“Magnificent Weekend”

Chateau de la Barre
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My cousin and I (both twenty-somethings from the US) had the pleasure of staying at the breathtaking Chateau de la Barre. Nestled in the Loire Valley, the chateau is the epitome of elegance, history, and refinement. Upon our arrival at the Le Mans train station we were greeted by Fabritze, the chauffeur, whom I highly recommend working with. We were elegantly transported across the charming french countryside to the sheep-laden pastoral lands of our new weekend home. Greeted graciously by the Count and Countess de Vanssay at the steps of their chateau, we immediately knew our experience would be unique. We stayed in the beautiful chambre aux fleurs, complete with large bathroom, adjoining room, and whimsical pink patterns throughout the decor. Marnie, the countess, plans incredible sightseeing adventures for her guests, which include: a tour through Leonardo da Vinci's home, gourmet (yet affordable) meals, visits to other chateaus, and horseback riding, if you feel so inclined! Guy, who is so kind, has incredible taste in wine and fascinating stories about his family estate. Chateau de la Barre's interior is exquisite, with museum quality paintings and furniture. The grounds surrounding the chateau are equally beautiful. One afternoon I explored the gardens and lake on the property, accompanied by Diva and Puma, Guy and Marnie's friendly dogs. While staying at Chateau de la Barre you are transported to a more refined and relaxing world. I would highly recommend using the chauffeur service and asking Marnie to plan an unforgettable itinerary for your stay. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the older part of the chateau, and our room had charming little windows that, if I reme...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine C
There are newer reviews for Chateau de la Barre

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I dreamed of visiting the Loire Valley all my life, but I didn't want to stay in a regular hotel for the experience. The Chateau de la Barre became my home away from home for six days and nights. Since I traveled by myself, Marnie, the Comtesse de Vanssay, booked the Chambre Rose for me. It was situated in the corner of the old part of of the chateau; I had two shuttered windows with window seats, a fireplace, a desk and chair and a single bed for my comfort. My bathroom had exposed wooden beams separating the dressing room from the bath, and while the bathroom was pink, a section was exposed so that visitors could see the gray stone interior of the original chateau. I felt like I had stepped back in time.

The gardens were lovely, and in the afternoons, I often sat under the trees, sketching, journaling or just dozing.

On the days that I went out and about, Marnie helped me plan where to go--the chateaux, Cheverny, Chambord, Amboise, and my favorite Chenonceau. She hired a chauffeur, David, so I wouldn't have to drive, and she called ahead to make reservations for me at some of her favorite restaurants, Relais d"Antan being one. I visited artisans and went to a wine tasting at her recommendation. The week that I stayed at the chateau, there was a series of concerts and dinners that I was privileged to attend. On my birthday, at dinner, I sat next to a retired teacher, Bernard, who taught Latin and classical Greek. Where can a tourist experience that kind of night? It was magical.

The food, the service from Marie Christine, the hospitality from both Marnie and Guy, the Grand Siecle dinner (and my birthday celebration), the tour of the chateau, and the other guests, the two German couples, the couple from Japan, the British couple, Simon and Susie, all added to the international flavor of the week.

When I need some rest and relaxation, "to die for" chocolate mousse, open hospitality, breakfast conversation in several languages, sunflower fields, a chauffeur who holds the umbrella for me in the rain, history and some magic, I hope to return again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visited Chateau de la Barre in June of 2012. The historic home, historic furnishings and the grounds are beautiful. Our suite was simply amazing, and we were able to be accommodated with adjoining suites for our teenage traveling companion. The real story here is the host. The property has been in the family for generations. Comte & Comtesse de Vanssay are both warm and inviting hosts, multi lingual, and ready to recommend and arrange local sight seeing and restaurants. I highly recommend Chateau de la Barre, it's only a short rail from Paris - it's a must do!

