“A business travelers view on a-rosa”

A-ROSA Scharmutzelsee
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Bad Saarow
Lippstadt, Germany
“A business travelers view on a-rosa”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I ended up booking the a-rosa Bad Saarow since it was difficult to get rooms in Berlin. I didn't accept paying Euro 250 + for a room in a youth hostel. Admitted it was several trade shows going on and I had to book last minute.
Long story short, I booked the a-rosa in Bad Saarow, as it offered good value for money compared to the price level in Berlin these days.
It was a bit of a drive (66km) from where I had to be in Berlin, but the Autobahn was pretty low traffic and it took reasonable time to get there. That said, a-rosa is very remote and I guess it's intended to be so for obvious reasons. When I arrived the receptionist was very welcoming and wanted to give me a full run-through of activities I can do the next days. We cut that short after I said that I'd only stay for 1 night and had to leave early.
Since I arrived late, there was no point in joining the excellently looking buffet dinner, which was only running for 20 more minutes or so and I decided to test the bar menu. It was rather limited choices and I ended up selecting some pasta, which was excellent! The service was very charming and I enjoyed staying at the bar. If I had more time I'd definitely tested the buffet.
The room was not the most modern I've seen recently, but met my expectations. It was very clean and the bed was quite cosy with a descent selection of pillows. The AC noise was quite annoying so I had to turn it off to get to sleep. I opened the windows instead. There was a warning message at the balcony door informing you about possible insect "invasions", but that didn't happen to me and I had an excellent rest that night with a lot of fresh air.
I felt very relaxed the next morning, couldn't participate the breakfast, which starts at 7, because I had to show up in Berlin quite early.
Overall the a-rosa Bad Saarow is a good place to go to, even for business travel, if you don't mind it being remote. You somehow have to stay at a-rosa as there is not much (restaurants) around. I consider going again for vacation somewhen in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Myself and a number of UK colleagues stayed at this resort for a weekend during late August hosted by a German company.

The Resort is large with a main building with adjoining multi-story outbuildings and of course a clubhouse to entertain the main reason for staying or visiting - Golf.

check in was absolutely perfect for a group of our size (about 30 people) and arriving pretty late into the evening. My first impressions of the room was clean, spacious with a decent bathroom. The TV was oldy style ( Not flat screen) however there was a mini bar (which was not used).

The odd thing was after quite a thorough search i could find no Iron, Ironing board, kettle, cups or coffee/Tea of any kind - which I have to say disappointed. I am not sure whether other rooms were the same as I didn't ask.

Service was excellent, food excellent and all worked hard to make us feel welcome and comfortable'

All in all, a lovely place, friendly and when the sun shines - perfect.

5 Star resort with four star rooms.

other than - Great

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Berlin
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went to the Sport & Spa Resort A-ROSA for the Christmas holidays with our two young children, ages 3 and 7, in the hope of having a relaxing holiday without having to deal with cooking or playing host. It is probably an odd time to visit the hotel, which seemed to have nice outdoor facilities that we didn't really explore because of the winter weather. The personnel were very friendly, and there's a nice kids' club (kids need to be at least 3) that was well-staffed with people who actually seem to enjoy working with kids and who had a very competent and caring air about them.

The night we arrived, the hotel conducted a little torch procession to the lake's beach -- seems to be a German tradition -- where they served Glühwein and hot chocolate. Christmas Eve, a Santa came and distributed the gifts we had brought for the kids; a few carols were sung, and then the bar entertainment -- a decent piano player and singer -- performed songs for quite a while. All very pleasant.

The buffet was very good, although the offerings for vegetarians and for children could be improved. Not that I starved as a vegetarian, but the options were limited. The lunchtime bar menu also had almost nothing for vegetarians, although you could ask them to leave the meat out of the wrap, and that was fine, too. The meat-eaters in the family were in heaven. As for the kids, our 3-year-old is a finicky eater and was largely out of luck. There's no kids' section to the buffet, but they'll make pasta or french fries if you ask for them. Unfortunately, I must have the only child on the planet who doesn't eat pasta. Again, a kids' menu with a selection of four or five "standards" (chicken nuggets, fish sticks, pasta, grilled cheese) would've been nice and seems like something that wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement. The morning omelettes were excellent.

I see there's a German here kvetching about the pools and the spa. I thought they were fine. The kiddie pool is about 20 square meters or so -- not huge, but big enough for a toddler to have fun in -- and it's heated to the temperature of a warm bath. The regular pool is heated to a temperature that was fine for me, and I consider myself pretty wimpy when it comes to that sort of thing. There's an additional pool in a "relaxation area" (Ruhepool) which is very warm, but you're not supposed to swim around too much and kids need to be accompanied by adults and are only allowed during certain (very) limited hours. There are colored lights on the ceiling whose oscillations I found not particularly soothing, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. I didn't really see the point of this pool except as a place for childless adults to get away from noisy kids.

The rooms were comfortable -- bathrooms had heated floors, which I love. Fitness room looked nice -- didn't get to use it, though, nor the indoor tennis court. Massages seemed a bit pricey, so we didn't use those, either. Still managed to have a nice time. It was warm enough to take walks on some trails around the lake, and we enjoyed those. I would definitely return to the hotel and would recommend it for families with young children. Perfect for a stay of three nights or so. Might get a little tedious for longer, winter stays, but there's certainly much more to do when the outdoor weather allows it. We were there for three nights (over the Christmas holiday) on an all-inclusive deal (breakfasts and dinners, drinks not included), three adults and two young kids, and worked up a bill of about 1,900 EUR.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel M
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Located about an hour train ride from Berlin the location is just perfect: easy to reach but absolutely like old fashion spa resort in quiet countryside.

The reception was very friendly and helpful with all the arrangements etc.

The standard room was standard but offered all the basic equipment and facilities needed and additionally an imposing view over the lake after which the resort is named.

Golf courses (3x18 + 1x9) were all great (although Faldo difficult and Palmer long) and well kept. However, please note Eby course is quite far away if walking.

Dining facilities were good (however quite expensive - but it is a resort). When it comes to atmosphere the lake side restaurant was better; when to food the buffé.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bad Saarow
a-ja Bad Saarow. Das Resort.
Landhaus Alte Eichen
Strandhaus
Strandhaus
#1 of 5 in Lubben
Hotel Esplanade Resort & Spa

Been to A-ROSA Scharmutzelsee? Share your experiences!