Well where to start? The hotel itself is well kept and clean (except for the pool). As usual we had read the previous reviews about the hotel and were quite pleased with what we had read. Family run hotel for families, clean, good resort etc. BUT....
Firstly the pool is too small for the number of apartments that are there. The kids called it the postage stamp. It had scum from sun cream and sweat around it and was not cleaned properly. Old Man Kostas 'cleaned' this with a broom himself every few days using some sort of cleaning mixture which he then threw into the pool.
The gym equipment was mostly in need of repair or was broken.
We arrived on Monday 12th August 2013, shown straight to our room, had the air conditioning etc. all explained. Nice touch that being included in the price. We travelled as a family of four. Our two kids soon made friends with a number of other British kids staying there. Nice bunch, usual stuff ,skylarking in the pool, no conflicts or arguments. All got on really well. Kids in pools splash right? Our 14 year old son decided to jump/dive into the pool. This caused a splash, there was no-one likely to have been hit when he did so, but he splashed water on the side of the pool. Old man Kostas - must be in his late 60's early 70's - ran from the bar area, where he presides, screaming at our son. We let it go as we thought it was to do with the fact that he deemed it to be dangerous. However, later the same evening a bunch of Italian kids including a couple of adults were skylarking amongst themselves. Bombing, splashing pushing and shoving and so on. Old Man Kostas was tidying up the pool area and just watched them. My wife also watched this for 20mins & noticed that they weren't told off at all.
The following day after a bit of a late night our son came down to the pool at about 11 a.m. Kostas immediately ran from the bar again and screamed at him, telling him not to splash water. This time we didn't let it go. I (Dad) confronted Kostas on the poolside. An argument ensued. Sarah, the Thomson rep who is really good, happened to arrive at the hotel just as this was happening. I had checked to see what time she was due, but Old Man Kostas went straight to her and it was clear to see that he was asking her to speak to me. As I wanted to make a complaint to her about him anyway, I went over. My wife had just come down to the poolside to be told that the row was on going and that Kostas had berated our son even though he had not been in the water yet. She was furious and also then became involved. The Hotel manager (possibly Christos) became involved due to the language barrier. When it was pointed out what had happened on both days, we did insinuate that Kostas did not like the English, both he and Christos suggested that we were lying yet there were a number of people who had seen both incidents which we mentioned and agreed to tell Sarah our rep.
Although Kostas realised then that he had been wrong and apologised profusely, it put a whole downer on the holiday. The other children that had been in the pool and were friends with our two, got out & they all went to play table tennis instead.Our 9 yr old daughter had to be persuaded to go in the pool afterwards as she was scared to do so for fear of being told off..
During the rest of the holiday, Kostas did tell other children to stop certain things, but never an adult, who may have been doing the same.
Ok rant over.
The resort is very small, but most of the restaurants serve good food. Cockney Café definitely a must. Because Polichrono is part of the Greek mainland the resort is easily reached by road by people from bordering Nations. Lots of Eastern Europeans now travel there and the resort seems to have lost the traditional Greek feel to it that seemed to be prevalent in previous reviews. Signs in the souvenir shops informing customers not to steal. The atmosphere was a bit intimidating to be honest.
Also didn't like the fact that cars could drive along the seafront promenade at all times regardless of how busy it was. So much so that one restaurant which had seats outside had to move guests that were eating to let a car get by.
I would not recommend this hotel to those travelling with children between the ages of 8yrs -17yrs. The staff generally were very friendly and the hotel, as mentioned is cleaned regularly, but there is no entertainment and children could become bored very easily if they don't make friends there. There is also the Kostas element.
Be wary that the Hotel and Thompson are, apparently, parting company from next year. The Hotel wants people to book it directly through them and, yes, even we were asked to come back.
The beach in Polichrono is very small and busy. There are other, far nicer, beaches in other resorts and bays that are close by.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a beautiful village of Chalkidiki in Polychrono, the peninsula of Kassandra, awaits a modern complex 4-star hotel to offer a very relaxing and beautiful moments. The Hotel Royal combines natural beauty, located between green hills and close to the turquoise waters of the Gulf Toroneos, with all the amenities a traveler wishes for a memorable vacation. The complex consists of 5 buildings with 71 (23 apartments and 48 studios) fully equipped rooms and features two swimming pools with sun loungers and parasols. The hotel can accommodate travelers with disabilities, as well as all public areas are accessible. In the beautiful outdoors, you can enjoy swimming, sunbathing while reading your favorite book plus ordering drinks and snacks throughout the day from our highly organized pool bar. Every week a barbecue night takes place, with a lot of delicious food. If you wish to swim in the crystal clear turquoise sea of the region, the distance to the beach is not more than 3 minutes. If you want to stroll or shop, the village center is just 2 minutes from the hotel. The Hotel Royal is the ideal destination for family vacations and promises to provide you with everything you have in your home and ... much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Apartments Royal
- The Kostas Hotel Polichrono
- Kostas Hotel Polichrono
- Royal Hotel Polichrono, Greece - Halkidiki