“So wonderful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nosara
Gilded Iguana Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Nosara
NC
“So wonderful”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I think i reviewed the hotel in the resuarant area - thats ok - they are almost one in the same. I so loved staying here. I felt like I was home. Everyone was so nice. I had plane problems and arrived very late. They stayed until I arrived and offered to fix me a meal. The rooms were simple but large and clean. AC is optional and gets plenty cold. WiFi is available in the bar and somowhat in the rooms. My whole experience at the Iquana could not have been better.

Many thanks to Roger, Cassandra, the lovely ladies that clean the rooms, the bartender that tried to find monkeys for me and everyone else. I really do miss you and hope i'll be back next year.

Room Tip: I liked the AC room - #10. I fely very safe!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at the Gilded Iguana last year for ten days with my family. We were going through a hard time being part of a rescue search for my brother and needed a place to stay during this time. They not only provided a place to stay but went out of their way helping us make it our command center and providing lots of support.
The staff and service was incredibly nice, we gave them a lot of work with all the people coming and going during those days and they always had a smile for everyone.
The food is simply amazing, I can almost say I tried everything on the menu and it was all fresh and yummy. The hotel might seem simple but their food is anything but. They also have awesome specials every day.
The hotel has a nice family owned feeling but a really cool, relaxed vibe. Twice a week they have live music and everyone and their moms come to the party. If you have small kids ask for one of the A/C Rooms farther from the Restaurant and you'll be fine.
It's really close to the beach and they have some activities or will hook you up with whatever they don't offer.
I'll always be grateful to the staff for making the Gilded Iguana my home away from home during a hard time. I went back a few weeks later to visit and I would never stay at another hotel when I go to Nosara.

Room Tip: A/C Rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Margarita D
New Denver, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2012

So worth finding your way to Nosara!
The Guided Iguana is like the house on the block that all the kids (vacationers) want to go to after school. Seemed to be the hang out for people staying at other accommodations near by, if just for a drink, or for dinner as well... somehow never too busy though. Great live music once a week! Super relaxed place to hang out during the day. Very close walk to the beach. The owners Joellen and Matt took care of our every need and the rest of the staff went beyond the call of duty to make us comfortable. Surf school and ATV tours were great too. All right there, very convenient. Great little swimming pool, but with the beach a short walk away I found myself going for the saltwater. As stated in other reviews, and by Joellen before we booked, there are two options for rooms, one of which is closer to the bar/nightlife, and the other is tucked away (quieter) so book accordingly. We stayed in a room closer to the bar, and found that the only alarming noise was the howler monkeys in the trees right outside our window!!! They sound a lot bigger than they are... super cute! The food was EXCELLENT and consistent... every day/night. Sunsets on the beach were beautiful with a double rainbow to top it all off. Added bonus is that the residents/businesses of Nosara have an agreement not to build within a set boundary to the beach, which means that when on the beach you look back only to lush green, not buildings on the beach. Great decision in my opinion. Highly recommend, wish we never had to leave.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I wouldn't say this was the best hotel, but not exactly the worst. It is in between a hostel and a resort/hotel. I chose the iguana from the great reviews and listed in a Costa Rica guide book (frommers?) I stayed 5 nights but it felt longer, maybe it dragged on a little. Nosara itself is a beautiful location, not at all crowded with a relaxed vibe. The beach is beautiful and perfect for surfing and swimming. I thought for sure I would be getting to bed early and having quiet lazy days, but this all came to a halt after spending a day at the iguana. The staff was friendly, the place was clean, and the room very spacious. The hotel is located very close to the beach which was a bonus. However, it was too loud for my taste. It was also the first place that didn't include breakfast which was disappointing. I stayed at a few other places around Costa Rica, but none this active and noisy. Not even in these touristy places like Jaco and Tamarindo. I guess they try to make that known to you (it wasn't exactly stated when I reserved the room), but it was beyond my expectations as far as noise goes. I would pay a little more and get a room with AC and away from the crowd. The room was right by the restaurant so if I went back, I would choose a room farther away so I could get to bed before 11pm. I had to wear earplugs just to fall asleep, and watching a movie or listening to music was out of the question without head phones. Not the most romantic setting with a loved one! Basically no privacy at all. It is a happening place to be and rightfully so. Everyone gathers there for lunch, dinners, drinks, almost constantly. There is not much else to do in the area and almost no other places to eat or get a drink since Nosara is quite secluded. They have live music twice a week and a booming restaurant with great food. I tried almost everything and it was all fantastic. But sadly not quite able to fully relax. Kitchen staff, and hotel workers were making noise around 6am and it lasted all day, constant chatter, building, you name it. There is a surf school in the back. I wasn't thrilled with the pool either, so I spent most of the time at the beach, but it was hard to get too comfortable. There was also an ever growing ant populating circulating the room. I think you will find good and bad with any hotel but make sure you research well before reserving a room, next time I would like to find a vacation rental with a kitchen for around the same price. It was a cool hotel so it wasn't all negative, but I felt it could have been better.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JuneBug83
GildedIguanaNosara, General Manager at Gilded Iguana Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Our apologies that your stay with us was not what you were hoping for. We do try and steer those with noise issues towards our quieter a/c rooms with a word of caution on our website. I didn't mention it in our correspondence before your arrival because we didn't have space in our a/c rooms, and it wasn't mentioned that it might be a concern. We're not doing any construction here at the Iguana, but daily maintenance does make noise and on a small open property, there is not much we can do to keep that noise down. I will mention to our staff to keep their voices down early in the mornings, thank you for bringing that to my attention. The pool was without question in the worst state I have seen it during your stay here, my sincerest apologies that you had to see it like that. The dust at this time of year is harsh, and the pool is quite popular, the combination of sunscreen and dust killed our sand filter, we just replaced it, and the pool looks great now. I do hope you'll come back to the Iguana in the future, let me know in due time and I will secure you an a/c room, it sounds like noise was the biggest concern for you, and those rooms are much quieter. Thanks again for your review, and all the positive comments on our staff and restaurant.
North America
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I came to fish and to learn to surf. This review hotel only. Having experienced jungle environments in Malaysia, Thailand, Borneo and Africa, we had a preconcieved idea of what to expect. We could not have been less prepared for what we experienced in the 3 weeks we were there. The owners, Matt & Joellen, have assembled a staff that is unrivaled - at every level - to graciously serve every whim or fancy of their guests. Joellen told us of the 2 rooms above the restaurant where live music is played 2 nights a week and accurately defined the experience as loud. The quiet alternative was available as air conditioned units well removed behind the pool. We chose room # 5 - above the restaurant - no AC. What a wonderful choice. Music nights? join the party - promptly over at 10:30 PM. Our rooms were spacious beyond belief - 2 rooms partitioned - each with a king size bed - one room having 2 single beds stacked as one - (we could have brought 4 people with us at no additional cost - who knew) - wooden floors in the front room and the other a fine red spanish tile. The entire space was floor to ceiling louvered windows with screens. Although we were here in February, one of the warmest months of the year, the evenings were wonderful with fresh tropical breezes producing temperature drops sufficient to require a blanket by morning every night. You cannot get this experience at the Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt Regency hotels. Their wristband, all inclusive approach, in my opinion, leaves one emasculated, reduced to an experience apparently determined in Grad school for the uninspired. Here - your spirit soars - lifted by the beautiful tropical gardens surrounding your every action, and a staff that actually loves serving your interests.The rooms are immaculate. The food is , wiithout question, the absolute best available in the area, prepared daily with fresh produce and fish from the Pacific, (200 meters away), and, more importantly, assmbled with imagination. The pride of the kitchen staff associated with preparing and presenting the fish I caught was abundantly apparent. Our alarm clock each morning were the howler monkeys - you gotta hear it to beleive it. Refrigerator and sink in the room , coffee pot if requested. Recommend without reservation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank clpipeline
GildedIguanaNosara, Guest Relations Manager at Gilded Iguana Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your rave review, we always enjoy reading our reviews, and this one almost makes me blush. Our staff has been assembled over many years, and we are fortunate to have a team of real gems. They all do a great job and are well cut out for the tribulations the service industry can present. Occasionally though, we get a really special guest and when they go above and beyond for them, it is something that I think they do genuinely, not for the pay, and not for the tip. We all enjoyed meeting you and your wife, and sure hope to see you here again some time in the future.
Irvine, California, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My fiance and I just returned from Nosara, Costa Rica on a scouting trip for our wedding in June. We stayed 3 nights at the Gilded Iguana and really enjoyed ourselves. The rooms were simple, clean, AIR CONDITIONED, and had nice, big bathrooms. The restaurant/bar had incredible food! We tried to go to as many different restaurants as we could while we were down there but always seemed to find ourselves back at the Iguana. We loved the food so much we are having our rehearsal dinner there. Thank you to Joellen and all the staff for making our first trip to Costa Rica so special.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian E
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed 2 weeks at the iguana. The food was excellent, and the service was 2nd to none. Our rooms were very clean and the air conditioning worked well. Joellen and her staff made us feel right at home, they could'nt do enough for us. I can say I highly recommend the iguana and will return next year. Oh and if you get lucky you just might get a chance to meet Roy...

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple