“Genuinely friendly and extremely obliging”

Moustakas Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 31 Restaurants in Polichrono
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This taverna is away from the main beach "strip" and if you enjoy genuine Greek food with a welcoming host, then venture off the beaten track & visit Moustakas. Upon our arrival a table was moved to a nice spot in the garden and we were greeted by I believe the owner's granddaughter who was extremely helpful whilst we made our choice from the menu and were offered bespoke dishes to our tastes. Although not on the menu, we started off with a plate of their home grown olives and the granddaughter had great delight in telling us the story of how and where they had been harvested and preserved. Our main meal was a sharing platter of cod with mixed vegetables, once again constructed according to our tastes. We were then offered a complimentary selection of home made deserts - a chocolate mousse and grandma's rice pudding sprinkled with cinnamon which was delicious! Although many items on the menu were not available (as I believe they alternate daily dishes??), they were more than happy to prepare something to suit our palates, which I'm sure many of the beach restaurants would not offer.

1  Thank YorkshireLad70

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to Moustakas (twice) after reading several good reviews & we really weren't disappointed.Maria treated us like royalty, trying out her new desert recipes on us (have the lemon one... it's heavenly!) All of the food was home cooked & delicious. My partner said the spaghetti carbonara he had was the best he's ever tasted! The wine was locally produced by a family friend & was very good. Both of our meals cost around 25 euros which included bread with various dips, the main courses, deserts & a carafe of wine! The staff are efficient & friendly & Maria even gave us tips on places to visit (Afytos..well worth it) We're just sorry that we only went twice.

1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed today the lunch i had in Moustakas restaurant. Just provides the best dishes of greek cuisine, really a great choice, not only in Polyxrono but in Chalkidiki generally. I cannot think a better value for money restaurant, even in my hometown Thessaloniki.

1  Thank Nikos81
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This restaurant is on the edge of the village but is an excellent one to visit. Maria is very anxious to please and really welcomes British guests. If you enjoy genuine, traditional Greek fare at a very reasonable price, this is well worth a visit. A meal with salad, main course, dessert and a glass of wine in only ten euros.

1  Thank Jame T
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a restaurant that has been around for decades and it's a long time favourite among locals. My family and I visit it regularly over the years and never had a bad meal. All dishes are freshly made with first class ingredients, reminding me of good home cooking. Almost everything in the menu is prepared by the owners themselves, which is quite rare even in high end restaurants.

We visited it twice this year already, and I'm happy to say that nothing has changed, it is still serving high quality food in good prices. Service is efficient and professional and all dishes arrive quickly and on time (i.e. starters come before main course, which is not a given in many restaurants in touristic places).

I have been informed by the owners thath they introduced a set three course plus drink menu for 10 Euros, which is great value, although I have not tasted it. All in all, it is definetely the best restaurant in Polichrono by far, and certainly one of the best restaurants in Halkidiki. Highly recommended.