“Idyllic Retreat”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Idyllic Retreat”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It's a looonng ride to Nosara but on arrival we were greeted with cool towels and ginger iced tea. The lobby is open air and sets the tone for the hotel. Beds were HUGE and so comfortable, I loved the outside showers (don't think I took 1 shower inside) and the green, high end, personal products in each room. The on site yoga classes and spa were heavenly as was the fresh food (forever addicted to eggs and black beans for breakfast). The hotel staff is amazing - one waiter even walked down to the market to buy me some Lizano sauce because I loved it so much.
This is a quiet spot so if you have kids I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank liecel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I'm not sure I even want to write this review because I'd love to keep this place all to myself.
We spent three days (not nearly enough) at Harmony for our honeymoon. Our first two stops in Costa Rica were Montezuma and Malpais. Nosara and Harmony were by far our favorite. We both can't wait to come back!

We sprung for a bungalow. It was amazing. We had a giant 600 year old tree bordering our patio and lizards like to hang out on it. Totally cool. Great rocking chairs, a hammock and outdoor shower. Room was simply designed and clean. Totally our style. Red Flower products are awesome. Caught a glimpse of the Coco Rooms off the main part of the hotel and those looked great too!

Beach. 5 minute walk no joke! The path was pretty and filled with black and red crabs who would go running to their holes as you passed by. You could hear them scampering. I miss them already. Beach entrance had a towel station and shower nearby which was nice. We went every morning before breakfast. Had coffee, watched the surfers and collected shells. Mainly had the beach to ourselves. Playa Pelada was walking distance along the beach. Had dinner there one night at La Luna (also GREAT!). Wish we had more time to explore that area. Sunset was gorgeous. Only tip I have is to bring bug spray. Sand fleas ate me up our first trip out.

Food. Everything we ate here was plentiful and delicious. Breakfast which included coffee, juice, fruit plate AND a dish of your choosing was top notch. Food was fresh and well thought out. Tried as many cocktails, smoothies, and fizzes that we could fit into 3 days. We ate at the juice bar for our final meal. Totally delicious and we spotted 4 monkeys in the mango tree right outside. Would have been a great spot to sit and relax all day.

Property was gorgeous. Pool was awesome. We got massages which were very nice and relaxing. One of the best massages I've ever had. There was a huge tub in the room and we weren't sure if we were able to use it. Looked luxurious, so definitely something to look into if you book a massage.

Staff. I can't say enough about the staff here. There was always somebody around. They were all very attentive and took the time to talk to you a bit. They seemed happy to be there too, which is important. I seriously hope they are all still working there when we go back. Oh yes, we will be back for sure. This place is top notch!!!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room you choose. We had 12. It was great. Cocos looked n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kate p
Cayuga S, Manager at The Harmony Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Kate P,
greetings from Nosara and Guiones Beach. Thank you for sharing your little "secret" with other travelers on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your great review and are sure it will be very helpful for travelers looking for a "Harmony style" hotel. We are happy that you liked the simplicity of the decor and the taste of the food in our restaurant. But we are especially happy about your nice comments about the service and our staff. We feel that that is what makes the difference and creates the magic of Harmony. We would love for you to come back real soon and yes, we will still be here for you. Saludos,
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have to say that I was overwhelmed by our experience at the Harmony. It's a fantastic property and Nosara is a great place to visit for a tropical getaway. The property itself is superbly maintained and impeccably clean. Our one bedroom bungalow was simple but luxurious, with a great king bed, huge bathroom and gigantic outdoor patio with rocking chairs, hammock and outdoor shower.

The restaurant is the highest quality food that we encountered in the area and we enjoyed every meal that we had. The included breakfast is certainly no Holiday Inn free buffet - the options are numerous, unique and very tasty, with a good combination of local, American and continental specialties.

The staff is, quite simply, superb. They make every effort to get to know you during your visit, understand your preferences and provide the highest quality of service. The front desk staff is among the best that I've experienced at any hotel, proving to be extremely knowledgeable about the local area and able to satisfy just about any request that you have. I was amazed at how the staff seemed to be instantly aware of the comings-and-goings of each guest - when you had a surf lesson, when you were being picked up for a tour, when your airport car transportation was leaving. They were more on top of things than I was! (I also have to thank the staff for moving quickly to bring me a bucket of boiling water when I was stung by a stingray while surfing!)

We had two massages at the Spa, which were excellent. A local surf instructor told me that the masseuse was the best in area, hands down. Unfortunately, I did not get to experience the yoga because classes were only held during my surf time, but other guests had stated that classes were very high quality.

Icing on the cake is the great juice bar, which has great juices, smoothies, iced coffees and sandwiches.

Hands down an excellent resort!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the bungalows. You'll enjoy the extra space.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Christopher U
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I have to say the Harmony is fantastic...from the food at the restaurant & juice bar...to the friendly staff...to the incredible massages! The location is great as well, only a short walk to the beach. Great stay, wish it could have been longer!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We found everything at this hotel just perfect, from the exceptionally gracious staff to the wonderful location. The room felt like a tropical retreat, but with the comforts of home. The best part was the private back deck with a hammock and outdoor shower. We were just steps from the beautiful pool area and a 2-minute walk to the beach. Every single staff member we interacted with throughout the week was friendly and helpful. And with our limited Spanish skills, they were more than happy to help us book activities (and teach us a few helpful words...). The food at both the restaurant and juice bar is creative, fresh and delicious. The smoothies are particularly awesome! The yoga classes are held in an open pavilion, which is a little buggy but amazingly relaxing. Lastly, the massage I had at the spa was one of the best I've ever had. Because it's low season, they were running a deal where you get a 90-minute massage for the price of an hour. Amazing!

Room Tip: The rooms that ring the pool are under a covered walkway, which can be helpful if you're there i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank slsnyc
Hoboken
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me. I had been to Costa Rica the previous two years and wanted to try a new place. Harmony proved to be the best location yet. I had first gone to Santa Teresa and stayed at Pranamar. The hotel was gorgeous, secluded, and relaxing, but it was a bit far from town. The second year I stayed at Playa Flamingo and found it was too touristy and didn't have the qualities that I personally liked about Costa Rica. Harmony was an excellent blend. The hotel felt secluded due to its lush landscapes, but was just a two minute walk to shops and restaurants - which was fantastic.

The staff was very helpful. I, unfortunately, got sick my second day there and the staff at the front desk was quick to help me get a doctor's appointment and helped me figure out options for getting my medication. They were also great in helping to book cars, give recommendations, and book excursions/activities for us.

We went the second week of August, which is rainy season in Costa Rica. I had gone the same week for the previous two years and didn't experience as much rain as we did this year, but still, it was nice. A word of caution if you're traveling in the rainy season (well, two words) - BUG SPRAY! Luckily my friends brought some and they sell an all natural option in the gift shop, but without it you will get eaten alive!

The trail to beach is gorgeous and lined with brightly colored crabs :) The food is good - but honestly, I always like local restaurants better, and there are a handful in the area that are definitely worth checking out: Rosi's, La Luna, Robin's...to name a few.

The yoga class I took was an intro class, so if you're looking for more advanced classes, I heard the yoga studio across the street offers an interesting and challenging class. The aerial yoga class at Harmony was fun! It was my third time doing that style of yoga, so for that, intro was still good for me. And the teacher offered to take pics throughout the class, so that was great.

All in all, it's a gorgeous hotel with friendly staff and lots to offer. I would definitely recommend this place. (Note: they DO have blow dryers, they are at the front desk, you just have to ask!)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 and it had poor WIFI reception. Not that that dampered our trip at all. Room 12...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ok, I was not a hotel guest, but rather a daily visitor during my six-week stay in Nosara.

I found a reason to stop by every day - a yoga class, a pineapple/avocado/basil smoothie, a hot-from-the-oven almond cookie, a ginger shot, a salad... a visit through the beautiful gardens. I got my tropical moment of zen at this place.

Everything I tasted here was clean, fresh, beautiful and delicious and the environment fed each of my senses. I LOVED it here, and the visitors I brought in for smoothies have already booked their next trip here after spending an hour sharing a smoothie with me on the grounds.

Nosara has lots to offer in many different directions, but if you're looking for a beautiful, romantic, pampering oasis, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family