“Amo_From France to Pura Vida..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Corky Carroll's Surf School
Ranked #5 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Had a very good time (again!!) in Nosara, as always very good mood at the surf camp, amazing staff and the food...so good!! This is really the place where you feel as good as in a family.
The surfing experience is great, waves and conditions are perfect for all kind of levels.
The 20 hours trip from Europe won't make stop to go there, just too good to miss.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Rick, the owner, and his son Collin ensure that your experience surfing and your stay in Nosara will be positive and rewarding. We met people from Europe, Canada and USA, ranging in age from mid teens to early 60's and all except my wife and I and one other person had been there at least 3 times before. The other person heard about this place from his parents that had been twice before and are scheduled to return this spring.
It is hard to imagine the disparity in ages and backgrounds mixing, but it happens spontaneously. The socialization mixed with a lot of laughter and support for all is an incredible experience to enjoy. The instructors are extremely talented surfers who have infinite patience and energy and will take any minute step that you make as a reason to celebrate. We are already planning our return and are encouraging our boys (23+25) to join us.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

If you are looking for a hotel experience this isn't it. This is like visiting family in Costa Rica. They look after you. Feed you. Do your laundry. Leave you alone when you want privacy. Hang out with you when you want company. The surfing is incredible. The instructors make sure you get the most out of your trip. They want you to have fun. Every year I learn something new. Every year I get a little better. My kids won't go anywhere else because they say this feels like family. It only takes a few days to feel like you belong here too.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
ccsssurfschool, Owner at Corky Carroll's Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Thanks guy, we live by our family motto: "a family who surfs togeather, sticks togeather"

We can't wait to see you guys next year ! Pura Vida !

Reviewed May 17, 2011

I could not rate this trip and location highly enough. My only hessitation is that once you know how great this is you will go, your friends will go and their friends should go and so it would go on.

But honestly, you should.

I have just got back from a week away in Costa Rica with Corky Carrolls Surf school and can honestly say it was the first true vacation I have had for about 6 years. I came away, more learned, more relaxed, more informed and enlightened by my stay with Rick, Collin, Tenallo (sorry if I spelt that wrong) and little Charlie.

Rick and his team welcome you into their family for a week and you could not be made to feel more welcome. The team (from Kelsey in Huntington) right down to the guys on the ground in Costa Rica took care of every detail and made the whole experience simple, enjoyable and relaxing.

They make the trip into what ever you want it to be, you just have to ask.

Book, buy an airline ticket and that is it.

They were there, punctually waiting for me at my arrival in Liberia and got me from there to their place in Playa Guiones without hitch (it is a 2 hour drive with an hour of it on dirt road and bit bumpy, but the scenery once you are out of the towns is nothing short of spectacular).

The Surf School is the Walkers Costa Rican home and offers large, fan cooled rooms (I think there were 6) for their guests, located around a pool in wonderfully cared for gardens. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are freshly prepared every day by in-house cooks and the food is plentiful, healthy, satisfying and down right delicious.

Surfing takes place everyday (if you want it) with morning lessons and an afternoon session to hone your skills. Lesson are one to one and focus on the core foundations to enable your surfing to progress.

The surf is great. The most consistent place I have ever seen with wave after wave after wave gracing the beautiful 3 mile beach. To be honest the surfing is a welcomed distraction and gave me a focus for the week. It takes your mind off work, home and any other things that may be playing on your mind. The coaching not only gives you better water skills but will teach you some lessons for life and how to truly relax and slow down.

I can not say enough good things about the place, the people or the experience. I would love to go back again.

Pros:
Clean
Personal
Welcoming
Great Food
Great rooms
Great people
Amazing beach (surf was 2-3 feet max for the week i was there which was perfect for me but it does get much bigger apparently depending on time of year, weather, fate etc)
Amazing coaching
Great equipment (custom longboards from Huntington Beach)

Cons:
Noisy frogs at night
Noisy monkeys in the morning
but you can't help nature can you.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Moons_Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I just returned from my trip to Corky Carroll's Surf School, but I already want to make plans to go back.

We (two young females on our first trip to Costa Rica) were a little nervous about things at first, but staff at this school make it all so easy. Just get to the airport and everything else is handled. We felt safe the entire time and we are excited to go back as soon as we can.

The site is absolutely gorgeous, the food is to die for (believe me, I love my food), and the staff is awesome. The school is set-up so that become good friends with the staff and fellow students. The surf lessons are great, too. I had no surfing experience at all (hell, I just learned how to ride a bicycle), but by the end of the trip I was able to consistently stand up on my waves.

This type of trip isn't for everyone: there is no air conditioning, you encounter a fair amount of wild life, and the town is pretty rustic. However, everything you need is on site (food, water, and beer) or a short walking distance away (additional snacks and internet access). If you are looking to learn to surf or just go off the grid for a while, this an ideal place to go!

For more pictures and information, check out the articles I wrote for Patch.com: http://patch.com/A-gMjW. The articles include some of the local businesses you can visit during your stay at Corky Carroll's. Day 3 even has video of the monkey noises you might hear from your room!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The other reviews have it right the rooms are comfortable, the food is healthy and great, and the people who run it are awesome. They can teach beginners to surf with no problem. They absolutely excel at helping intermediate surfers get better. Giving them the confidence to go for bigger waves and do more with them once they catch'em.

If you get stuck on the beach when the big swell hit. this is the place for you!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I've already been to this slice of heaven 3 times and many more to come. Like others have said, get to the airport and they do the rest! The rooms are very comfortable, the food is great and plentiful, and it's just the most chilled out, down to earth place you could ever want to go. Rick, Collin and the entire staff make you feel like you're part of the family.

The surfing instructors are top notch, and multiple daily surf sessions are just the beginning. I've had some amazing adventures in and around Nosara - hiking to waterfalls, zip lines and running around bull rings (inside, with a bull) to name a few.

Go, experience the pura vida, then go again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo