“Great stay, charming place!”
Review of The Harmony Hotel

The Harmony Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Nosara
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 6, 2009

I happen to stay at harmony at the same time period of the post below. Some of the points below are true, such as the need for more lighting inside the room and better bathroom fixtures. But overall, it is a very charming experience. It is not going to be a cookie cutter Marriott or Westin, and it shouldn’t be decorated like them. And how many Marriott and Westin have your own back yard with your own hammock and rain shower? And the Red Flower bath products are lovely! The room provides all the creature comfort one would need for a nice relaxing vacation.

And the dog situation. I did see a couple dogs lounging around the hotel at one point of time of other, but it was definitely not as much an issue as what the post below sated. At least I didn’t notice and dog poop and I had spent enough a lot time in the hotel grounds so if there was any, I should have noticed.

The restaurant and juice bar are EXCELLENT. If you are in Nosara area, you should pay them a visit even if you don’t stay at Harmony. The staffs are all very nice and are trying their best to help the guests.

About the price of the hotel. I wouldn’t say it is a great bargain, but you do get what your money’s worth. And I do also wonder what entitles Four Seasons Costa Rica to charge $815 for their lowest level of room. Could it be it is not at the end of a dirt road, new sheets, and more lights inside room, nicer bathroom, meticulously maintained ground, no dogs or the golf course? Some one would really need to explain that to me..

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 1, 2009

We've been to Costa RIca several times and we were finally caught with a bad experience. Don't assume that this is being written by someone expecting a Marriott at the end of a dirt road. After many trips to CR, we know what $275 a night should buy us. We picked this hotel because it bills itself a certain way and we figured that if they are charging $275 a night for a bungalow it must be pretty nice...It is NOT!
The hotel's grounds are a mess. Most of the garden is dead and all of it is totally unkept. They need to replant alot of dead plants, but obviously aren't willing to put the money into it. During our 4 nights we noticed only one person working in the garden.
The bungalow (ours was number 12) was dark and dingy. The bed was fine, but the sheets might have been nice 2 years ago but now they are worn out and stained yet still in circulation. The bathroom was dark and hideous. I have seen nicer in a Motel 6. There was literally no counter space. The sink was a simple porcelin basin with a small mirror above it. There were gobs of blue caulk lumped around the sink as if a child had applied the caulk. The shower would back up and have ankle deep standing water half way through a shower. The whole room and bathroom were so dark it was hard to see in our luggage.
The hotel is dog friendly, so much so that it is a problem. There was dog poop in many places (the sidewalk leading to our room, on our bungalow's patio, on the pathway to the beach). We love dogs, but someone needs to pick the poop up. Most of the dogs seemed to be the staff's or neighborhood "hanger's on". I wish this was a case of us getting a bad room, but over the course of 4 nights/5days we noticed the whoe property was in need. Bottom line this is not worth $275. It was more like $150 of value.
The restaraunt and juice bar are the saving grace of this hotel. The menu's were innovative and quite good. Service in the restaraunt was also above average. The healing center was hard to give a good grade to. My wife was happy with her massage from Kwan, but the healing center was once again equiped with a dog in the lobby as opposed to some sort of soothing scent. I was unable to have a massage because upon arrival I was informed that they couldn't "find" my therapist that day.
Nosara is a beautiful location and Harmony might be the nicest place there. That being said, Manual Antonio, Mal Pais, Dominical and Tamarindo are all nicer locations and some have more choices. Unless you are a surfer or a yoga enthusuast I wouldn't even reccomend Nosara and I would not reccomend Harmony under any circumstances.
If the management happens to read this I would encourage them to replace the stained curtains, the stained lamp shade, invest in some storage space in the rooms or a luggage rack, and buy a full length mirror. Also, put something, anything on the walls. How about surfing pictures? Anything! Above all, get some more lighting in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Billyphx
Reviewed February 12, 2009

The Harmony Hotel was gorgous when they built it but it is getting a little worn and for the price they are asking you would expect it to be first class. I was there their first year but now is looks bad. The gardens need some attention and the buildings as well. Great idea with the eco friendly concept but the execution needs work.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank surfguy1
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Harmony hotel does everything right. It is not an inexpensive spot but it is definitely worth it. The property is beautiful, the staff are there to assist with everything you could need while you're in Nosara and the food is the best in Costa Rica (in my opinion). They have an amazing Sushi Bar, in addition to their already impressive menu. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Seven guys, all 40+ went to Nosara for a Surf vacation. Nosara was experiencing its poorest quality waves in 10 years.

We had the best surf vacation of our lives, thanks to the staff and location.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Harmony Hotel. We found the hotel grounds to be in immaculate condition. From the Rooms to the pool to the restaurant area it was perfect.

The hotel is not cheap but you get what you pay for. Breakfast is included and they have several options not just some buffet with a bunch of fruit. The on site restaurant in my opinion was the best in town. You don't even have to leave the property if you don't want to.

The pool was very relaxing and probably one of the most refreshing pools Iv been in. Its a combination of salt and fresh water. Im not extremely familiar with the technical terms but It was very unique.

The beach is just a 2 minute walk down a sandy path. The surfing is great in front of the hotel and you can rent a board at a surf shop just outside the hotel property.

The parking lot has 24 hour security which I found very comforting since we parked a car there during our stay and left several belongings in the car so we didn't have to drag everything to our room.

Overall I give this hotel a 5 out of 5. I had no complaints. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2008

The Harmony Hotel is located in a quiet beautiful Pacific region of the Nicoya Peninsula where consistent surf and natural beauty bring surfers and travelers who enjoy tranquility. The hotel is designed and operated to offer a peaceful, ecologically responsible comfortable retreat from the world at large. They are very successful in doing this, by the lovely comfortable tropical feel of the buildings and through their excellent staff. Rooms are spacious, the location is excellent and the amenities will spoil you from wireless access in the comfy lounge area where you can sip on fresh fruit smoothies, to the top notch Wellness Center with massage, yoga and a juice bar. The restaurant serves healthy fresh meals, delicious seafood, great breakfasts and surfboard racks near the beach are guarded twenty four hours a day. This is a home away from home that will have you longing to return again and again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business