Surf Simply
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Nosara
See available hotels
Olas Verdes Hotel(Nosara)
  • Pool
Jungles Edge(Nosara)
View Hotel
All reviewscoaching stafflearn howthese guysfellow gueststhe entire experiencestretch classesvideo footagecosta ricalearning howactive vacationskill levelvideo reviewlocal restaurantsbigger wavestheory lessonsteaching styleboard shorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Surf Simply is SO good you may NOT want to share your experience for fear that they will be booked when you want to return. And you will. If you want to improve your surfing you MUST go to Surf Simply. All the coaches are well-trained and can communicate Ru's magical demystification of surfing well. The resort is small and homey. I am NOT an all-inclusive type of person but that aspect saved us time, effort and aggravation. They take care of you from the moment you land until you get to the airport to leave. I am an intermediate surfer and learned a tremendous amount from the coaches. My kids (14 and 16) have taken lessons in California and Hawaii and surfed at home intermittently. They improved a LOT. And are ready to schedule the next visit (we've been home two days). You are part of a family while there. The coaches have a great sense of humor and are so enthusiastic about getting you to improve. Several of the people who were there at the same time as us were absolute beginners and were catching 3 ft waves by the end of the week. We are trying to find time in 5-6 six months go back. I had no idea how good this trip could be. Watch the podcasts. Watch the You Tube stuff. It's even better in person. And you will be reduced to a babbling promotion for Surf Simply.

Room Tip: All the rooms are in cabanas with two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and "family room" with outside deck and seating area. Clean, comfy, nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gordon M
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and 2 daughters had taken a surfing lesson or two over the years where the focus is just to get you up and to ride one wave by any means. Surf Simply's philosophy is to truly teach you surfing so that beginners can learn enough so that they can take their skills home and continue their journey with this lifelong sport. More advanced surfers can advance their knowledge and skill with the sport which is facilitated by the Surf Simply location near a stretch of beach which is known for its consistently excellent surf conditions.

Ru has assembled a team of fantastic instructors who are all smart, expertly trained, incredibly welcoming, completely accommodating, and just plain fun. My family of 4 all had different instructors (Oli, Jessie, Graham, Jack), and all were truly excellent.

We've vacationed in many places in the world and my kids (14 + 12) called this among the best vacations they've ever had. We're already plotting our return!

Room Tip: Our bed mattress was quite a bit harder than we're used so if this is a factor, suggest inquiring upon booking if some rooms have softer options than others.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I cannot say enough positive things about Surf Simply! I was brand new to surfing and am so grateful to have been given the ultimate foundation to build on what I learned and continue surfing. The coaches are genuinely interested in each and every person and go out of their way to ensure we were comfortable, having fun and progressing every day. My coach was Jesse and I was blown away by her encouragement and detailed instruction. While the philosophy and skills taught are the same for every one at Surf Simply, Jesse clearly understood that she had to adjust her teaching style to accommodate each of our our skill levels, individual concerns, learning styles, etc... I know when I paddle out for the first time on my own, I will hear her voice!! Too bad she won't be behind me to push me into the wave :-)

In addition to the excellent coaching and surfing theory everyday, the crew at Surf Simply makes sure that the total experience is top notch. The food was to die for, we were truly spoiled! The meals at the camp, as well as the restaurants we visited were the best around. Ru and his team made sure every detail was taken care of including activities such as daily yoga or a massage, transportation, clean rooms and in general, that our overall comfort was a priority. Dani - we could not have done this without you!

My overall experience was extremely positive and I already miss the staff and the people I met there. I cannot recommend Surf Simply enough whether you are a beginner, a super star surfer or you just want to brush up on your skills.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Surf Simply is incredible. The quality of the coaching, techniques and tools is top level. For all levels from total beginners (me) to experienced surfers, everyone was stoked and learning. As a total beginning surfer, I learned how to control the board and to pop up within the first sessions. Then, with a combination of theory sessions, video tools, and time in the water, I learned new things every session for a progression on what I'd already been taught. Individual coaching attention in the water was frequent, consistent, and precise. My coach, Jessie, was so knowledgeable, encouraging, and so obviously enjoyed teaching that her energy and focus kept my energy up. Jessie, and the other coaches, sometimes with just a word or a gesture, could quickly communicate how to correct a mistake in the water and show me how to improve. My goal was to be able to paddle out and catch an unbroken wave. With Jessie paddling out with me ("dig, dig, dig"), I paddled out through the impact zone with press ups and turtle rolls learned in the pool, and for the first time sat on my board out back (with some awe), watching waves rise from the horizon, then paddled to catch the speed of wave. Every day and every session I learned something new. It was one of the best weeks of my life, and I'm already planning a return trip. Ru and everybody there has everything fine-tuned---from arrival, transportation, meals, yoga, massage, transfers, teaching techniques--all high quality, and it all just flows. I had high expectations (from the Outside magazine review and the frequency of surfers returning for repeat trips), but my expectations were all exceeded.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank randall c
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Surf Simply is a group I now feel privileged to know and have been trained by. This is not a surf camp mill churning out people who can stand up on a board. Ru and his team have created a highly personalized training experience set in a low-key, casual, FUN and incredibly welcoming atmosphere. There are no egos here. Only dedicated coaches who can instantaneously discern exactly what is needed to improve your surfing skills day to day. When I was afraid of going "out back" on a particularly large day - I was not pacified with an "it will be okay" speech. I was patiently sat down on the beach and explained the mechanics of rip currents and reminded of all of my safety options on how to paddle out to or in from waves of that size. I was never outside of 20 yards from my surf coaches, who had their eye for safety and training always.

At the resort itself, you witness everything, but you cant fathom how it all gets done so seamlessly and behind the scenes. The resort is perfectly manicured, yet you never see a gardener. The food was my favorite in Guiones, yet Sarah (and LuLu!) make it seem effortless. How did Laura get that amazing candid photo? No clue, but there were about 250 shots we received at the end of the trip. Even our beautiful yoga classes were tailored to surfing poses.

They have hired an amazingly talented crew and have built something really special. I feel lucky to have found Surf Simply.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends