“A truly great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Tucan

Casa Tucan
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nosara
Casa Tucan
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Nosara
Venice Beach, California
“A truly great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

My brother and I did a week at this place and it was JUST what the doctor ordered! Super friendly staff (they all knew my name by the second day), great accommodations and all very reasonably priced. The food was nothing short of fantastic...EVERY meal! (definitely try the breakfast burrito, and also the Aroz De Camarone)
The owners, Tyler and Tim, are a couple of characters! And the manager, Jack, was an absolute sweetheart who is very accommodating and intent on making your stay pleasurable.
The surf lessons and instructors were perfect for beginners and intermediate level surfers.

I'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: We booked our rooms and meals and lessons separate, as opposed to buying the package, and for our sc...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Murrieta, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

Casa Tucan is one of those great places where the staff is eager to know your name and your favorite drink! Lucy makes one hell of a mojito! The entire staff is amazing and they helped us with all of our excursion bookings for no extra charge! We had a great surf lesson and both my fiance and I got up within the hour lesson! Can't wait to get back there and visit with my new Costa Rican friends!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

We discoved Casa Tucan on tripadvisor and are so happy we stayed there. The staff is so accommodating, friendly and helpful. Tyler went out of his way to make sure we had rooms. Since it was a very busy weekend the four of us had to move from two rooms, one night, to one room the following night. They were very apologetic and wanted to make sure we were comfortable and happy. The location is the BEST. Easy walk to a great surfing beach. After surfing we enjoyed the good food and the restaurant and relaxing by the pool. We will definitely go back to Casa Tucan!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surfers90266
PNW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

February things are busy in the Nosara area, We found availability and decided to stay for a night. This place is primarily a surf camp but they do rent rooms if they have availability. Nice pool, small but decent depth for submerging. The property is next to Tica Massage ( wife enjoyed her massage last August). They have a great beer shack on premasis which serves a craft beer. For those that get tired of the Pilsen and Imperial this makes for a pleasant change.
The grounds are lush with plenty of vegatation. There are a number of hammocks and tables to spend the day reading and relaxing. I would highly recommend the fishing out of Garza. We caught a large red snapper, Rooster fish and plenty of bonito and yellow fin Tuna. Our captains name was Nino, a local that kept us busy catching and seeing fish.
The accomidation is basic, our air conditioner was small for the size of room it never kept up but we slept fine. Bathroom was basic as well. The price, value and location was good and would consider staying here on future trips. The people attending the surf camp seemed to be having a great time. The surf camp had a number of people from Canada and the US and I think spending the lessons and after hours together created a great deal of comradery. We didn't have breakfast included with the room so there is extra cost there.
I think this is a good place to consider, there are other locations but since I was with buddies I decided not to stay at Casa Romantica. This was a good place to bring my friends. I will probably stay at Casa Romantica next August with my wife.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
SafariSurfer, Owner at Casa Tucan, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
We are happy to say that since this review, several upgrades have been made to our facility! New air conditioning units have been installed and we are in the process of adding televisions for our guests. Our new management is taking the Casa Tucan to a new level!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

The place is even not that bad and the food is good but the owner is just the most impolite person i ever met, screaming at the poolside, leaving garbage around and most of all annoying all the stuff and guests... a suggestion to you Tyler... go back to the States and leave your stuff alone they will manage much better the place without you. I have a list of good places were to go instead... if you were wondering drop me a line and i ll give you a full list.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mariorossi65
SafariSurfer, Owner at Casa Tucan, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
We have hired new management with experience and great recommendations. Tyler is no longer managing the Casa Tucan and this, unfortunately was a circumstance where he, as one of the owner, was thrown into the management of the hotel with limited experience.
With our new manager, Jack Davis, we are making amazing improvements throughout the hotel and restaurant!
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

I booked 5 days at Safari Surf School and did it somewhat blind. I used the web and trip advisor but really didn't do my research. Was i pleasantly surprised! I could have extended my vacation for weeks, months, it was amazing. The casa tucan was the hub for everyone to meet up and have dinner, get drinks and explore Playa Guiones. I made new friends and had a blast with the staff and instructors. They make you feel part of the family.
The surf school was amazing. I was standing on the outside by the 3rd day. The instructors were smart, patient, and instilled a sense of confidence and accomplishment. The instruction is clear and caters to ALL levels. They explain each step and really emphasize the basics. Practice, practice, practice. They let you stay out longer and teach you how to read the waves.
Accomodations are basic but you are never in your room anyhow. I recommend bug spray after dark.

I would go back in a heartbeat and kind of hope the town does not explode with tourists.
It is a street of about 4-5 shops and about 4-5 restaurants, all based on yoga.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

If you are looking for a place near the beach with really fun and consistent waves, warm water, super friendly and experienced instructors, cozy little hotel with great inexpensive food, then Safari Surf School is the perfect company for you to contact. The stuff is very dedicated and they will help you get the package that works best for your needs.
I personally stayed at Casa Tucan both times that I went to Nosara (just recently in Feb. 2010 and about 5 years ago) and absolutely love it. It is not a luxury hotel by any means, but is very clean, comfortable, cozy, with a nice deep clean little pool and an outdoor restaurant that serves the freshest and very tasty food from early morning till 10pm. You can also drink their tap water which is actually very tasty too (I personally like that fact a lot since I usually like to drink tons of water after surfing). The hotel is landscaped beautifully, you can take postcard pictures, really. The staff is very friendly, relaxed and attentive at the same time. You can order your breakfast or lunch while on they way to your room from surfing and eat the food 10 minutes later after you take a quick shower and change your swimwear. The vibe is very laid back and you really feel that you are on vacation.
The beach is 2-3 minutes walking and it is wonderful. Surfers of all levels, from complete beginners to real pros, seem to find enough room for themselves comfortably. And if you wake up early, then you can have practically the whole two-three mile stretch of that gorgeous beach entirely to yourself.
The last time we went to Nosara, I was with my sister and our 70 year old mother. Being the only person out of the three of us surfing, I was honestly a little concerned that my dear women would get a little bored, but nothing like that happened. They really loved taking long walks on the beach, found a couple of places where the waves weren't breaking so they could swim, and at times when it is too hot to be in the direct sun, there are nice cafe/shopping area just 5 minutes walking from Casa Tucan, or , as we did most of the time, just hang out in the shade by the pool and the hotel's restaurant. And it is so easy to make good friend there, the atmosphere at Casa Tucan just naturally provides it. By the time our one week vacation was over, it seemed that we new all the guests, instructors and staff members for many years. :)
The 4-4,5 hours taxi ride from San Jose Airport was very comfortable and scenic. We all enjoyed it in both directions. If you arrive to San Jose at around 9 or 10 AM, I would recommend it over the SJ-Nosara airplane flight. You will save some money, get to see a lot of beautiful nature on your way to Nosara + that little plane ride might get a bet bumpy, as I remember from 5 years ago. We all liked our taxi ride and were glad that we took it. The road gets a bit rough just the last 20 minutes before you get to Nosara because it is not paved, otherwise it's a very smooth ride all the way.
Nosara seems a very safe place, you can walk by yourself at night and everything. If I can only give one advise - don't keep your money and valuables in you room, keep them in the hotel's office in a safety box. Also, make sure that your balcony door (the back door) is always locked when you are not in the room. Just in case... :)
My surf instructors were very helpful. They are all wonderful surfers and very dedicated to teaching you. Many times they were giving me advises not even while I was having my lessons, but just when they would see me do something funny and just wanted to correct it.
Thank you Owen, Rolando and Tyler! And thank you Tim for you your patience and for all the work you did setting us up for our trip!

Stayed July 2010