“Nothing special, but convenient to the airport”

Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
Maine
“Nothing special, but convenient to the airport”
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We stayed here for one night over New Year's Eve because we had an early flight out of Rome on New Year's Day. I thought this hotel was competitvely priced (173 euros) considering we would have paid much more if we stayed in central Rome over New Year's. I really liked the fitness room attached to the hotel. It has a full complement of free weights and machines. There are also many treadmills, bikes, and stairmasters. I stayed in the fitness room for an hour. The fitness room is open from 7:00AM to 10:00PM everyday. It is free. The room was small, but clean. The toilet in the bathroom had water pressure problems and we had to call for maintenance once during the stay. The beds were fairly hard and low to the ground. As a Hilton Gold member, we were upgraded to an executive floor room. They gave us two bottes of water and access to the executive lounge. The lounge was nothing special with only wine available (no beer or hard liquor). It was poorly staffed and only occasionally restocked. Make sure you are on time for the shuttle into Rome. It leaves on time or a minute early and waits for no one.

• Liked — Fitness room and proximity to the airport
  • Disliked — lack of free internet, beds
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChinaShrek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed December 19, 2006

We booked our last night here because our flight back home was at 7:00 a.m. best decision of the entire trip. Great rooms and similar to the ones back home. Nice shower and nice restaurant. Good customer service (possibly because it's an American chain) and easy exit from Italy.

• Liked — easy access to terminal
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelgirl2690
Houston
Reviewed December 2, 2006

It is obvious that the Rome Airport Hilton thinks they have a corner on the market. The location may be convenient but don't waste your money! I checked the website of the Hilton and thought it looked lovely. The REDUCED rate was 215E which seemed high but I thought it would save a cab fare and that might justify the rate. It is more like a Hampton Inn-the room was small and definitely not 4 star quality .The bathtub did not have a stopper in the tub and it took about an hour for the "technicians " to correct the problem. The food in the restaurant was one of the worst meals I have ever had. How can a kitchen ruin a pizza and gnocchi in Italy of all places!The pizza tasted like a dirty pan and the gnocchi like glue.Even the reception was poorly run. We were waiting for someone to pick us up and they were 40 minutes late so we were concerned they were lost. We had checked out and the receptionist told us the only way to call their cell phone was to return to our room and use the phone there- We were told it would only cost about 1 or 2 Euros.After the call I came downstairs and they insisted it was over 15 Euros.Thank God our stay at the Hilton was only one night. It was truly a nightmare!

• Liked — modern bathroom
  • Disliked — the restaurant and personnel
  • Tips/Secrets — eat in the airport not in the hotel restaurant
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank CCPatton

Travelers are raving about these Fiumicino hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2006

How can people complain about the 'long' walk to the airport terminal from this hotel?? It was a perfect place to stay for us, since we had a 7 am flight, and we wanted to roll out of bed, follow the moving walkways and arrive at the ticket counter, which we did. It's not a cheap night, but we did probably get an extra hour of sleep, since we didn't have to fuss with getting a cab out of Rome to get to the airport on time. We stayed in Rome for dinner, and took the train from Trastevere station to the airport in the late evening. The TV in our room showed the schedule of the next morning's departures, the wake up call arrived on time, and we got to the airport in plenty of time.

• Liked — proximity to airport
  • Disliked — no atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank Gemini607
United States
Reviewed November 29, 2006

I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel after reading some of the reviews, and was pleasantly surprised. I did not eat in the hotel or use the shuttle, so I can't comment on anything but the room, which was very modern, a nice change from the "charming" hotels I've often experienced in Italy ("charming" often meaning small, a bit run down, etc).

I had a large room with all the amenities you'd expect from a Hilton: comfortable, king-size bed; lots of fluffy towels (not usually found in most Italian hotel rooms); power shower; toiletries. Of course, the minibar and room service were overpriced, so I didn't use them.

It is a bit of a walk from the hotel to the international terminal (C), but with a luggage trolley, it wasn't bad - I made it in about 15 minutes.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone with an early/late flight that wants to be very close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank FrequentDeltaFlyer
Eau Claire
Reviewed November 25, 2006

The Rome Airport Hilton says it is the only hotel within the airport terminal. Technically, that may be the case but it is a loooonnngg walk past the A/B/C terminals, past the parking garages, and outside (albeit covered) to the front door. It is overpriced and average at best. If we had not had an extremely early morning flight I would not have considered it. Next time, even with an early flight, I will pay much less for a room nearby and pay for a taxi. When we checked out at 4:00am we learned that the covered walkway to terminal B was closed and we had to wait for a bellman to shuttle us to the terminal. Vastly overpriced for a mediocre room.

Stayed November 2006
6 Thank EC_Traveller
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I read most of the reviews on this site before staying at the Hilton Roma, and was a little nervous before I got there. In all honesty, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hilton Roma. My comments are:

Negative:
* No real character - I felt like I could have been any where in the world. But this is often looked at as a positive by jaded business travellers.

* The walk from the terminal to the hotel is absolutely exhausting. I am in my late 20s and am quite fit. But I was absolutely knackered by the time I dragged my bags along endless corridors, down the lift, and across the driveway to the hotel. It took at least 15 mins, and I had about 40kg of luggage. On the way back to the airport, I got a lift in the shuttle bus. Ask them to do this - they will not offer.

* The restaurant is very overpriced and the pizza I had there was not at all good. I received a voucher at check-in for half-price breakfast.

* The room service menu is quite limited. But you can order anything from the restaurant menu. So go down and have a look at that menu which is more extensive (and expensive) if you can't find anything you like on the standard menu.

Good:
* Spacious and modern room. Very comfortable, and by Rome standards it was massive. The bed was particularly comfortable. Great black-out curtains and sound-proof windows. In all, a very pleasant room.

* Modern and well decorated public areas.

* The price, by Standards, was a bargain at about 130 Euros.

* The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and professional.

Overall:
While the Rome Hilton may not be the most atmospheric hotel, if you need to stay at the airport, it is a great choice. Modern and well decorated rooms, nice public areas - in all exactly what you expect from a chain such as Hilton. The location is very convenient, but the walk with a lot of bags is very tiring.

• Liked — The rooms were really comfortable!
  • Disliked — The walk from the airport with heavy bags
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for the shuttle bus to take you back to the aiport if you have a lot of luggage
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank Adam C