“Nice surprise”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2012

While visiting Ireland I came accross this unique setup in the Kildare outlet. Bustling with atmosphere this very busy restaurant serves up excellent real Italian food. Staff are courteous and quick while being friendly.

I had the ravioli with porcini mushrooms which were as good as any 5 star restaurant. It was a nice surprise to find such a high quality restaurant in an outlet. Wine selection was very unusual, cake and pizza all cooked 'in-house', coffee was excellent too.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Went here for a birthday meal with family. Waitress didn't understand us at all, very bad English. Let us order and then came back to tell us we couldn't have what we ordered and asked us of we wanted anything else instead without giving us a menu (yeah love, we just memorized the whole thing). I took her suggestion of the lamb. Then shoves the main course on the table before we were finished with the starters. Hovered around like a fly for the first 20 mins and then disappeared when we actually wanted the bill.

Then I proceeded to feel like death for the rest of the day, culminating in me passing out and puking said lamb all over my bathroom. Happy Birthday to me. Thanks for everything l'Officina!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was blown away with this restaurant, most unexpected for a shopping outlet far from anywhere.
For starters I indulged in a succulent mozzarella, ripe tomato and pesto salad served with warm bread. I then had the special of the day, a risotto with saffron, sausage and creamy cheese which was absolute top class. The wine list looks impressive but as I was driving I couldn’t try any but I did purchase a bottle to take home and I haven’t tried it yet. The coffee is amazing, dense and aromatic. The place is really busy but the staff are friendly and efficient. Having lived in the UK I am used to hectic restaurants and admit I actually enjoy the buzz. The decor is quite nice too, next time I will go early as they seem to stock plenty of newspapers which is always a good sign in a restaurant.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Staff here are friendly but the Food was poor and lacked flavour with limited choice on the menu.
Coffee was nice

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have been before and thought it would be a great place to bring my other half as I don't get to have dinner with him too often and so yesterday we ventured in with my assuring him it was a great place.

When we arrived and it was just shy of 5pm and not busy, we waited to be seated and waited and waited and then more people arrived and still the staff continued to glance our way and continue to do other duties rather than seat us and then go about wiping tables or putting cutlery on them. I eventually asked the lady at the counter if they had finished serving for the day and she said no 7pm so I just went back to waiting to be seated. A few minutes later a lady did come to seat us and asked if we wanted a window seat and we said yes she handed us the menus and pointed down the restaurant towards a window.

We sat down and chose our dishes and then waited for our orders to be taken, and waited and eventually a waitress came and we gave our orders to her. We had to repeat ourselves a few times and explain to her what we wanted, my partner asked for a ciabatta and she proceeded to show him with her hands what it looked like, he knew what it looked like he just wanted to order one.

After about ten minutes water was brought to the table as were the cutlery and then we waited for about 20 minutes for our soup and about ten minutes later I was given the latte I had ordered on arrival.

We had ordered Carrot and Parsnip Soup however the soup seemed to just concern an extremely over powering parsnip and was hard to eat but in sheer hunger I worked my way through it though my partner decided he couldn't finish it.

After this time we waited about another 20 minutes for our next course as ordered to arrive and to our surprise another waitress arrived after 20 minutes and asked if we wanted to order anything else to which we replied we had and were waiting.

Another 10 - 15 minutes passed and eventually we received our bagel and ciabatta as ordered nearly an hour before. The restaurant still wasn't very busy and there were ample staff so it surprised us service was so poor.

My partner didn't finish his ciabatta as he found it very dry and the waitress had advised on ordering there was no mayonnaise in the restaurant so we accepted this as the reason for the dryness of the ciabatta.

Another waitress came to clear the table and said is everything ok and before we had a chance to answer she said the portion was just to big and took the places and walked off.

I was so disappointed and to be honest embarrassed and rating the place so highly that I wanted to treat my partner to dinner there. NEVER AGAIN. I'll bring a packed lunch if I ever go back to the Kildare Village honestly.

1  Thank helenam8