“Just go - you won't regret it”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Ranked #1 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
San Francisco, California, United States
“Just go - you won't regret it”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The surf conditions are great, the coaching is great, and the facilities & food are great. I love surfing but have never really progressed in the way I had hoped I would, so I was looking for a camp/trip where I could get some great instruction. I stumbled onto the Surf Simply podcasts and was very impressed by the technical approach to coaching, and booked a trip.

I had high expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. The surf conditions were the best for learning that I had experienced - big enough waves to challenge me as a somewhat experienced surfer, but slow enough to be manageable given my lack of skill. Furthermore, the video coaching sessions of me in action were incredibly helpful. My coach Harry was able to provide detailed breakdowns of what was right and wrong about a wave and as a result, I was able to tie that back to my experience on the wave. I now feel like I have a much better sense of where I go wrong and where I need to focus to improve. My favorite parts of the coaching sessions were when I was able to ask Harry specific questions either in the water or in video sessions and get very actionable feedback. Harry has a scientist's mind and does a fantastic job of making data-driven assessments and recommendations, which was great for someone like me who really wanted to learn.

Beyond the coaching and surfing, the facilities are great, the cooking by Sarah was fantastic, and I loved the massages from Crystal. The only downside of the non-surfing time was that all the coaches (Graham, Oli, Kerianne, Jessie, and Harry) weren't always there to hang out with us - it's a good group of people. If any of them come to San Francisco, I want them to look me up and visit!

I booked my return trip while on the last trip, and I've convinced three friends to join me!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Justin M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Read some of the many other glowing reviews for Surf Simply and you'll notice that many of the people are repeat guests. There is a reason for that........ The place is awesome!

This was my third time at Surf Simply in CR (I've also been to France with SS).
The reason I keep coming back is because I've had the best time on these vacations, by far.
Ru has created a unique experience for surfers (or wanna-be surfers) where you can improve your surfing skills, have a relaxed, enjoyable time, meet fabulous people, and basically shut your mind off for a week.
The staff are simply awesome. All of the coaches, Sarah the chef, Dani and Val, Francela, Laura the photographer........ They are all tremendous, caring people. And they will all make sure you have the best trip of your life.

I've been to other surf camps/tours and they don't even come close to Surf Simply.
If you want to have a great experience and improve your surfing, don't even think about going elsewhere. Just email Ru and book your trip.

A helpful tip to any prospective guests. You will be sore after surfing 3 hours a day, but it will be a "good" soreness. So, before you go, follow the tips on the website to improve your surf fitness. The better shape your in, the more waves you'll catch.

Hopefully I'll see you at Surf Simply on my next trip.
Pura vida!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed April 25, 2013

To put it simply, Surf Simply is awesome and good for the soul!

Ru and his team have created a highly personalized training experience set in a low-key, positive vibe, casual, fun and incredibly welcoming atmosphere!

There are no egos here - only dedicated, fun, and patient coaches (special shout out to Harry who was my coach) who know what is needed to improve your surfing skills and to get you to the next level. After a week at Surf Simply, you will have the tools to surf anywhere!

This is my second time to Surf Simply and will not be my last - If you want to experience the best surf instructors, food, yoga, massage and meet lifelong friends - this is the place to go, you won’t regret it!

Pura Vida.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronnie585
Nosara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The details: I have been surfing for three years, and I have been struggling to get down the line consistently, turn, carve, not nosedive, basically trying to get to the next level. I came across the Surf Simply podcasts (http://www.surfsimply.com/podcast) and they were incredibly informative, but when I found out that there was a school associated with and directed by the author of the podcasts (Ru Hill) I had to book this trip! If you want to get to the next level, Surf Simply is where you need to go!!! My coach (Ollie) turned what were formerly complicated surfing concepts into easily attainable objectives. The surf is super consistent, and the food, location, atmosphere, coaching, support staff, essentially everything about the place is unmatched anywhere I.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing a room with another "like minded" surfer, go for it. I chose...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Holyoke, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was fortunate enough to spend an amazing week at Surf Simply in February 2013. I was a true beginner when I arrived in Nosara and I left with there a wealth of knowledge because of the experienced and knowledgeable instructors. Every detail of the week had been planned so well that I was able to totally relax and focus on learning how to surf. Meeting like-minded people and sharing plenty of laughs with them was a bonus. I was plotting my return while riding in the airport shuttle on the morning that I left. I am grateful for the experience I had with Jessie, my instructor. It believe it would be impossible to have a bad experience at Surf Simply. Keep up the good work, Ru and Company!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Belleair Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is the last day of my week at SurfSimply and I leave with a heavy heart.I enjoyed myself so much...Ru Hill has created the perfect all inclusive surfing academy. The Casitas were new with 2 bedrooms, living room and kitchen. The common area was great with a nice deep pool, kitchen, and hanging out couchThe instructors are all beautiful people, inside and out. I had 2 days with Oliver one on one as did several others (not sure that's a good thing since it suggests perhaps I needed "special attention :-)) never more than 3 to 1 student to instructor ratio. Four of the seven nights we were treated out to dinner at local restaurants which is a great idea since we got to visit some great places with no menu or drink restrictions, in my case I developed a love affair with mojitos and margaritas which may be why I was a bit wobbly on the morning surf. The dinners at Surf Simply were perfectly balanced in taste, portions and nutritional value even gluten or carbs restricted diets were accommodated. Massages with Crystal were outstanding, Danny and Valery the Tica managers were gracious, helpful and beautiful. The guests all got along beautifully with a very interesting mix of backgrounds from a doctor, a lawyer, retirees and an symphony conductor to yours truly perpetually seeking my next adventure while hitchiking on the worlds airlines...

I will be back sooner than later...

Pura Vida amigos!!!

Room Tip: All the Casitas are the same. Bring a coozie cup for your beer, they are getting some with logos som...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I cannot say enough about our experience at Surf Simply. These guys really know their stuff and Ru has assembled a fantastic group of staff and fellow coaches to execute a very well-conceived program and schedule. The villas are not luxurious but they are very nice and certainly comfortable, the food is absolutely outstanding and the coaches, process, and overall program are just really fantastic. I have been home for a few weeks and still think/look forward daily to going back. Truly a wonderful place and group of people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple