“Nosara is the place to go if you want to really slow down.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nosara Beach (Playa Guiones)

Nosara Beach (Playa Guiones)
Book In Advance
More Info
$1,250.00*
and up
8-Day Tour: Beach and Mountains in Guanacaste
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Nosara
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nosara is the place to go if you want to really slow down.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

My lover and I originally were interested in Nosara Beach for the yoga centric town but found that it was equally renowned for it's surf. While the vibe there is super chill, getting there is not. The last 45 kilometers are hard, bumpy dirt roads that require a 4 by 4 vehicle. I drove carefully and still managed to get 2 flat tires during the week. Fortunately, there are llanteras (tire repairman) nearby when you hit these roads, and the cost of repairing a tire is only 1000 colones(2 bucks). We saw about 15 ambulances waiting on the side of the road as we made our road trip from San Jose...no joke. After witnessing about nearly 20 accidents from people trying to constantly pass each other, we understood why. Take your time getting to Nosara, and be on the lookout for the local law enforcement which is ever ready on the side of the highway to pull you over for speeding. We saw just as many police officers as ambulances and I suppose for good reason...people drive pretty recklessly in CR.

Playa Guiones(Nosara Beach) is a 5 mile stretch of sandy beach with surf spots all the way down the shoreline. The wonderful thing about Guiones is that it's not crowded. The beach is both long and wide with few people on it and so many waves to ride that you won't find locals trying to hoard or being territorial about them.

We stayed at Casa Romantica and would recommend it for the location if nothing else. Playa Guiones has no development within 200 meters of the shore, but you could say that Casa Romantica is 201 meters away. They have the only direct beach access for a hotel with a beautiful walking trail that leads straight to the ocean and the sound of crashing waves. The rooms were both clean and comfortable and came with wireless internet and a refrigerator. The food at their restaurant was fantastic and the service was friendly and attentive. You will likely be on a first name basis with the whole staff by day 2 or 3, and they will make you feel like this is truly your own little oasis. Out back towards the beach is a large pool to hang out in if you don't want the sand in your toes, and a large palapa hut/barn with hammocks underneath to catch a siesta in the shade if you need a break from the sun. Every morning, a yummy breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs, and pancakes/waffles is included in your stay, making it all the more easy to get out of bed after a great night's sleep. With only 10 or so rooms at Casa Romantica, you will feel more like you are staying at your own private hacienda rather than a hotel.

As for yoga, we did make it to a few classes at the Nosara Yoga Institute. The classes were breathtaking in an outdoor setting, perched high up on the hillside amongst the trees. The short nature walk to the elevated studio is a precursor to equanimity itself, and you will feel a sense of serenity before you even arrive.

For an unforgettable sunset and a wonderful meal, head to Luna for dinner. It is a shabby sheik restaurant with outdoor seating and plenty of specialty cocktails to make the end of the day seem even better. Make sure to grab one of the lounge couches when you get there, as you will want to get comfortable and kick back and stay a while.

The pace here is pretty glacial, and is certainly not for everyone. But if you are in the mood for a sweet slow down, this town is right for you. We'll definitely be returning hopefully sooner than later!

Visited April 2011
2 Thank papaoohmau

North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“First Rate Organization”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I just got back from a week long trip to Nosara and had to write a review of what I think is a first rate organization.

I found Fishing Nosara from Google, and set everything up with Craig over the phone before ever leaving the states. I had several phone calls with Craig where he covered every base so I knew when I got to Costa Rica it would all be "handled."

We had a group of 3 couples for a 6.5 hour trip. Craig arranged to have us all picked up at our house and driven to the beach since we only had one car that would not hold all of us at the same time. We were met at exactly the right pick-up time which is some areas of central america is not common (Manana right?) and after we signed a couple of last minute forms we were off to the beach to meet the boat. From the moment we stepped foot on the Wanderer (a beautifully restored 31 footer) I knew were we were good hand. Captain William and First-Mate Alex took care of EVERYTHING. Introductions all around, personal gear stowed and we were headed out to fish.

