“Underwhelming”
Review of Spago

Spago
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: WE accept visa, master card,american express.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Below average food for above average prices. If you like to spend 2,400 for a basic meal then this is a good place to start. the olives seemed to come straight from a can. As the pits were uniformly removed. This can't be done by hand. The servers don't really know proper etiquette as far as pouring wine goes etc.

It is over all not a horrible place but don't consider it a very good value. Lasagne as good as I had at Spago can be bought in a frozen food aisle in America and prepared in a microwave. I realise this is Ubon and went in with low expectations but had to lower them more.

fapfrap, Owner at Spago, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hello, I’m very sorry you didn't like the food and service in my restaurant but just to let you know olives come from can unfortunately we don’t have a tree at back of the restaurant.

When a big food manufacture put a new menu on sale the call in the best chef to find the original taste since my lasagna tasted to you like the supermarket I believe is a great product.( my restaurant in London had many write-up from the evening standard newspaper about lasagna)

You mentioned 2400 bill can you please tell people what you eat and drink for that price as I recall btl. of wine and an irish coffe, 3 starters and 2 main dishes.

In Thailand is quite difficult to find serving staff since this job is seen as low status the girl we use are student we try to teach as much as we can. Maybe is not good for your standard.
I run restaurant in central London for 25 years and before that I work for many years in the catering business, I’m not the usual expat that come to Thailand and invent itself as chef your review is very bad and make no sense.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Ubon is in the Isaan region of Thailand. To the far East. It might be the last place you would expect to find an authentic Italian restaurant that comes complete with an authentic Italian chef.

Spago is located on the outskirts of Ubon city. It is nothing extravagant but it is functional and comfortable. The restaurant is open daily for lunch from 11:00 to 14:30 and for dinner 17:00 to 22:00 with the same small but satisfying menu.

There is a good selection of pasta dishes and pizzas along with a fine selection of wine (available by the glass) and spirits. The food is served in a friendly manner and portions are filling. After you finish you meal you might want to consider an expresso and a selection from the freshly baked pastries.

If you suddenly woke up in Spago you might think you are some where in Italy instead of in Thailand. It is very relaxing and comfortable.

If you like good spaghetti, lasagna, or fettuccine I am sure you will enjoy your experience at Spago. There is also a daily special that includes item not on the menu.

If you are visiting Ubon or live in Ubon I would highly recommend stopping by Spago. Though it is western food it is still a local spot. There are many expats and tourist eating there but there is also a constant flow of locals.
Do yourself and you palate a favor and visit Spago. You'll be glad you did.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

As an Ubonratchathanian, I would like to put all of my reputation, if there is any, to say that this is the most genuine Italian restaurant you could find in this city. As it is not a well-known spot for foreigners, Ubonratchathani usually has the Western restaurant with a taste that has been hugely adjusted to the local's palate which is good in a way, but it is always quite toublesome when your taste buds really want to have some genuine taste and texture.

And here comes Spago! It answers the needs of genuine Italian taste pretty much, not entirely -of course. With its monopoly possession on the wooden oven in town, it has authorised the only genuine taste, texture and smell of Italian pizza. The pasta is also good and has been cooked to Al Dente most of the times. For me the only draw back is its lasagna, which some reviewers seem to like it so much so please read it as my personel opinion. I've found its lasagna a bit too sulky and the taste of the sauce has been suppressed by the pasta and the cheese too much. Another drawback, if it could be counted, is that there is no beef or lamb dishes there, and they are somethig to be expected from Italian restaurant in a sense. Anyhow, any food that appears on the menu is above average, and simply the best genuine Italian restaurant in Ubon for sure.

1  Thank kritdikorn
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I live in Laos and every time I go to Ubon for work I have my compulsory stop at Spago restaurant, where I can eat a tasty pizza real Italian style (wood fire oven is a must for a real pizza) or any other dish on the menu, knowing that Franco the chef is doing the job.

The restaurant is very clean and well decorated, the waitresses attentive and kind.

If you are in Ubon and looking for the best Italian food this is your place, guaranteed!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Spago's is an amazing Italian place in Ubon! It has a huge variety in the menu, all of which are very affordable not only for tourists but also for locals. Very friendly staff and owner!