“Surprisingly good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Ubon Ratchathani
Bangkok, Thailand
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went there on a short notice business trip. This hotel was my walk-in as a result of google search. The room rate was average with some discount due to the nature of my business trip. The room is modern and well equipped as well as spacious. Wifi is fast. The pool as slides are great. Spa and massage service were excellent. There were variety of food to choose from for breakfast.
Hotel manager was very helpful when we asked for special rate for long stay. the location is convenient and the hotel is connected to a mall where goods and grocery can be purchased.
In conclusion, this hotel is gem and even better than some hotel with the same rate in big city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Must be the top business choice in Ubon. Brand new hotel. Price isn't cheap for this part of the country and for what you get, price/quality is similar to what you would expect in Bangkok. Rooms really nice, yes. Breakfast very good and included which is a big plus. Extremely handy for the shopping mall. You won't know the weather going from your room to the shops and back. Nice upmarket mall too. Free and secure parking. Strange design with not a lot of consideration for the disabled. I am fortunately ambulant, but we have a push chair for our young'un and you could not seem to avoid stairs from the room to reception.

Room Tip: They have a water park on the 4th floor! Very handy for shops.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Graham Hull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I booked this hotel through an on-line agency. When I arrived at the hotel they had not reserved a room for me and insisted that I pay extra for a larger room. Any decent hotel would have provided a free upgrade.

They also have a bizarre phone system which means that you cannot make calls from your room.

I used to assume that this was the best hotel in Ubon but after trying a few others I have concluded that Sunee Grand is way over priced.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GTH
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went to have BD dinner with my family at Sunee Grand Hotel on 24th July 2013. There are 6 of us. The food taste good and we had a great time. However, after I come back from dinning at Sunee Grand Hotel (at the lobby), I had running stomach and bad diarrhea all night!!! My mum starts to have diarrhea in the morning around 8am and in the end she finally had to admit at a private hospital in Ubon Ratchathani. She went to toilet during the day around 15times and I went to the toilet over 30times! The doctor said we had bad food infection and my mum had to inject few bottles of saline water. I called the hotel to tell them what has happened. The first call was transferred to a waitress who then transfer my call to the restaurant captain but the captain hang up on my call. Second time, I informed the receptionist manager and she said she will pass this issue to the management board. However, they didnt return my call and no apology from the hotel. I was wondering how the 5star hotel gonna solve this issue so I call them again and ask if they found what might be in the food? However, the hotel manager replied they had a meeting and they deny and refuse their responsibility even I told them we went to see the doctor and the doctor said we had food infection!! They said there were only 2 of us who had diarrhea but not all of us. I told them there are something that others didn't eat such as seafood sauce and every person's stomach sensitivity is different I explain to the hotel manager that my stomach is more sensitive than others because I just come back from overseas. Even that if the hotel cook the food properly and clean we shouldn't be sick. I and my mum didn't had anything before dinner and after dinner we didn't go anywhere else. After I come back home, I start to have bad stomach. I cant work for 2days and had to stay home. I feel really disappointed for the 5star hotel service. We are not only paying the food bill for 3,000baht (around $AU100 which is not cheap in Thailand) but also have to pay almost (12,000baht or $AU400) for the hospital and medication per person!!! The hotel manager only said that they will get back to me but I never receive any call or any apologies. They are careless and irresponsible. I don't recommend any traveller to dine at Sunee grand hotel as you might get sick and probably end up paying those costs like I do.

3 Thank Golfie24
Ubon Ratchathani
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Good location and lots of stores around it but the service is horrendous. Last trip I called to confirm my reservation price and room twice and they raised it 25% hours before I arrived. I've had many problems with managers here before. You are not a customer. You're just another 2,000 baht. If you don't need to stay here for the location, go somewhere better like T3.

1 Thank AnthonyH99
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Most of the staff were not able to speak English well, they could not catch up what the guest need . Wifi coverage was too poor, even only at the lobby but it was not easy to access. The room was good but not convenience when there was no wifi connection.
Good location and easy to access to shopping mall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We only stayed the 2 nights here and had a pleasant stay. We came for a wedding (which didn't happen) so wouldn't have come to Ubon Ratchathani otherwise. The service was ok but this is not a popular westerner tourist area so the English is nowhere near as good as say Bangkok. The hotel rooms are huge, well appointed and clean and there is a nice pool area. There is a shopping centre right next door. The food at the hotel was pretty good and we had a few cocktails in the lounge area where they had a singer/ band playing. Check out the night market area in Ubon if you are looking to shop. Good prices and heaps of shops to check out.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view over the pool area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family