About the fishing......My uncle told me a story one time about duck hunting with an old grizzled guide from the Outer Banks of NC. One morning before a hunt they were all standing around and my uncle asked the old guide if he thought they would get any ducks that day......The old guide stood back and in his Okracoke accent said..."Well, some days they fly.........and some days they don't fly." This was a day when they just didn't fly. But, anybody who has done any fishing in their life knows that some days you just don't catch fish. I can say, however, that it was not due to the captain and crew of the Wanderer. William and Alex did everything but climb into the water and scout the deep blue seas themselves.

In then end you are always paying for the boat ride and if you get fish then that is just a bonus. It is why it is called fishing and not catching. We had the greatest boat ride I have had in 30 years of fishing. We saw more porpoise than I have ever seen in one pod and spent time watching them play with the boat and turn flips out of the water for our enjoyment. We also saw a small pod of pilot whales.

Lunch was provided with the charter and it was incredible. Homemade arroz con pollo was a damn sight better than the shrink-wrapped sandwiches I get on other boats.

Would I fish with Fishing Nosara again? Without a doubt. It is one of the best organizations I have ever fished with......and plan to again.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank sugarbad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Potentially great surfing, lovely beach -- until a family member was assaulted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

The title says it all -- we had a great time time here last summer -- proprietors in town were almost universally nice; it is a lovely place; beautiful beach; great food; good surfing. But then a family member was assaulted and robbed on the north end of Playa Guiones in broad daylight (midmorning). They assaulted the family member with rocks and stole a camera, watch, and other items. The family member was not injured to a great degree, but it certainly soured us on the place. The police were not able to capture the crooks and didn't seem very motivated. I hope they address the crime problem in Nosara, because other than that, it is lovely. One other thing is that it had rained a lot before we came -- the ocean was a muddy brown from the river discharging into it, and surfing was not so good -- my guess is that it is much better in the dry season.

6 Thank Robby71
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“FishingNosara.com”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

WOW, what a thrill the fishing trips with Captain Eduardo were during our Nosara Costa Rica vacation were this past week. Yes I said “trips”, we had so much fun our first hand day of fishing we went back the next week for a second half day on the Nice n Tight.

I have to start with the whole group in the office of Fishing Nosara from Craig and the reservation I made a few months ago to Manuel in the Nosara office. He made me and my whole family feel so welcome and was so helpful. This is such a top notch outfit!

What can I say about Captain Eduardo, not just a great Captain, but an equally fantastic human being. He represents everyone in Costa Rica so well. We didn’t feel like we just went fishing, we made a friend. My boys are 10, 12, and 16 and he relay made ths fishin easy for them to do.

As far as the fishing, we got off to a slow start on the first trip, but hit some Mahi Mahi about 2 hours in, and we landed two and lost one big one. Then we caught a really nice sized yellow fin tuna. We caught and released a big Needle Fish . In our 5 hours we saw hundreds of porpoises, manta rays jump out of the water, a marlin fly in the air, and a few sea turtles.

On our second trip it was just me and the two older boys, 20 minutes out of port we hit tuna by using popper lures on the top water and in 3 hours landed 7 tuna, 2 Bonita’s and a Rainbow Runner. We were beat and don’t think w e could have reeled any more in so we headed in early.

Man were the tuna fillets awesome and a local cook made Ceviche for us with the Mahi Mahi. It was out of this world.

I don’t know I can say “thanks” enough to cover how much fun we had and how much we look forward to visiting again.

I have included a few photos. We didn’t get many, too busy catching fish!

2 Thank wayne h
Montréal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not a safe place!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

They break into our car and stolen all our money, passeport and credit card in 8 minutes.
You go to surfshop then you park near the beach...They know you will not surf with your wallet. We know now that the guy at surfshop work in that teem and the touristic police...touristic?!! they don't speak a word in english and they don't give a damn!!!

8 Thank Dominicoco