Chateau de la Barre
Campanile La Ferte Bernard(La Ferte-Bernard)
$69
$67
Pressoir Hotel(Saint-Calais)
  • Bar/Lounge
Logis Le Saint Jacques(Thorigne Sur Due)
TripAdvisor
Les Confins du Perche(Sceaux-sur-Huisne)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Hotel restaurant Les Sittelles(Montfort Le Gesnois)
TripAdvisor
Le Manoir de la Foret(La-Ville-aux-Clercs)
  • Restaurant
Kyriad La Ferte Bernard(La Ferte-Bernard)
TripAdvisor
Logis de France Hotel(La Chartre-sur-le-Loir)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsloire valleychateau deother guestsfrench countrysidegrand salonwonderful hostsdining roomfamily portraitsthree nightsafter dinner drinksstep back in timeunique experiencehistoric propertydown to earthstayed longerinteresting guestsbeautiful setting
Reviewed September 15, 2013

When we drove up to the Chateau we were immediately greeted by Marnie and Gui (countess and count). This chateau is magnificent. Beautifully decorated as you would want to see a chateau with incredible pieces of furniture and art, right down to the dishes. Each room is different. We had the "blue room" and loved it. No locks on the doors was a bit new for me but I quickly felt at ease and knew that my "stuff" would be safe. The first night we signed up for a dinner at the chateau. I really had no idea that I would be dining with them along with their other guests that were from all over the world. We met some really nice, interesting people that night and just loved the whole "social" idea.
The best part of this visit was Marnie and Gui. They showed us hospitality that really set the bar high on the meaning of hospitality. When we packed our wine and cheese for a picnic they added another bottle of wine and more cheese. When our friends wanted his laundry done they did this too. Nothing was additionally charged as we paid for our rooms up front. Would I go back...you bet. If you want to relax in the country side of castles and chateaus this is the place to be at.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After reading all the great reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to stay at the Chateau. Marnie and guy are two of the most wonderful people we have ever met in our lives. They take great pride in making every guest feel like a part of their family and they know how to make sure that everyone staying with them is taken care of. I was sad to leave after spending 3 nights with them. Marnie set us up with our days itineraries, and on one day sent us out with a picnic basket and directions to a beautiful park where we we able to enjoy a relaxing lunch. We loved sitting with Marnie and guy after a long day, hearing about their lives and telling them about ours. On our departure guy handed us a bottle of wine to take with us to bordeaux and marnie packed a "surprise " cheese for our travels. It really felt like family sending us off for a trip. You must have the grand dinner that is offered. we sat in their beautiful dining room and got to socialize with people from around the world in a family like dinner setting. The chateau itself is beautiful as you have read in other reviews. It is well taken care of and all the rooms have authentic antiques. The bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfast in the morning was amazing and relaxing. The fact of the matter is that I would stay in a days inn if I heard Marnie and Guy were running it. Having them host you in their beautiful home should not be missed.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fef5
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Marnie and Guy were amazingly welcoming and friendly. you can tell they truly enjoy sharing their magnificent home. Instead of examining ancient art and furniture from behind a rope, we sat on it, slept in it, ate off it and had that art in our room. Guy's family has lived in this house for 6 hundred years and it seems like they kept everything of worth. The grand cycle dinner on our 25th wedding anniversary was stellar. I honestly think the 48 hours we were there will be with me forever. This experience is so worth it!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lazarushamilton
Reviewed August 13, 2013

As a history enthusiast and collector of antiques, china, and silver I was in heaven at Chateau de la Barre. The furniture, art, and table service were all orignal to the house. This beautifully preserved home is truly an experience not to be missed. We were fortunate to attend one of the Chateau's lovely dinners which transported us to centuries past and lifestyles long forgotten in our busy world. Our hosts, Guy and Marnie, graciously ensured that we not only enjoyed their home but the area as well. Marnie was most helpful in recommending day trips suited to our tastes and obtaining reservations for a lovely dinner. Our room was very comfortable and I loved waking to the sounds of the countryside.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sreisinger
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have read many of the other reviews and fully support all of the positive comments! We were warmly welcomed into Marnie and Guy's beautiful, stately home and very well cared for during our stay! We chose the smaller Blue Room which is on the 1st floor ( ie one level up from ground level.....different meanings in different countries) and at the front of the chateau. 'Smaller' does NOT mean 'small' though! I would very happily choose this room again! We had uninterrupted views of the large garden area, the moon, and also pleasant, early morning sunshine. There are shutters to block out the morning sun, if you so wish ( which we didn't). We stayed for 5 days and were pleased that there was more than sufficient hanging space ( in an attached side room) as well as drawer space in the beautiful antique furniture in the bedroom itself. There is a small balcony ( intended for standing only) from which we were able to view the almost full moon during our final evening ( after the fantastic formal dinner). We were travelling through parts of Europe by train, and heeded Marnie's valuable suggestion that we hire a car for the period of our stay. ( side comment. We have travelled extensively overseas but it is still nerve racking being in charge of a vehicle whilst driving on opposite side of road to our home country). Marnie enquired if we had a preferred interest for daily activities and then shared her extensive local knowledge to help plan each day. This is a very old and beautiful private home, so every bedroom has its' own characteristics ......eg not the same amount of available hanging space in some other bedrooms, or different bathroom configurations etc. I felt this only added to the charm but some travellers may be expecting the sterile, uniform nature of hotel rooms and therefore be disappointed. We were NOT disappointed at all. We were hoping to stay in a beautiful home that held centuries of history within its' walls and furnishings and that is what we had the pleasure to experience! Additional note: We were not familiar with the settings for the GPS system supplied with the car. We generally found that the map application I had on my IPad ( via a locally purchased ( France) prepaid microsim with data package) was more user friendly and very cost effective when considering convenience and time saved. ( I became very attached to that small blinking blue dot! ......and being able to 'place a 'pin' into the IPad app for later quick use. (particularly useful if the location didn't have a recognisable address for the map).)

Room Tip: Be aware that sounds carry very well (particularly at night) in the countryside. It didn't disturb us, but if you are a light sleeper and know that some guests are leaving early morning, you may consider closing your shutters before retiring the previous evening. Access to the chateau is across a LOOSE pebble area for both pedestrians and cars. (useful measure for security, I thought). We were pleased to see that the bedroom's small ensuite contained a good size shower cubicle rather than a shower in or over a bath tub. This is only personal choice of course.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple