“Not a safe place!!”

Nosara Beach (Playa Guiones)
Book In Advance
Montréal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not a safe place!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

They break into our car and stolen all our money, passeport and credit card in 8 minutes.
You go to surfshop then you park near the beach...They know you will not surf with your wallet. We know now that the guy at surfshop work in that teem and the touristic police...touristic?!! they don't speak a word in english and they don't give a damn!!!

8 Thank Dominicoco

Montréal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Realy not a safe place!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

They break into our car en stolen all our money, credit card and passeport in only 8 minutes only. They works as a teem with the surf shop guy!! Don't ask for any help from the touristic police....touristic?? they don't speak english and they don't give a damn!!! It's realy a bad place!! It use to be safe but now is not!

5 Thank Dominicoco
amsterdam, berlin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nosara Surf Academy”
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I had my very first surf lessons in Bali, Dreamland beach, by a local. While I stood on a wave the first two times, I had no clue what I am doing - beginners luck in a dream location, for 2 days.

The second time I have surfed was in Andalucia, El Palmar. The teacher was good, but the waves sucked, so it was not really working.
The third time I was on a board, some space cookie from a famous surf school in Nosara tried to help, but the waves were more impressive than his teaching skills. In German we say "all good things come in three".

So, enough of playing around, time to get serious. Through a friend who has been in Nosara before, we got to know Kimbo, who apparently had just opened his own surf school, after having tought other surf schools in Nosara for several years before. And Kimbo finally was the teacher I did no know I was looking for. For a week I had lessons every day with him and sometimes the other teachers from his school. I loved it. I understood, I felt comfortable, it was fun, it made sense.

Kimbo has a great presence as a teacher and explains things in ways that you can follow them. And on top of it you feel safe with him when you start paddling out to the area you always thought you dont dare to swim to in the sea, where the pro's are seen.
The female teacher in his team Kimberley (who is also running Solo Bueno Hostel in Nosara) is extremely charming and adds a lot of fun in the water.
Christian, an extremely talented surfer, lives and breaths speed. At first I thought he was a slave master, but I quickly realised how much he is teaching us about speed in the water. After having gone through lessons with all 3 teachers, I have stood most green waves. I will never forget this experience and truly hope to be able to get myself under their wings again.

Surfing, in my life, is much connected to the Nosara Surf Academy! Check it out. You will find them at the Gilded Iguana Hotel, their "headquarter" and they teach at the more quiet north part of the beach playa guiones. I assure you, you will learn and enjoy the time in the water with them!

1 Thank alexsun13
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nosara Surf Shop”
Reviewed January 10, 2010

There are plenty of better places to rent a surfboard than here. They charge a $500 deposit on your credit card and then take no responsibility for crediting it afterwards. We even spoke to the manager who accused the banks and then said they had proof in the form of a record and fax and when I pointed out that the clerk just showed us that there was indeed no record or fax and that there was actually 'proof' that they'd forgotten to do it, he didn't even apologize. We went half our trip without access to more money and it took over 10 days to sort out. Rent from El Punto or one of the other great surf shops in Guiones. AVOID Nosara Surf Shop.

13 Thank Nikitadog
Vancouver Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nosara Surf shop”
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We rented boards here for a couple days - they wanted a $1000 credit card deposit, more than we had to leave for our car rental. In addition, they then gave us grief when we brought the boards back - and said we had damaged one, we pointed out is was old damage and that they had already circled it with felt pen. We didnt have to pay for it, but the attitude was all a bit much for us. Rent your stuff somewhere else!

5 Thank Westcoast08