“You will not be disappointed! Just Beautiful”

Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Nosara
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have done a few reviews of hotels in South America and this is by far in my top 3! This hotel made our whole trip just amazing. First, the service is wonderful. The owners are very welcoming, they greet you at the entrance and sit down with you before you check in to give you an overview of the hotel, services and the local activities. I got a bit sick during my trip and the owner made me a special meal and brought it to my room (very nice!)

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. It is hard to describe the view but you are overlooking the coast line and it is just breathtaking. We spent several nights at the property and we just felt like we were in paradise. I also was impressed by the amount of wildlife at this hotel. There are monkeys (whiteface and howlers) everywhere.

I highly recommend doing the hike down to the park below the hotel. It was free since we were staying at the hotel and we were pleasantly surprised at how convenient and close it was. We ran into a pack of howler monkeys during our hike so that was very exciting for us!

I also really liked the food. It was just as good as any restaurant in Nosara (if not better). The only thing is you will have to make a reservation because the restaurant can get busy with other visitors from outside the hotel.

The room was simple, but very clean and spacious. It had everything we needed and it was very private. I didn't hear a word from the room next door and we had a beautiful balcony overlooking the ocean. We didn't wan't to leave.

Couple of things: You need a car to get here or if you want to go back and forth to the central town of Nosara. the roads are very unpredictable and sometimes un-driveable depending on the weather (most rainy season though). Make sure you have an SUV and it is bumpy!

The parking lot can get full fast if you go during high season and if you come back late after a night in the town, you will have to park your car outside the locked gates.

This is well worth your stay and money, so don't consider any other hotel in Nosara- you wont be disappointed!

I will post our photos as well (they were stunning)

Room Tip: ask for a view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TWDCanada

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a WONDERFUL place! The hosts are kind and gracious (as were all the staff) and the location is perfect. We enjoyed everything about it. We were in a standard room and we could not have asked for anything more. Comfortable, spacious and clean. The nature reserve is absolutely fantastic. We got up early and took our time walking through and saw wonderful wildlife. And the fact that the owners are so environmentally conscious is a huge plus. We will definitely be back to this special place!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We arrived at sunset and were warmly greeted by Regina. The view is amazing. The warmth and graciousness of the host is what you hope to find when travelling but Regina is simply wonderful. My wife and I both opted for the tenderloin. It was tender, perfectly seasoned and a generous potion. We couldn't have picked a better spot for our last dinner of 2013.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

The day starts with a big breakfast buffet including the typical local "Gallo Pinto", Swiss home made bread and good selection of seasonal fruits which was excellent.
The location and view is the best in Nosara, close to nature and a short drive to the beaches.

1  Thank TLauchenauer
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This lovely hotel is up a hill on Playa Pelada (a quieter beach than the bustling surfer hangout in "hippy" Nosara, a 10-minute car ride away). The food is fine (nothing special), but the views are beyond lovely, and the hotel owners take care of a 100+ acre reserve that is just magical (quiet, tho in Dec., we didn't see many animals, save a number of birds and lizards). One of the co-owners, Amadeo, is especially helpful.

Room Tip: I don't think there would be a bad room (all have a view of the valley beyond the hotel).
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We just got back from a 17 day stay at Lagarta Lodge, and will join the other previous guests by raving about our experience there. Our hosts, Regina and Amadeo, have embraced the Pura Vida goodness of Costa Rica in a big way. To run something like Lagarta Lodge in Costa Rica, especially in such a remote location, would be daunting at best - yet they make the impossible seem almost effortless. Their warm smiles and friendliness never faltered, no matter how busy they were. This is by far the best value in the area for lodging. Our standard room was huge, had an incredible view, was kept spotless by daily housekeeping services. We felt comfortable at all times and with the provided safe to store our iPad, phones, passports and money, we had extra piece of mind. We did not have AC, and did not miss it at all, the fan and mountain breezes were perfect for staying cool in the Costa Rican heat.The area is breathtakingly beautiful and Lagarta Lodge provides easy access to river trips, horseback and ATV tours and nature hikes. The Lodge is located away from the more crowded Guiones area, but you can drive to Guiones, Playa Pelada, Garza, Ostional and Samara quite easily and be home for a siesta or dinner in no time. The restaurant is very handy when you don't feel like driving the bumpy roads down to Guiones, and the food is great. The breakfast buffet is terrific, with healthy selections of fruit and cereals and cooked food every day. Costa Rican coffee is served at 6 AM, can't beat it. The sunset bar attracts visitors from all over the area, as the view of the River Nosara and the Nosara Coast is magnificent. We initially thought we might have been hasty in booking just one place for our entire Costa Rican vacation, no matter how great the price was (and it is incredible) - but now I feel it was a lucky decision - we had so much fun in Nosara and having this wonderful place to come home to after a day of surfing, SUP paddling, yoga, horseback riding, turtle watching and dining out was a blessing. The road up to the Lodge is best done in a four wheel drive, as is most of Nosara - so take that into account when renting your vehicle. We had no trouble finding the place, there are good signs all the way up. Highest praises to Lagarta Lodge, we would definitely return and we highly recommend it to anyone looking for the best bang for your Nosara vacation buck or just as the best place to get away from it all in Nosara. The staff is terrific as well, all Costa Ricans, all wonderful. They keep the grounds and pool looking beautiful every day. Your hosts speak multiple languages fluently, so no matter where you are from, you will feel at home here. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We had room number 1 - upstairs, great view, no AC and none needed. This is a less expensive room, b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2013

What a great place if I had more time I would have stayed longer. I've visited CR many times over tha past 20 years, but this is my first time to Nosara. I wish I would have come here sooner, I probably would have built my vacation home, but that's another discussion.

I've been wanting to come to Nosara because of it's proximity to Osteonal, a must see for turtle watcing in CR. After reviewing a number hotels on Tripadvisor and others I chose to go with Lagarta Lodge for its location, quiet and amenities. I made the right decision.

Upon arrival, we were met by the owners, Regina and Amadeo, who exude hospitality. Amadeo spent about 15 minutes with us going over the hotel, the nature preserve they created and maintain, the views, and environs (don't swim in the river - there are crocodiles). The view from their restaurant is spectacular. I can only imagine the sunset view from their bar since we only had one night there, and I wanted to spend that turtle watching.

Regina was very kind to call Osteonal and arrange for an English speaking guide for us. She recommended the best time to leave for the best possible encounter at no additional cost. There was another couple staying there who did not have car, and Regina broke the ice and asked if we might have some room in our car to take them with us. We happily agreed and made some great new friends that evening.

The amenities were as claimed, and maybe even better. The place is immaculately clean. I have a vacation home in CR and know how difficult it is to keep clean and in working condition. Kudos to Regina and Amadeo for keeping this place in as good a shape as it is. We stayed in an air conditioned room which was very large and comfortable. The views from the room were spectacular with iguanas lounging on the trees not far out of reach. There are great rocking chairs on the balcony where you can relax and read a book or enjoy the view.

Loved this place!

Room Tip: Definitely go with the air conditioned room.
2  Thank margaret I l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nosara
2 mi away
#5 of 24 in Nosara
Los Altos de Eros
Los Altos de Eros
#1 of 24 in Tamarindo

Been to Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge? Share your experiences!