“Walking Distance to FCO, Average Experience”

Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fiumicino
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Walking Distance to FCO, Average Experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

Very convenient to the airport. I read several reviews that you could walk to the airport terminals; this was one of the reasons for staying.
As a Diamond VIP, I stay at Hilton all the time and my overall experience was average.
When we checked into the hotel, it was very busy with people standing all around. It was very confusing and disorganized. It took entirely too long to check in, but waited patiently. I was upgraded to the Executive Floor (5th floor). When I arrived on the floor, there is actually a dedicated Hilton Honors Check-in with no line. I wish I had known that in advance.
Room was average, for a Hilton. I appreciated the slippers, and bathrobe.

Executive Lounge was ok. Very small for the size of the hotel. It was very busy, food and drink took a while to be replenished. I felt bad for the one employee working the lounge. Could use some more staff.

We ate in the restaurant. They serve a pretty decent Buffet in the evening. Meal was pleasant, no complaints. Beverages are extra.

If you walk to the hotel from the airport, you can bring the luggage cart with you. Tip-leave the luggage cart in your room so you have it for your departure. If you have an early flight the next day, all the carts in front of the hotel are gone.
Average experience, would stay again for its convenient location to the airport.
I would not recommend staying there for your vacation in Rome. You can do much better elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CARose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed at the Hilton Airport in Rome for convenience. Our girls were arriving at 6.25am from Sydney and this was the best option for us. The room was quite large (for an Italian hotel) and very comfortable but pricey. We had a view of the roof top - not nice! They charged for internet, breakfast was expensive and the restaurant food was nothing to write home about, however they did offer a set menu that included a main course, dessert and a beverage (wine, beer, soft drink) at a reasonable price. But the best thing about this hotel is that there is a walkway that leads you straight to the airport terminal and signs everywhere leading you to the hotel. For convenience nothing beats this hotel. The other thing is that they allowed our girls to shower and change without extra charge.

• Liked — The convenience and easy with which you walk to the airport.
  • Disliked — The inflated cost of food and beverage.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank travel_loverSydney
North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We just got back from a wonderful vacation that started and ended in Rome. Being Hilton Honors members, we wanted to use points to pay for three nights accomodations at a Hilton property in Rome, and the Hilton Airport was the only one accepting reservations for rewards guests at that time. It ended up to be a great choice.

We arrived at DaVinci airport exhausted, and it was wonderful to be able to just walk straight to our hotel. The airport is very busy and loaded with various signs, so you must look carefully to find the subtle Hilton Airport signs directing you, but they are there. We arrived at the hotel before 10 a.m. and they already had our room ready and waiting, so we could get a little rest right away.

They put us on the 5th floor, which is the executive floor, and that is where the nice free lounge for Honors guests is. You use your room key to enter the lounge, and there is a lovely hot breakfast every morning. Also, there are finger sandwiches, fruit, pastries, little pizzas and things like that offered at different times during the day. There are wines, beer and various liquors available, all at no cost. The lounge also includes television and an internet station, but charges apply for the internet use.

Important note, do not let them put you in the room right outside the lounge. It is very noisy until late. They will try to give you that room, but just insist they put you in a room further down the hall.

Our room was comfortable and completely adequate, even including a few nice touches like heated towel bars.

We spent little time in our room and did not use the pool or hotel restaurant. We were in Rome! The Hilton offers a reliable free shuttle to and from the city every other hour. It's a full size bus and quite comfortable.

The inconvenience of not staying right inside the city of Rome was alleviated completely by the ease of staying near the airport and using the Hilton's shuttle to go back and forth to Rome. It took about 30 minutes to make the trip one way.

All in all, we were very pleased. The hotel is a good place to change your dollars for euros, also. The Hilton Airport is not new or flashy, but is an excellent choice for "points" travelers.

If we were going to be paying for the room and not have access to the executive lounge, my review might be quite different. If that were the case, I would have continued to shop and compare many different hotels in Rome until I found an excellent value. The Hilton Airport is quite expensive, as is the restaurant, and I would not classify it as a luxury hotel.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone considering a Rome vacation.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank BonnieCWJ
Calgary, CANADA
Reviewed September 12, 2007

My husband and I and our 3 1/2 year old son stayed here for 2 nights in early September. We had originally only planned to stay here for one 'night' but due to a terrible experience in Tuscany (see review for Pieve di Caminino) we ended up here for 2 full 'days'.

We were on our way to the Four Seasons Provence and were not thrilled about being stuck at the airport for and extra day BUT we were very pleasantly surprised!!!

We had never stayed at a Hilton before. Lobby decor was nice and front door and front desk staff were very friendly. They have a separate 'Kids Check in Desk', similar to some Fairmont Hotels, so that was a nice touch. We arrived without any notice hoping they could accommodate us in the 'King Executive Room Plus' that we had reserved for one night. No problem. The cot for our son was delivered to our room within minutes.

Room service was very quick and the food was good.

Walkway to Airport is good (10 minutes with a child).

Rooms were very clean, ours must have been renovated - modern decor - plenty of bath amenties, front hall closet plus separate walk in closet, tea kettle, no coffee maker (but there was instant coffee if that suits you), good iron and a good sized TV with comfortable seating. Housekeeping was very prompt.

Access to computers was not free ( $ .35 per minute) but they had a number of terminals throughout the main floor and in the Executive Lounge. We were always able to find one available.

The Executive Lounge was very good - it offered hot breakfast , snacks and cocktails in a small but comfortable area with television and had a good selection of newspapers. Good service from the staff as well.

Pool - Indoor but had sliding glass doors at both ends, which gave you access to the outdoors.

Restaurant - We had the buffet dinner one night - excellent dinner and very reasonable (kids free), great play area and TV for small children, our waitress was our room service waitress from the night before and she remembered us. The Chef took our son for a tour of the kitchen too!

Given our previous misfortune we thank the Hilton for offering us a pleasant stay for our last couple of days in Italy.

• Liked — Executive Lounge
  • Disliked — Although clean & adequate, bathroom was small
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KThomson
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed September 12, 2007

The Hilton ROME airport! The location is what I really liked about this location. This is my second trip to Rome and the last time I stayed in an overpriced, small hotel in the city center. This time I was looking to do Rome a little cheaper, without staying in a box. The Hilton Rome airport is part of the FCO Rome airport, this is the airport most major airlines fly info… Just to note cheap (crap) airlines like Ryanair fly into the other airport. The Hilton is connected to the airport via a moving walkway. 5-7min walk/ride over.. This hotel offers a wonderful coach bus to the city center. FOR FREE! It depart the Hotel every two hours from 8am – 10pm and the city center return is every 2 hours from 9am – 11pm. Most of the time it takes about 35 min, but traffic time could up to an hour. Now this is a very nice perk, to get from the airport to a hotel in the city center a taxi ride could be about 40 EURO, and train ride is 9Euro, per person, but then once you get to the main station you have to still get to your hotel. I saved a ton of money staying at this nice airport location. The hotel is clean, and really a nice room. The executive floor and lounge were also very nice, I did not like the “internet PC” in the Ex lounge have a PER MIN rate that is out of this world. The service in the lounge was very nice.. Over all a nice place to stay, I was a little worried about aircraft noise, but did not hear one. This place was built to make sure it would be a nice airport location. The staff was ok.. I did have an issue with one of the restaurant staff, and reported it to management and did make good on the problem.. So I did like how they replied to my complaint. I did also notice that the stuff did not understand my English.. So this did cause a little problem at times. But overall it was a nice stay.

• Liked — The FREE Bus to Downtown
  • Disliked — The Staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank dcl80
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I was only there from 4 pm Sunday to 7:00 am Monday morning

Pros
Conveniently located via walkway to Airport Terminals
Interior is aesthetically pleasing.
Bed was great and room cleanliness was .......OK
Complimentary buffet breakfast.
Downtown bus shuttle every 2 hours

Cons
No Coffee machine in room
No clock in room
Only 4 clothes hangers in a double room.
Lobby Shop wasn't open at 4:30 pm.

Of Particular Note.
- This is kind of curious - I was bumped from my flight out of FCO and my checked bag went missing. I therefore had no toiletries or clothes. The front desk was able to supply a razor and a toothbrush. but I since the lobby shop was closed at 4:30 (curious part) I had had to walk back to the airport for the other toiletries.
- This is bizarro. I went to the restaurant at 5:30 am to see if I could scrounge up a glass of OJ. They weren't fully set up for breakfast yet but the juice counter was ready and the girl there let me help myself to a glass of OJ while I stood there. I came back later at 6:30 with my companions. I was told by the same girl that I had already had my breakfast and couldn't have a second one. A second one?!? At an all you can eat buffet breakfast?!?
I don't normally eat breakfast so didn't complain and just sat with my companions. I was then told by a waiter that by being the 5th chair at a table for 4 I was blocking his "access" to the drink station (I was 10(?) feet away and there couldn't have been 20 patrons there at the time in a restaurant that probably seated 150+.) and had to move to another table. Then he complained in Italian to the hostess that I had already had breakfast at 5:30 and didn't leave a tip (for an OJ I had standing up at an all you can eat buffet for a waiter I didn't even see?). Good night nurse!

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — Breakfast service staff in restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank NNC0

Travelers are raving about these Fiumicino hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed at the Hilton for one night following a week's stay in a villa near Cortona. I had debated whether we should stay somewhere in the center of Rome, but decided the aggravation of getting to and from the airport wouldn't be worth it. For once I was right! I booked through my company travel agent for €210. I ended up having extra euro so paid cash upon checkout.

We arrived pretty early to check-in as we also had to drop our car rental off - about 9:15 am. Our check-in went very smoothly - the woman at the counter was very friendly and efficient. Of course our room wasn't ready yet, but we were prepared for that as we wanted to use the shuttle to go into the city. We were able to store all of our bags (5) in a locked room behind the check-in desk.

The shuttle runs every 2 hours into the center of Rome beginning at 8:00 am and drops you near the Teatro di Marcello, a few blocks away from the Colosseum. Considering it would cost about 50 euro to take a cab into the city, the shuttle is a great service provided by the Hilton. The pickup time isn't guaranteed, of course, because of traffic, so we didn't get picked up until 10:20 am, but that was fine.

We only spent a couple of hours in the city and went back to the hotel around 1:00 pm. We had lunch in the Bistro at the hotel. As soon as we sat down we were brought a glass of sparkling wine and a little appetizer on the house. After we ordered I went to check on our room and found it was ready, so after lunch we went upstairs to relax. Our bags were brought up very quickly. The room was perfectly fine - clean and good sized. The sheets and towels were very nice. We especially enjoyed the air conditioning, although it didn't seem as cool the next morning. The toilet didn't flush right away - the button had to be pushed 2 or 3 times - but it wasn't annoying enough to have to call maintenance.

As mentioned in other reviews, the minibar is really overpriced. I thought there was a shop on premises to buy some water, but there isn't (even though the website states there is). My husband went to the bar and was able to purchase a big bottle of water for €4 whereas it was €9 in the room. Yes, a can of Diet Coke was €4.50!!

Also, there were only a couple of times I could hear an airplane. I was worried the noise would be bothersome, but it wasn't at all.

The next morning checkout went very smoothly - we left a little before 7:00 am. My husband was able to find a luggage cart someone had left near the elevator. It was about a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to the terminal, but it wasn't too hot - probably because it was so early in the day. The walkway does take you past the parking garage, so I'm sure that also adds to the heat as the day goes on.

We had an enjoyable stay at the Hilton, and found the staff very professional and polite. We would definitely recommend this hotel if you have an early morning flight or need some time to recuperate from a long flight to Rome.

• Liked — Conveniently close to the airport
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple