“I can't believe I have to wait a year to return!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
“I can't believe I have to wait a year to return!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you want to learn to surf, you need to come here. If you want to be surrounded by a crew of people w wonderful energy who are really smart, come here. If you want to eat really yummy and amazing food made w whole and fresh ingredients, come here. Awesome yoga? Fantastic massage? You guessed it... come here.

This was my second trip to Surf Simply and I am planning my third. The coaches (I had Oli- who I think is wonderful, and not so bad on the eyes, either) explain things in such a way that ANYONE can understand what they are saying and apply it to their surfing. They are all super intelligent so the conversation out of the water and out of our theory classes are really stimulating. But the hospitality doesn't stop there. EVERYONE who works at Surf Simply is so thoughtful and smart. Dani the manager, Val the booking agent, the girls who make breakfast and clean the rooms are always smiling and joking around w the guests. Then there is Laura who takes the photos and makes the video that you get at the end of your stay- thats right, leave your camera at home- this girl will make you look like a hero! The yoga everyday during the week is so good. Francela; the yoga instructor; is so knowledgeable and leads us in some really great yoga. I hold a special place in my heart for Sarah, the cook, because who doesn't like good food? She is always so calm when creating some of the best and freshest meals I have ever had. And for snacks there are always Lulu’s homemade muffins. You won’t go hungry here.

Ru has managed to hire a team who really "get" customer service. One day I was reading under my towel by the pool because it had started to rain and when I thought the rain had stopped I popped out of my towel to see Edwardo the smiling gardener had put the umbrella over me. It's the little things, and these guys do it all. Feeling sore? Get a massage from an educated massage therapist who really wants you to feel better. But not just for the day, after she works on you she will show you what muscles to stretch so that you won't be so tight going forward.

These guys don’t just want you to get up on a wave for that photo shot. They want to teach you how to surf. So leave your sunscreen, rashguard, camera, shampoo and conditioner at home (they supply all of this for you) and grab your bikini or board shorts and head down to Nosara for the best surfing experience ever!

Thank you Team Surf Simply for an amazing week. See you next year, Friends!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Amymartin00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
miami
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

What's left to say..... Every glowing review previous to mine has echoed perfectly the magic of this place. From the gorgeous landscape of Nosara, Costa Rica, to the most professional and knowledgable surf staff imaginable, Surf Simply is no doubt the best place to improve your surf skill set. Thank you to everyone, the cab drivers, Lulu and the ladies, Dani, Sara, Francela, Crystal, Laura, Jessie, Kerrianne, Ollie, Harry, Graham, Val and Ru.....thank you for one the best memories ever!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank dolfanjd
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Excellent surf coaching, beautiful beach, great waves, a gifted yoga teacher and cook, clean pool (just the right temperature too), bikes to ride to town or explore area, fantastic restaurants, incredible people, adorable howler monkeys, the list goes on and on.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank abouldermom
Calgary
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've been coached by the fantastic, professional and committed coached at Surf Simply three times over 5 years. I keep coming back and, more importantly, I feel like I keep progressing. Run and his team run a well developed program that keeps building on past work so that I always feel like I'm learning something new. This time, thanks to the patient, thoughtful and very funny Graham, I learned how to angle start and link turns.
The resort has continued down the path of luxury and now includes a massage and yoga studio, both wonderful additions to the experience.
Sara produces some of the most wonderful meals using fresh local ingredients and and the support she gets from Lulu and the other women there makes it easy for even a vegetarian like me to feel like I've eaten in a 5 star restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I can't wait to go back!
KL

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, it is a small resort, so you always have the best room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KLCalgary
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Wow! Wow! Wow! Now I understand why most reviews of this property are so lengthy. The most concise thing I can say is that if you want to become a better surfer - whether you have NEVER attempted to surf OR are VERY skilled - Surf Simply is the place for you. My daughter and I just returned from our first (inference: not last!) trip to Nosara to spend the week with Ru and his team. From the moment we stepped off the plane in Liberia, Ru's team warmly, efficiently and professionally attended to all of the details of our stay, freeing us to concentrate on the reason for our visit: to improve our surf skills. On the first day we were asked what our goals were, and by the end of the week there was no doubt that we had reached them. The beauty of and the key to Surf Simply is the precise, intelligible manner in which Ru and his team have broken-down the process of surfing, then giving us the opportunity (twice a day) to put what we learned into practice on the waves, AND videoing us in action to critique and fine tune where we can be more efficient and effective during our time on the waves. Surf Simply is Simply Brilliant. Their methodology makes sense and is effective.
A few words about the team: Our first point(s) of contact when booking the trip were Ru and/or Val. They made booking easy and communicated exactly what we needed to know to make the most of our trip. My surf coach was Harry. He was so incredibly knowledgeable AND fun. - Thank you, thank you, thank you, Harry! I so appreciated his patience, encouragement and sense of humor. I learned so much. My daughter's coach was Oli. She had nothing but praise for his coaching. Oli had the perfect balance of challenging his surfers to further improve and refine their skills, the knowledge to help them do so, and rewarding them with words of praise when they mastered a certain skill. Much to our chagrin, we were not able to spend as much time as we would have liked with the remaining coaches: Graham, Kerianne and Jessie. Our conversations both in and out of the water, left my daughter and I wanting to spend more time with them. Graham was simply a blast and kept us laughing. Kerianne was always more than willing to listen to my many questions and give thoughtful advice with a smile. Jessie was a ray of sunshine, so quick to smile, and her positive attitude was infectious. (Thanks for calling my very last wave of the trip for me, Jessie! You were spot on and it was awesome!)
BUT, HOLD ON, this review would not be complete without mentioning a few additional key team members that made all the difference in the world: The masseuse, Crystal. By far and away one of the best, most skilled massage therapists that I have ever encountered. Francela, our yoga instructor, that created a space of calm and serenity while gently encouraging us to quieten our minds and appreciate all that our bodies had accomplished each day. Lulu, for those amazing muffins!!! Alba and Maria for their smiles and making our stay comfortable and enjoyable. And Sarah, chef extraordinaire! Sarah's meals were a celebration, a culinary masterpiece full of joy. She does amazing things in the kitchen. - A close second after the surfing, we will remember and appreciate the meals that Sarah created for us. - THANK YOU!
It was clear early in our stay that Ru complied an extraordinary team. - Very professional, yet warm. Each one is someone you would want to, choose to, spend time with in any setting on any day. Thank you Ru, and thank you to all of our new friends in Nosara.

Room Tip: All the chalets were large and exceptionally clean. All had a lovely patio area. The beds were ver...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Renee A
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed June 17, 2013

June 8th-15th, My son and I travelled to Nosara, Costa Rica to attend a Surf adventure at Surf Simply Coaching Resort. Neither of us has been to CR or to a surfing camp before. After extensive research we chose SurfSimply based on the reviews and the information provided from the web site and the email interactions with RU (the owner).

Having no expectations but to make memories and have a great trip with my son, I figured that we would arrive have some good food and maybe catch some waves. Was I wrong. Surf Simply is "Simply" one of the best surf and travel experiences that I have been to. The resort is Top Notch! From RU, Dani, & Val who took care of all of our questions up front until we arrived onsite. To the "Excellent" Surf Coaches who were friendly and professional. Ollie, Jessie, Harry, Carrie Anne, & Graham coached us on every aspect of surfing. Being a self taught surfer, I never knew the basics like functional stance, arms positioning, knees, and hips. The magic buttons on the board. Each of the coaches were flexible to the needs and skills of each surfer. Then there was Sarah who cooked the most delicious meals for us that we all craved when we got out of the water knowing she would be cooking for us when we got back to the resort. Laura with her camera & video capturing most of our memories. Francela our Yoga instructor was incredible to help stretching before and after surfing. Then, as your muscles ache, you have Crystal who worked out my triggers and soreness from multiple surf sessions. The Chalets and resort area are top notch. You are not lacking anything here.

The week was full of memories shared with my son and new friends. So what makes Surf Simply the product of choice for anyone reading this. It is Simple; the People. RU & everyone associated with Surf Simply treats you like family and helps you to work to whatever your expectations & goals are for the week. So thank you RU, Val, Dani, Ollie, Jessie, Harry, Carrie Anne, Graham, Sarah, Laura, Francela, & Crystal for contributions in making memories with my son & I!

Putting Surf Simply back on the Calendar for 2014!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 8, 2013

After a challenging paddle "out the back" through one powerful set of whitewater, I sat up on my board for a breather. As I rested, I kept my eye on the horizon and eventually saw something with the help of Coach Harry Knight, who was diligently sighting swells and calling them out in the lineup…."Okay Noel, this one looks interesting! It's starting to stand up and looks like a left-hander!" I began my turn toward shore and paddled up to speed. As the wave started to lift the back of my board, I remember flying past another coach, Oli, who shouted encouragement to me as he paddled over the top of the wave. I dug deep for three more strong paddles to get down the face. It was a big left and continued to build beneath my board as it picked up speed. I got that indescribable sense you get when the wave takes over; you've caught it and your setting yourself for the take off….it's 100% commitment at that point. Then came the drop. What a rush! I carved in a bottom turn and came across the green face of the wave. It was a beautiful moment and I'll never forget looking back up at the face of that green wave. It was at that point that I quickly realized I needed to execute my next maneuver…a forehand cutback….but this had always been my Achilles Heal before coming to Surf Simply. As I began to commit to the move I thought of Coach Harry's suggestion from the previous days' video breakdown: "look at your watch for the time…that will get your backhand in the right position and therefore help you balance through the turn." I did just that and felt the board move beneath me back toward the whitewater. I completed the turn! I was crazy with adrenaline and pure joy. I'd heard this feeling described before as "wave stoke" and wow was I stoked.

This is the type of experience you can have at Surf Simply. I cannot say enough good things about the quality of coaching, the food, the living quarters, and the terrific sense that you are a valued guest at the resort. If you are looking to improve your surfing skills or even if you are just starting out in this amazing sport, Surf Simply is the place for you. Ru and his team have put together a truly top notch experience and I really can't wait to go back. A huge thank you and a cheers to the Surf Simply team for providing me with a truly memorable and productive surfing experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo