“Good Stay at the Rome Hilton Airport”

Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 12, 2007

The Hilton ROME airport! The location is what I really liked about this location. This is my second trip to Rome and the last time I stayed in an overpriced, small hotel in the city center. This time I was looking to do Rome a little cheaper, without staying in a box. The Hilton Rome airport is part of the FCO Rome airport, this is the airport most major airlines fly info… Just to note cheap (crap) airlines like Ryanair fly into the other airport. The Hilton is connected to the airport via a moving walkway. 5-7min walk/ride over.. This hotel offers a wonderful coach bus to the city center. FOR FREE! It depart the Hotel every two hours from 8am – 10pm and the city center return is every 2 hours from 9am – 11pm. Most of the time it takes about 35 min, but traffic time could up to an hour. Now this is a very nice perk, to get from the airport to a hotel in the city center a taxi ride could be about 40 EURO, and train ride is 9Euro, per person, but then once you get to the main station you have to still get to your hotel. I saved a ton of money staying at this nice airport location. The hotel is clean, and really a nice room. The executive floor and lounge were also very nice, I did not like the “internet PC” in the Ex lounge have a PER MIN rate that is out of this world. The service in the lounge was very nice.. Over all a nice place to stay, I was a little worried about aircraft noise, but did not hear one. This place was built to make sure it would be a nice airport location. The staff was ok.. I did have an issue with one of the restaurant staff, and reported it to management and did make good on the problem.. So I did like how they replied to my complaint. I did also notice that the stuff did not understand my English.. So this did cause a little problem at times. But overall it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dcl80
There are newer reviews for Hilton Rome Airport Hotel

Reviewed September 10, 2007

I was only there from 4 pm Sunday to 7:00 am Monday morning

Pros
Conveniently located via walkway to Airport Terminals
Interior is aesthetically pleasing.
Bed was great and room cleanliness was .......OK
Complimentary buffet breakfast.
Downtown bus shuttle every 2 hours

Cons
No Coffee machine in room
No clock in room
Only 4 clothes hangers in a double room.
Lobby Shop wasn't open at 4:30 pm.

Of Particular Note.
- This is kind of curious - I was bumped from my flight out of FCO and my checked bag went missing. I therefore had no toiletries or clothes. The front desk was able to supply a razor and a toothbrush. but I since the lobby shop was closed at 4:30 (curious part) I had had to walk back to the airport for the other toiletries.
- This is bizarro. I went to the restaurant at 5:30 am to see if I could scrounge up a glass of OJ. They weren't fully set up for breakfast yet but the juice counter was ready and the girl there let me help myself to a glass of OJ while I stood there. I came back later at 6:30 with my companions. I was told by the same girl that I had already had my breakfast and couldn't have a second one. A second one?!? At an all you can eat buffet breakfast?!?
I don't normally eat breakfast so didn't complain and just sat with my companions. I was then told by a waiter that by being the 5th chair at a table for 4 I was blocking his "access" to the drink station (I was 10(?) feet away and there couldn't have been 20 patrons there at the time in a restaurant that probably seated 150+.) and had to move to another table. Then he complained in Italian to the hostess that I had already had breakfast at 5:30 and didn't leave a tip (for an OJ I had standing up at an all you can eat buffet for a waiter I didn't even see?). Good night nurse!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank NNC0
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed at the Hilton for one night following a week's stay in a villa near Cortona. I had debated whether we should stay somewhere in the center of Rome, but decided the aggravation of getting to and from the airport wouldn't be worth it. For once I was right! I booked through my company travel agent for €210. I ended up having extra euro so paid cash upon checkout.

We arrived pretty early to check-in as we also had to drop our car rental off - about 9:15 am. Our check-in went very smoothly - the woman at the counter was very friendly and efficient. Of course our room wasn't ready yet, but we were prepared for that as we wanted to use the shuttle to go into the city. We were able to store all of our bags (5) in a locked room behind the check-in desk.

The shuttle runs every 2 hours into the center of Rome beginning at 8:00 am and drops you near the Teatro di Marcello, a few blocks away from the Colosseum. Considering it would cost about 50 euro to take a cab into the city, the shuttle is a great service provided by the Hilton. The pickup time isn't guaranteed, of course, because of traffic, so we didn't get picked up until 10:20 am, but that was fine.

We only spent a couple of hours in the city and went back to the hotel around 1:00 pm. We had lunch in the Bistro at the hotel. As soon as we sat down we were brought a glass of sparkling wine and a little appetizer on the house. After we ordered I went to check on our room and found it was ready, so after lunch we went upstairs to relax. Our bags were brought up very quickly. The room was perfectly fine - clean and good sized. The sheets and towels were very nice. We especially enjoyed the air conditioning, although it didn't seem as cool the next morning. The toilet didn't flush right away - the button had to be pushed 2 or 3 times - but it wasn't annoying enough to have to call maintenance.

As mentioned in other reviews, the minibar is really overpriced. I thought there was a shop on premises to buy some water, but there isn't (even though the website states there is). My husband went to the bar and was able to purchase a big bottle of water for €4 whereas it was €9 in the room. Yes, a can of Diet Coke was €4.50!!

Also, there were only a couple of times I could hear an airplane. I was worried the noise would be bothersome, but it wasn't at all.

The next morning checkout went very smoothly - we left a little before 7:00 am. My husband was able to find a luggage cart someone had left near the elevator. It was about a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to the terminal, but it wasn't too hot - probably because it was so early in the day. The walkway does take you past the parking garage, so I'm sure that also adds to the heat as the day goes on.

We had an enjoyable stay at the Hilton, and found the staff very professional and polite. We would definitely recommend this hotel if you have an early morning flight or need some time to recuperate from a long flight to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thecleave
Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I, my mom, sister and three of our family friends booked three rooms. We paid $350.00 DOLLARS a room. OVERPRICED, the room my husband and I were in smelled like mold. We placed a $50.00 deposit so that we could utilize the mini bar. A bottle of water cost 4 euros, we only took one bottle of water and I was told by the staff that I consumed 44 euros in beverages. I told the woman at the front desk to double check because she made an error. She was very insistant and then she finally verified and did not even apologize. I was having problems with making a call to my sister in the USA, I was utiliizing an Italian calling card. I called the front desk for help, big mistake..!!! I was not able to make a call and at check out they charged me $12.00 for a phone call. I was not able to make a call so I had to argue with the woman. They were no help what so ever. Our bathroom had no toilet paper, I always carry a roll with me so I was fortunate. I really did not want to call the front desk because I did not want to get upset again. I have filed a complaint and I am awaiting a response. My family and friends were not impressed with the Hilton. I feel like I have been robbed for the price we paid. I will NEVER stay here again and I have made my family and friend aware of the awful service provided by the Hilton.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank speranza_ita
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This is a nice hotel and closest one to the airport that you’ll find. Depsite its close proximity to the airport, you won't hear much noise from the planes.

When we arrived, it took a little while for us to get checked in as they needed all of our passports. Complicating matters was that the key machine was down. We had to be taken to our rooms by a porter who had a master key but at least we were in the rooms and not waiting in the lobby. The lines at the front desk can get very long at peak times and it would help if more people were on duty then.

Our rooms were a bit small but manageable as we were only there for two nights. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was of a decent size and was also clean. Plenty of towels were supplied.

The service here is excellent. The front desk personnel were very friendly and professional and especially the staff in the restaurants. The food here is very good but can be expensive. But, you don’t have much of a choice as, other than the airport terminals, there is nothing else around.

However, one day at breakfast, the hostess only charged us for myself and my wife and said the kids (all three of them!) were free as “they didn’t eat much”. That was nice of them. Their dinner buffet is excellent and a similar thing happened. We were charged only for three adults which was cheaper than what it would have been for all six of us to eat there. The buffets were very well stocked and there are a lot of items to choose from even at breakfast. The wait staff was very good.

I never saw a vending machine for sodas or water. If you want that, you'll have to get it from the bar and that's expensive. A bottle of coke was 4.50 Euros! Supposedly there is a gift shop there but it was never open and may be having some work done on it. There are mini-bars in the rooms that cost as much as the bar does.

You can walk here from the airport. Just follow the signs that you will see all over the terminals. It's about a 15 minute walk. If you have a lot of stuff, you can bring a luggage cart all the way to the hotel. Take the elevator at end of the passageway which will put you right in front of the hotel. When leaving, they will provide a shuttle bus on request which is great if you have a lot of baggage.

There is an indoor pool here which was of decent size and was well maintained. There was also a tennis court and small soccer field which are available for a fee. A bus will take you from the hotel to downtown Rome and it leaves each place every two hours. It’s free so I am not going to complain about the frequency of service.

This hotel is a very popular place for airline personnel on layovers as well as with passengers staying for one night prior to leaving for another destination. That being said, but as far in advance as possible as the hotel looked pretty full each night.

We had a nice stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank timman19
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Having read reviews we were wary about the hotel, however we must state that the hotel is excellent. On arrival in the early hours of the morning, we were upgraded to a Junior suite, Hotel check in staff very polite and friendly., Room was excellent as was the food. We also had another room booked for a relative travelling and again their room was very good.
Overall, food was excellent and service, especially in the restaurant where the waitress even remembered our drink order from the previous night.
The shuttle bus service into Rome was a great bonus.
Overall the hotel made us very welcome, we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone with a few days in Rome. The hotel has everything you need for a great few days break.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank pncwils
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Having read some of the experiences I was concerned about our booking.
However, upon checking in we were put into a room but unfortunately I didn't remember the number.The room was rather small but it was nicely furnished, clean and had everything I expected.
Anyway this hotel really scores on its shuttle service to and from downtown. Even if you have an early flight: within 10 minutes walking you could get the terminals.
High-speed wireless internet available in the room but it's very expensive..Why not provide it for free and have happy guests, rather than make people feel like they're being nickled and dimed?
The restaurant / bar area was cheerful and the service good. The Hilton Breakfast is fantastic there all sorts of food. Prices were on the high side, but, again, you expect that in an airport hotel.
I just would drop two lines to thank one team member of F&B departments .....Alessio..... he was unbelieveable, funny and professional at he same time..........probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. He really made the difference.

Stayed: July 2007