“Insane!”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Ranked #1 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
Fort Pierce, Florida
“Insane!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Last week was one of the best surf trips of my life! Surf Simply takes care of everything so that all you have to do is surf and spend time with a bunch of fun people. My coach was Jessie. The time I spent with her was a true blessing because we had so much fun and because she helped me to improve my surfing. She has the heart of a teacher and a competitive background. When you put that together with the Surf Simply methodology it's a powerful tool! The whole team of coaches were very professional and worked well together with all the guests. They all use a very mature and well thought out process to effectively coach any level surfer.

The other surfers were great to be around. All were successful and well educated professionals with a love of surfing. There was always good company and lively dinner conversations.

The food was fabulous! Simple and fresh and healthy.

The rooms were comfortable and air conditioned. I shared a room and got along great with both my roommate and suite-mate. Hope to surf with them again soon!

Tom J

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank thomasnjefferson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Linwood, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been surfing on and off for 23 years. The learning curve of what little I could accomplish was long and shallow.
My friend Rick, whom I believe to be an excellent surfer, recommended surf simply to me.
I was convinced when he said the coaches helped him with his surfing.
I booked the trip and got very excited then I worried I might be getting my hopes up too high.
Wrong.
I traveled solo and met a perfect group of strangers. The common denominator was that we were all educated, well-traveled, independent, and accomplished people in our diverse backgrounds.
The coaches are the best you will meet. They understand what they are talking about, they listen to you and understand your questions, and are able to execute what they are teaching.

Example: A fellow traveler and I arrived Saturday afternoon and were anxious for a session. We asked if we could use the boards and go to the break. The answer of course was "yes".
We went to the break and surfed a fabulous sunset and we spied a strawberry blonde female tearing it up, I mean flying down a beautiful wave and making beautiful turns, we later learned it was Jessie.
Then we saw this guy doing 360's and in total control of his domain, we learned he was Ru, after he paddled up and politely introduced himself.
The other instructors are equally competent as you will learn if you go, and very interesting people with quite a collection of stories about their lives and their travels.
The food, the yoga, the massage, the excursions, the rooms, the staff, the instruction, the friendliness, the sincerity, the excitement, the best trip of your life...
It's all waiting for you,
at Surf Simply.

Room Tip: Our room was great ! Chalet 4 with wifi !
1 Thank Michael P
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Everyone, please stop writing all of these "excellent" reviews for Surf Simply... you're letting the secret out!

My first trip was amazing, and my return trip was even better, and I want to make sure that there's room for my 3rd visit. So please, stop telling everyone how really great this place is.

Certainly shouldn't mention how beautiful the beaches are and how consistent and perfect the waves are, or how delicious Sara's meals & Lulu's homemade muffins are, or how good the surf instruction is (especially Graham, make sure not to talk about how good he is, or Kerrianne for that matter. Or Harry, Ollie or Jessie. Don't talk about how much fun they all are to be around or how good they are at coaching kids like us to surf)

Seriously, this place is awesome. To be honest, I was a little hesitant when booking my return trip to Surf Simply. The first trip was so wonderful that I figured my follow-up visit would be a bit of a disappointment. Not at all. From the moment that I arrived it felt like I was returning home, or more specifically like I had never left.

The Ocean is the perfect temperature: no need for a wet suit, feels refreshing, water is clean, sandy ocean bottom, consistent and good-sized waves, and beautiful views.

The Staff is super-friendly, fun and sooooo good at what they do. Not only do they have in-depth knowledge about all aspects of surfing, but their demeanor is patient, calming and friendly.

The extras like the massages from Krystal, the yoga, the muffins (I ate about 20 of them) and the concierge-like services from Daniella and Val to make sure everything runs smooth. I don't think that there was a request that they didn't fulfill by any guest. Even the side-trip (I tried the SUP) was well orchestrated and the guide was friendly and a pleasure to be around.

Overall, a few of us were trying to come up with suggestions for improvement but could not come up with anything. Ru has everything so well dialed-in that the place is virtually perfect. And apparently from all of the other 100's of 5-star reviews, I am not the only person to feel this way.

Recommendation: book this place immediately before it becomes too popular!

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The surf conditions are great, the coaching is great, and the facilities & food are great. I love surfing but have never really progressed in the way I had hoped I would, so I was looking for a camp/trip where I could get some great instruction. I stumbled onto the Surf Simply podcasts and was very impressed by the technical approach to coaching, and booked a trip.

I had high expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. The surf conditions were the best for learning that I had experienced - big enough waves to challenge me as a somewhat experienced surfer, but slow enough to be manageable given my lack of skill. Furthermore, the video coaching sessions of me in action were incredibly helpful. My coach Harry was able to provide detailed breakdowns of what was right and wrong about a wave and as a result, I was able to tie that back to my experience on the wave. I now feel like I have a much better sense of where I go wrong and where I need to focus to improve. My favorite parts of the coaching sessions were when I was able to ask Harry specific questions either in the water or in video sessions and get very actionable feedback. Harry has a scientist's mind and does a fantastic job of making data-driven assessments and recommendations, which was great for someone like me who really wanted to learn.

Beyond the coaching and surfing, the facilities are great, the cooking by Sarah was fantastic, and I loved the massages from Crystal. The only downside of the non-surfing time was that all the coaches (Graham, Oli, Kerianne, Jessie, and Harry) weren't always there to hang out with us - it's a good group of people. If any of them come to San Francisco, I want them to look me up and visit!

I booked my return trip while on the last trip, and I've convinced three friends to join me!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Justin M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Read some of the many other glowing reviews for Surf Simply and you'll notice that many of the people are repeat guests. There is a reason for that........ The place is awesome!

This was my third time at Surf Simply in CR (I've also been to France with SS).
The reason I keep coming back is because I've had the best time on these vacations, by far.
Ru has created a unique experience for surfers (or wanna-be surfers) where you can improve your surfing skills, have a relaxed, enjoyable time, meet fabulous people, and basically shut your mind off for a week.
The staff are simply awesome. All of the coaches, Sarah the chef, Dani and Val, Francela, Laura the photographer........ They are all tremendous, caring people. And they will all make sure you have the best trip of your life.

I've been to other surf camps/tours and they don't even come close to Surf Simply.
If you want to have a great experience and improve your surfing, don't even think about going elsewhere. Just email Ru and book your trip.

A helpful tip to any prospective guests. You will be sore after surfing 3 hours a day, but it will be a "good" soreness. So, before you go, follow the tips on the website to improve your surf fitness. The better shape your in, the more waves you'll catch.

Hopefully I'll see you at Surf Simply on my next trip.
Pura vida!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed April 25, 2013

To put it simply, Surf Simply is awesome and good for the soul!

Ru and his team have created a highly personalized training experience set in a low-key, positive vibe, casual, fun and incredibly welcoming atmosphere!

There are no egos here - only dedicated, fun, and patient coaches (special shout out to Harry who was my coach) who know what is needed to improve your surfing skills and to get you to the next level. After a week at Surf Simply, you will have the tools to surf anywhere!

This is my second time to Surf Simply and will not be my last - If you want to experience the best surf instructors, food, yoga, massage and meet lifelong friends - this is the place to go, you won’t regret it!

Pura Vida.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronnie585
Nosara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The details: I have been surfing for three years, and I have been struggling to get down the line consistently, turn, carve, not nosedive, basically trying to get to the next level. I came across the Surf Simply podcasts (http://www.surfsimply.com/podcast) and they were incredibly informative, but when I found out that there was a school associated with and directed by the author of the podcasts (Ru Hill) I had to book this trip! If you want to get to the next level, Surf Simply is where you need to go!!! My coach (Ollie) turned what were formerly complicated surfing concepts into easily attainable objectives. The surf is super consistent, and the food, location, atmosphere, coaching, support staff, essentially everything about the place is unmatched anywhere I.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing a room with another "like minded" surfer, go for it. I chose...