All reviews central location stayed one night memorable stay public lot lovely town large bathroom main square renovation brasserie cathedral french france wine curtains foods bathtub sunday
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel was under renovation when we were there but I have to say that it was a really great stay compared to other hotels in the area-- and almost all were more expensive. This is a famil owned hotel that we happened upon as we were traveling through the area. The man at the front desk was so helpful and told us the story of the hotel making us want to stay just to support the next generation taking on the enormity of the task of running the place. We enjoyed our lunch in the atrium and had a pleasant stay...the location is perfect....but do not expect modern plush surroundings... The rooms are a bit on the shabby chic side. I'd go back again.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night whilst we checked out wedding venues in the region. We arrived late and our first room was so disgusting that we had to change. The bed clothes were ripped, the carpets were stayed and the decor was extremely old and looked dirty. We don't mind a dated room but they wanted £95 (not including breakfast) which was simply outrageous. Our second wasn't much better but at least the bedclothes weren't torn! Perhaps some of the other rooms are better but we were not that lucky as to stay in an update room- but they shouldn't charge so much money for the old rooms though.

Date of stay: November 2012
1  Thank Merg2013
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife and I booked a trip to this area of France to see if it might be a place we would like to move to upon our retirement in the U.S. We selected Hotel de France, located in the historic area of Auch, via the recommendation of a French travel guide in NYC that we know. We wanted to base ourselves there and drive out to look over this area of France.

It was absolutely charming. The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable. Bruno, the hotel manager, was very courteous and spoke excellent English (for my French, while I do try, is terrible). This hotel is over 200 years old and brings back the glamor of the 19th Century. Naturally, it is not an ultra modern Paris hotel...but it should not be either.

We can easily recommend this hotel for its charm, the wonderful staff, and I must not forget the hotel restaurant, which was nothing short of excellent! However, I will say this, you better like cannard (duck). Because this area of France is famous for its duck population and its use of foie gras. I have never eaten duck served so many different ways!

And for wine...well, you are in France, right? The wine was superb. Being an American, I do not have the sophisticated pallate of the French...but I do know good wine when it passes my lips! I can recommend the Coates de Gascony- Rouge, which is the local wine of the area. It is simply delicious and non-expensive. It is served as the house wine in the better eating establishments and cafes in this area.

In short, if you want to experience France without the hype of Paris- try Auch.

Room tip: Ask for a room above the ground level but facing the city center.
1  Thank MIKBRI54
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went to Auch on the referral by a friend. We booked Hotel de France having read the reviews and looked at location. OK - so its in need of a bit of care and attention but it is obvious that this is an ongoing project. We arrived slightly before our room was ready so we got a free beer! How many chain hotels would do this?! Our room (8 I think) had lots of space, high celing and a large bathroom. We didnt eat here - although I wish we had. We parked our car on the streets behind the hotel and it was fine. The location off the hotel is great. If you want atmosphere and charachter rather than a room/hotel that is bland then stay here!

Date of stay: July 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

An old fashioned hotel in need of an update.
However the service was so friendly and efficient that it did not matter.
I had a light meal in the brasserie which was also very good.
Nice breakfast buffet.
Great location

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel

• Trip type: Traveled solo