Room Tip: get the blue room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Chateau de la Barre is a unique experience that I would happily repeat and recommend. The chateau rivals those you would tour in the region with interesting history and beautiful decor and appointments. The gardens are lovely and the food delicious. Most especially, the Comte and Comtesse de Vanssey are welcoming, helpful, and charming hosts.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Discovered Guy and Marnie's home several years ago-been back again simply because, from the warmth of the welcome to the delightful and amusing company of the hosts plus excellent food and wine Chateau La Barre is one of the the best things about the Loire area. The rooms are gorgeous-decorated with exquisite period furniture and having magnificent views.Nothing is too much trouble for the hosts-want to improve your French? They'll help. Want to explore interesting places? They'll give advice and lots of information. Simply want to relax and enjoy the company of their two dogs and read in the shade of the trees in the garden? You've got it!!Also one mustn't forget the parrot ! An exotic and entertaining addition to the welcoming committee ! We'll certainly be returning -who wouldn't want to with all this waiting for you?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryll R
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Chateau de la Barre this past June. The renovated chateau is located in middle of a well-maintained park in the Loire. As soon as we arrived, we were welcomed by the count who gave us glasses of delicious local apple cider. We were then shown to our rooms--which were both sumptuous and comfortable and filled with period antiques. The rooms themselves have no locks, and this is the charm of the chateau--you are treated as if you are personal friends of the Guy and Marnie de Vanssay, the count and countess. They are captivating, sophisticated, and totally approachable. They anticipate our needs and supplied them before we asked. The countess knows the area well, and recommends destinations that are off the beaten track and memorable. The restaurant she recommended was superb. All in all, Chateau de la Barre is a magical, place, one that you are not likely to forget and one that you will want to revisit. Be sure not to miss the weekly dinner that is served to guests of the chateau. You dine on local food, drink the wines of the region, and engage in spirited conversations. There might be bigger chateaus in the area, but there are none with the style and panache of Chateau de la Barre. My only regret was that my wife and I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Don't even think of a summer renting of the gloomy ground floor of this old stone house adjoining the Chateau de la Barre. Although comfortable and clean there is no outside seating area or outside furniture (30 C temp. while we stayed for a three day break in late July)
Rentees are not permitted to approach the Chateau, or are able to use the seating and loungers which are reserved for Chateau guests, as is the charm of the owners.
We asked if we may sit outside and eat when Madame requested that we should dress decently. We are well presented retirees. This is not a language issue - Madame the Comptess Vanassay is an American!
We were unhappy about having to sign off an inventory which was all in French, even though all the other paperwork for the stay was in English; our reluctance added to frostiness which blighted our stay in an otherwise lovely area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Anthony E
poumique, Owner at Chateau de la Barre, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We are surprised that someone who did not stay at Château de la Barre could leave a review on Tripadvisor. However and as he explains, this client chose a self catering flat in a building beside the Chateau and he probably aimed to have the service of a guest room at the price of a seasonal rental.
This even though the difference between the “gite” or holiday letting and the guest rooms in the chateau is clearly explained on our website and confirmed by email to the client before his arrival. This also even though we provided them with brochures of activities and sights as well as information regarding exceptional concerts in private venues in the area, and also welcomed them with a bottle of local cider. This also even though we supplied dish washer tablets and other useful items self catering clients normally shop for prior to arrival.
It seems that all this was not enough for this person expectations for just a “gite” or vacation rental.
As in many holiday lettings, an inventory is made at the beginning of the stay in the official local language which is French. This client is right about the loungers in front of the Chateau which are reserved for the guests, and this also is expressed in a pdf document that we send to all our tenants before their arrival. The persons renting the self catering Cottage have the use of a table with chairs in the court garden between the picturesque fortifications or can picnic in the large garden and go everywhere except inside the chateau.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Conflans-sur-Anille
Best Western Premier Le Mans Country Club
#1 of 1 in La-Ville-aux-Clercs
La Pommeraie
La Pommeraie
#5 of 41 in Le Mans

Been to Chateau de la Barre? Share your experiences!