“Bucket List worthy”
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Ranked #1 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you are serious about surfing, Surf Simply in Nosara, Costa Rica is an excellent place to improve your surfing skills, meet interesting people, and have lots of fun doing so. By “serious” we mean ready and willing to push yourself mentally and physically (even when you are getting beat down by the pounding whitewater) to get that indescribable reward of catching a great wave and knowing that you have an arsenal of techniques and theory to take it on.

My wife and I tried surfing once about a year ago. We immediately understood the allure, challenge, and excitement of surfing and decided that we wanted to try surfing again. We researched surf schools far and wide and were impressed by the reviews of Surf Simply we found online and on the Surf Simply website. The reviews almost sounded too good to be true – but guess what? They are absolutely on point. From our first e-mail to Ru until the last goodbyes (or more like “see you later”s) after a week of total surf immersion, Surf Simply lived up to and exceeded our expectations.

The coaching staff is excellent and has great camaraderie, which makes the learning experience even better and more rewarding. The coaches are all very knowledgeable about surfing and are genuinely friendly, positive, and helpful. My personal instructor for the week was Graham and my wife worked with Graham and Kerianne. Graham is an excellent surfing coach and his positive attitude is contagious – you can’t be discouraged with Graham on your side. My wife says that “you can’t say no to that smile.” She affectionately calls Kerianne “Wonder Woman” because Kerianne was always positive and was able to coax my wife into conquering her fear of the ocean, literally and figuratively pushing her to get past those incoming whitewater waves to get out back.

The theory classes were very informative – we had no idea there was so much science in surfing. If you want a good lesson in board design, ask Harry a question and sit back and enjoy. If you want a good show, check out Jessie and Ollie on the waves (and Ru if you can catch him). All in all, we would say that no matter what coach you get at Surf Simply, you will learn a lot and have a good experience.

In addition to the coaches, everyone else at Surf Simply helped to make our experience a good one. Sarah’s cooking was tasty, fresh, and healthy. We think her food was actually better than the food in the local restaurants and every day we looked forward to her next gastronomical delight. Daniela made sure all of our needs were taken care of and she is pretty mean on the board as well. Val can light up any room with her spunky personality and upbeat attitude. You can’t go wrong with a massage from Crystal, and Francella helped stretch those tired muscles out with some good yoga lessons. The kitchen staff was friendly, welcoming, and cut the best mangoes! Last, but not least, even the furry four-legged folks, Jordi and Brownie, helped make our trip fun.

If you’re worried about hanging out with a bunch of strangers in between surf lessons, don’t be. We found that, even though our backgrounds were very different and we were from all over, everyone in our group got along and by the end of the week we had all exchanged contact information and had an open plan to meet up again in the future, whether at Surf Simply or back at home. If not for Surf Simply, we probably would never have met some of our new friends.

All in all, we are very happy with our experience at Surf Simply. We’re looking forward to our next surfing adventure!

Stefan & Rita

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stefan C

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just came back from first visit to SurfSimply. I had very high expectations and they were exceeded. I knew they took a different approach to surf coaching. I didn't realize how good 'different' could be until they laid it out. I now understand WHY they're teaching the techniques and how to apply them. The instruction approach is only half the equation....the INSTRUCTORS make the difference. Harry was my coach for the week. He's got an immense amount of technical knowledge but he delivers it with such great enthusiasm and personality that you'll stay entertained (it is vacation after all). The other thing that jumped out about all the coaches is that they are very positive and good listeners. - Thanks guys!

I have to give thanks to Sarah and her staff for the great food too. Delicious.
Francella also did a very good job of taking a yoga novice and not breaking me in half. Every class put me in a better place for the afternoon surf.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The entire trip was fabulous! the surf instructors were very knowledgeable and helped you every step of the way! the food was way better than I expected! Costa Rica is gorgeous. great trip to take with a group of friends.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been to SurfSimply twice, spending a total of 3 weeks with them. I just came back from another surf camp which I went to solely because I wanted to experience different beaches. Since all my prior surf trips had been at Surf Simply, I was expecting a similar experience. It turns out that Surf Simply is truly an exceptional coaching resort. All of the coaches are excellent teachers, and because there is an underlying curriculum all of their indispensable knowledge is passed on to their guests. All of my future solo surf trips will be with them. They take care of everything, I am certain to improve and I'm essentially guaranteed to have a great time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is fabulous ! The people, the coaching,the fun and supportive atmosphere, the food, the break, the yoga - all of it. If you want to increase your skills several levels, or learn from scratch, this is the place to go. They take a professional and analytical approach to surfing, and show you what you are doing wrong and right, and how to take it to the next level. My coach was Jessie, who was amazingly helpful and encouraging, and all of the other coaches were great as well, both with video assessment and in the water. Perhaps the most telling indicator of the quality of this place is the high " recidivism " rate. Something like 40% of the participants are " repeat offenders," returning on a regular basis to this wonderful piece of paradise. I know that I will be back soon ! Thanks !

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our second visit to Surf Simply. There really is no other place like it! If you want a week of great surfing this is the place! First time surfers to long time surfers will benefit from the outstanding coaching team and their dedication to improve your surfing. Mix an outstanding coaching team, an amazing chef (Sarah), great accommodations and consistent waves and the result is Surf Simply. The best compliment is a repeat customer, over half of the guests were repeat customers!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2013

went here for a week of coaching and there isn't in my opinion a better place to improve your surfing skills then Surf Simply. All aspects are great from seamless pickup at airport to accommodations,meals.lectures and best of all the great instructors that Ru has gathered.

they absolutely know what they are doing and do it well and make the seven days too short. Playa Guiones is a great place to surf for all levels

Room Tip: all rooms are equally good, you will sleep soundly after two surf sessions and a good dinner