“Best Family Adventure EVER!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
Reviewed May 4, 2014

For the second time in the 5 years our family was able to get to Surf Simply in Nosara and once again the service, coaching, accommodation and customized program for each family member was amazing. As an active family we find that Surf Simply is able to deliver the kind of adventure experience that creates lifelong memories. Jessie coached 10 year old Sofia and delivered a dose of 'grrl power' and confidence that Sofia continues to talk about. Ross coached 13 year old Oliver and 2 other boys,challenging them to grow as surfers - by Day 2 my son was out back catching green waves. Francella provided personal and caring coaching to my husband and got him up and surfing green waves as well. Harry was my coach and through consistent input got me over some of my fears and starting to manage angled take offs out back. The food created by Sarah is Zagat quality and as a vegetarian, I was always impressed by how seamlessly she prepared things for me that were as delicious and gorgeous as the non veg options. Lulu continues to provide the home baked treats that were gobbled up by all but especially the children, she had to make an extra batch as her muffins and energy bars were in high demand.
Dani and Alice ensured that we all had a chance to experience something beyond surfing like the SIBU monkey sanctuary, Ziplining and, special thanks to Alice for this one, the night time giant turtle nesting time - it only happens one day a month and we happened to be there at the right time and Alice ensured that we had a ride and guide to see the amazing event - it all takes place on a black sand beach in the dark.
Crystal is the on site massage therapist (I had three massages) and you'll definitely appreciate her knowledge and understanding of what surfing muscles are - she really does a great repair job on all those muscles that you didn't know were needed to surf.
There is also a small team of Tico's that keep the resort running smoothly and are friendly and helpful.
Kudos to Ru as the owner of Surf Simply - he has evolved and innovated the product and service offering to what it is today. I met Ru 6 years ago when Surf Simply was called Innocent Surf School and was small shop in a little mall in Nosara - he had a vision and he delivers on that vision everyday at Surf Simply.
Thanks for the amazing time and see you next year.

If you want to learn how to surf AND be pampered and have fun then this is the place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KLCalgary

Reviewed April 27, 2014

After scouring the interweb for a decent surf camp in Costa Rica, I came across Surf Simply and was so blow away by what they had to offer, I realized I was either staying with them...or no one. I already felt spoiled by the simple knowledge that a surf camp so surf-focused, and so customer oriented existed I wasn't about to waste my time anywhere else. Much to my dismay, when I spoke to Alice (hugs to Alice!), she informed me that they were fully booked for the months I was hoping to stay at Surf Simply and that people were already starting to book well into the following year! Noooo!!! Luckily there was a last-minute cancellation (which I realize rarely ever happens), and I swear it was divine intervention. I left the boyfriend at home and set off on the surf boot-camp trip I had been dreaming up for years. I wanted to stay somewhere I could get away from the daily grind, didn't have to worry about scheduling anything (food, transportation, entertainment, etc). I wanted to simply show up, surf, eat, sleep and repeat. I did just that. It took me all of an hour to unpack my bags, grab a coconut (gotta hydrate), post up on the outdoor couch to watch their 24/7 surf vid's...and make friends with the other campers hanging by the pool. Pfff - heaven. The instructors, chefs, massage therapist...every single member of their crew impressed me. Their dedication to making each and every one of us feel at-home, and taken care of is unmatched. There's a reason they might be the only business in existence with close to 300 reviews - all 5 stars. The surf instructors - first.class. There was not a single one of us who didn't feel ridiculously lucky to be taught by the instructors we were paired up with. A shout out to Prado (my instructor) - who ALWAYS was enthusiastic, supportive, super positive, and extremely knowledgable. Even when I'd totally blow it, and fall off a wave, he'd cheer me on - stoked at even the slightest hint of progression. I learned SO much more than I had even hoped, and am now happily surfing solo at my local breaks. The owner and rest of the crew are top notch, as well - all dedicated, amazing, and talented people. I will absolutely be back. One word of advice - hydrate!!! They stock coconuts in the fridge (so good), which are chalk full of electrolytes. The biggest mistake a lot of people were making was to try to replenish with straight water. Electrolytes, people. Do it. And don't hesitate to book your stay. I am supremely confident you will not come upon a better experience. Yew!! Thanks everyone! Love you long time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2014

If you are looking to have fun and learn how to surf or improve your skills, Surf Simply is Simply the Best.

My entire experience at Surf Simply was perfect in every way. The coaches level of expertise is par excellence and they help you attain whatever goals you have set for yourself with patience, tolerance, support and most of all fun. I didn't know true surf geeks, as such, existed; the knowledge base of these folks is fantastic. This was my 2nd surfing experience in my entire life after learning how last year at age 60. My goal was to get out of the white water and into the green. My coach, Francela, made that possible. She helped me unlearn a bunch of bad habits and encouraged me to progress throughout the week, so I could catch those bigger waves. Woo Hoo! Francela is one of the most positive and encouraging people I have ever met. And as long as you are willing and wanting to go for more, she is right there to help you get there.

Surf Simply's main rule is to keep people safe and comfortable in the water. I felt that way at all times. Plus I learned so much about the hows and whys of surfing, learned to read the waves and the wind and make the most of my time in the water with efficiency.

The food at Surf Simpy is Outstanding. Home cooked meals, fresh fruit, and muffins every day. It doesn't get better than this. I am not a huge sea food fan, but freshly caught fish? I'll take it. Thank you Sarah, Alice and Lulu!

The overall cleanliness of the Surf Simply=Spotless. The entire staff was extremely friendly and fun to be around. The yoga and massages offered during down time were amazing. Crystal, the massage therapist, is incredible, as is Paola, the yoga instructor. Both are great ways to help undo the crinks after surfing.

The folks were also so helpful with providing transportation to and from the Ranchero before and after my stay. I would say they go above and beyond in every way. The follow up with pictures and videos is great.

So thank you all, Francela, Prado, Danielle, Ru, Jess, ect. You were great, and I am so happy to have had the opportunity to meet you all. Hope to see you next year!!! m

Room Tip: Our little cabana, the 2nd from the bottom on the right was very quiet. Lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Having the chance to spend 2 weeks at Surf Simply was such a treat! My husband, who did not surf still enjoyed being there and having the chance to relax at the Rancho, to read sitting on the deck of our Chalet, and to enjoy all the fun meals cooked by Sarah.

Jessie – It was such a pleasure to have you as my coach! You have a gift of explaining things clearly, knowing what to teach based on the student’s surfing abilities, motivating students, and always being so positive. It was so much fun to be out in the water with you and have you cheer me on, point out things I did well, and gently remind me of things I can work on to improve. Our theory sessions reviewing videos were extremely helpful—all because of your analytical ways of looking at our performance. As I said to you when we first met, I want to surf like you when I grow up!

Ollie – Thank you for always giving me pointers. I still remember that one wave you had me catch where you said “I won’t guide you wrong.” I wouldn’t have paddled closer to the peak if it weren’t for you.

Harry – Thank you for so often being the target that I’m supposed to look at so that I can stay high up on the wave! It’s like magic!

Francela – Your words of encouragement and compliments means so much to me especially having seen you surf so beautifully.

Prado – You are so much fun to be around! I couldn’t stop laughing when I hear your stories at dinners.

Ross – Thank you for always noticing my tiny accomplishments and telling me that I caught some nice waves. Your advice on paddling really made a difference in helping me get over those waves before they break on top of me!

Danny and Alice – You two are so amazingly organized, friendly, and kind. You were absolutely accommodating, patient with all 12 guests’ requests, and organized so that everything ran smoothly.

For future guests who go to Surf Simply, know that you will be fed well by Sarah’s delicious and healthy cooking, and will always have healthy snacks around that are freshly baked by Lulu. Also, make sure to get your massages from Crystal! She is one of the best massage therapists I’ve worked with. I’ve been suffering from back pain since I was 16 and have worked with numerous massage therapists.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband recently returned from a one week stay at Surf Simply. He had nothing but wonderful things to say about the instructors, food, accommodations, and other guests. He also learned to surf (a lifelong dream)! He hopes to return again next year. He also had a great time zip lining on his "day off" from surfing.

Room Tip: Follow the Surf Simply suggestions regarding preparing for your trip!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JenTravels429
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Earlier this month my son and I spent a week at Surf Simply. If you want to learn to surf, or improve your surfing, this is the place to go to.

The coaches (Oli, Francela, Ross, to name a few) are outstanding: enthusiastic, dedicated, patient, clearly passionate about the sport and truly motivated to see you succeed. Although they work most of the year there is no sign of "burn out" whatsoever and every day is embraced with high energy and laughter.

The whole program is meticulously put together, the result of much thought, care and years of experience. Rooms, meals, time off... etc all is taken care of so your experience is relaxing, hassle free and very enjoyable.

The background is beautiful with a majestic beach, reliable waves, small town and good weather (although quite hot this time of the year).

The week we were there four of the guests were repeat guests, a few others were referrals. Surf Simply is a small jewel. When it comes down to it, what makes it unique is the incredible dedication of its entire team. Their passion for surfing will win you over!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is the best place to learn or improve your surfing, coupled with every detail of your vacation taken care of for you by an amazing group of people, in the perfect location.
The Surf Simply coaches are all passionate surf geeks and excellent teachers. They break down each skill into specific goals and use video analysis to help guests see how they can improve. Both in and out of the water, they are there 100% for you. This week I was working with Francela and Jessie - both of whom are such positive coaches, and fun people. They each gave me excellent instruction in the areas I was working on. I also really appreciated that the other coaches will give you pointers if they see you on a wave - Thanks Harry and Oli for your encouragement and knowledge. Prado conducted a very entertaining and helpful in-pool session on turtle rolls and paddle techniques. All of the coaches are very professional, while at the same time keeping the learning fun.
The resort itself is low key, and perfectly designed. There is a common rancho area that includes a stocked fridge with snacks and drinks, beside a comfortable seating and eating area. It is a great spot to read books, use the wifi, or just relax between water sessions. There is a lovely pool, an air conditioned yoga room and video space for theory classes. The two bedroom, one bath bungalows all have private patios and are very clean and comfortable. There is a separate massage studio, and office/store space. Everything is surrounded by nature - we enjoyed the sounds of the howler monkeys and the birds all around us.
Alice was my email contact person, and was super helpful in all the details - everything from day off activity preferences, to special dietary requests. She is also one of the friendly people who helps with the cooking and serving of the delicious cuisine.
Sarah's food really is as good as all the previous reviews mention, plus she was extra accommodating to my specific dietary needs. The restaurants that were included in some of the evening's outings were all delicious too. Lulu's yummy homemade baked goods keep you fueled up between meals.
Surf Simply takes care of all the details of your trip right from airport pick up to drop off. Our travel plans involved arriving early to the region, and leaving a week after the camp finished - Dani worked with our schedule to arrange all the transport we needed. Additionally, I needed to make arrangements to seek an off site chiropractic appointment which again Dani was invaluable in helping me arrange. This level of service is so greatly appreciated.
This was my second time going to surf simply and it was even better than the first time (hard to believe as I was very impressed two years ago) I learned that 9 out of 13 of us were returning guests - I asked Surf Simply about this and the number of returning guests every year is growing. It makes sense, as this really is the most amazing combination of incredible instruction, fantastic food, beautiful location and phenomenal people. Thank you! Can't wait to get back there!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple