“Rode motorcycles up to Cerro Verde - incredible!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Santa Ana
Rapid City, South Dakota
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Rode motorcycles up to Cerro Verde - incredible!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We rode our bikes up through San Isidro on a smaller road and into the National Park. Stopped for lunch and debated about a hike to the top of Volcan Santa Ana but it was a bit late in the day (it's a 4 hour hike round trip) and I wasn't feeling well enough to tackle it. The views from the top of the valley and country below, Lago Coatepeque and the volcanoes was incredible and well worth the trip without the hike.

There is an overlook stop for photos on the road up for Lago Coatepeque. And as we left the park we headed north toward Santa Ana to get better views of the lake and skyline/ridgeline road in this area. Beautiful drive/ride!

Visited May 2014

New South Wales, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nature!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Another excellent choice for those that enjoy nature and walking. This place has many alternatives to enjoy nature, from walking to great views along the paths. Great place to bring family or enjoy just with friends.

Visited December 2013
Worcester MA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Volcano Izalco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I took the 248 bus at 730am from Santa Ana to Cerro Verde. It took about two hours to get there and cost 90 cents. We arrive at 930 and pay the 3 dollars to enter. Me and a buddy noticed a group walking down towards the Izalco Trail. We asked if we can join and they were ok with it. We were with two guides and two policemen. We walk down this trail that takes about a half hour to trek. We arrive at this moonscape of a place that takes you aback. Amazing! We start the climb which takes about 45 minutes. The views from the top are spectacular. The smoke coming from the massive crater gives you a sauna experience. You can walk around the edge and get a panoramic. The climb down on the other hand is pretty dangerous. I fell about 6 times. Make sure you take your time and get some walking shoes that can handle the pressure. And then theres the return climb up. Wow! challenging for sure. Its the toughest part of the adventure but worth it all. We arrive back at the park by 1pm. A guard tells me the next bus leaves 4pm. We decided to walk down the road and maybe catch a hitch. We were rewarded with I believe the best view of the lake Coatepeque just not too far walk from the park. We walk about 2K and hitch a ride with military police. Yeah you read that right. They drop us off at the intersection and hop on a bus that arrived about ten minutes later to Santa Ana. Great day. Worth the hassle. Happy travels.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank kentmoney1
Milbridge, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“GORGEOUS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was an amazing experience for me. I went with my husband and a few of his cousins. It was an absolutely gorgeous day to be on an absolutely gorgeous volcano! I could not have asked for a better experience. I took some amazing photos of the landscape. For anyone who enjoys rummaging through trees as much as I do, this is a must visit place for you! I was even able to see some rainforest wildlife.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank runawaypalomino
Sydney, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Fees have gone up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Two months ago they started a new fee of $3.00 to enter park. Prices have also gone up for hike up Santa Ana Volcano and it now costs $8.00.

Visited May 2013