notice from the newt future. I hope we can have another chance to meet you for your next visit to Rome.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn is a very clean hotel - It is very convenient for air travel to and from Rome - prompt complimentary shuttle. Breakfast very good, wide selection of items. Restaurant open for late arrivals. It is very reasonably priced, We booked two rooms; requested adjoining and we got what we requested.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy about your feedback, and also that we were able to satisfy your requests. I'll personally prise the restaurant team for the compliments of breakfast. I hope we can have another chance to meet you for your next visit to Rome.

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel was a nice transition back to real life. The hotel is very American. The room was big, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom was great, with an amazing shower. Don't confuse this hotel with the Hilton Airport Hotel, which is attached to the airport. There is a set bus schedule to take you to the airport from the hotel. The drive in the shuttle is less than 10 minute drive. If you take the Airport Express train from Termini you can follow the signs towards the Hilton Airport hotel and walk through the airport for a while. Although the "H" symbols will not lead you to the Garden Inn, there is a shuttle every 15 minutes from Hilton to the Garden Inn.

1 Thank Stacia B
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that your stay was overall satisfactory and that you highlighted the convence to stay in our Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we can have another chance to meet you for your next visit to Rome.

Louisville, KY, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed for only one night at this Garden Inn at Rome Fiumicino Airport. We had a morning flight the next day.This proved to be a very fine experience at one of the nicest Garden Inns that I 've encountered. The room and facilities were new and immaculate, the staff knowledgeable, the food surprisingly first rate, and the service outstanding. We took the shuttle to the airport the next morning and it left right on schedule. Incicentally, the hotel w2as oacked with a lot of Americans who had the same idea that we did. Great property!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy about your feedback, I'm glad that your experience was great, I will share your comment with the team and I will personally praise them all. I hope we can have another chance to meet you for your next visit to Rome.

Prosper, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very much enjoyed this hotel while cruising and touring Rome. Staff was great, hotel was very modern and well appointed. Room was comfortable.

Note, you will need to take the shuttle bus to/from the hotel and airport...when you exit Terminal 3, turn right and keep walking to the bus area at the end and look for the pick up location / sign for Hilton Garden Inn. Buses run very reliably and the ride to/from the hotel is about 15 min.

Easy way to get to/from the city center is to take the shuttle from the hotel to back to the airport / terminal 3 and go downstairs to arrival level and find the buses. For around 4euros one way, the bus will take you right into the Termini station at the center of Rome. From there you can pick up the metro / subway or tour buses.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good...we stayed in two different ones on either side of a cruise and both were ex...