“The view wasn’t worth it”

The Lions Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 37 Restaurants in Matala
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We chose this restaurant over all the others in the beach because of location and the upstairs terrace which was a beautiful view of the beach and caves. I ordered the lamb and could not eat it. It was tough and tasteless so disappointing. I ate the fries which were sparse. My friend offered to share her grilled squid and it was also very tough and rubbery. My spouse ordered the souvlaki and the pork was fatty, although he finished it all without complaint. The service was ok. I would not recommend this place for a meal.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Ended up here having decided we wanted lunch near the beach. We'd spent the morning visiting Minoan sites and wanted to see the caves in Matala.

This had the perfect view of the sea and the caves so we stopped.

I had s greek salad. My husband had fillet steak. I made the wrong choice. His looked wonderful. Mine was downright terrible. How can you go wrong with a salad,? Answer - order one here. 1 piece of very thinly sliced pepper. Way too much raw onion. Over-ripe tomatoes. No seasoning and no dressing. They even managed to make it look unappealing. To top it all off, it wasn't even feta cheese but some un-brined goats cheese that had a horrible texture and equally unpleasant taste.

The saving grace was the freshly squeezed orange juice. My husband enjoyed his but this is my review and i say try a different restaurant

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

We visited the place two times. The staff is very polite and eager to help. We had a very nice grilled calamari dish as well as grilled octapus, which was average. The prices are reasonable and the view is excellent.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed June 12, 2018

The staff were amazing always happy and just waiting to provide a positive experience and service to you. The food is also good so its a win win.
The loos are clean and accessible. Kostas and the lovely blond waitress make your day with their humour.
It a guaranteed good time just watching the time slip by.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

If businesses is slow, the co-owner, a classic Greek female beauty, will ask you to come in and sit down. Don’t! First have a look at the food trays in the kitchen. Rabbit, lamb, chicken, fish....the cook will explain the different foods for you. You will be delighted, I promise. Than you may sit down, order and enjoy the view, the drinks and the food. Avoid the times between 12:30 and 14:00 when it is really busy and you won’t get the attention you deserve.
Fantastic: the Meze plate - not you usual stuff there. Try it!
Disappointing: no free fruits after the meal.

Date of visit: June 2018