“Destination wedding- a dream come true”

Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Juan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Destination wedding- a dream come true”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our dream destination wedding was held in this beautiful resort last February 8,2013. My sister found this place through the internet and so we only communicated thru e-mail with the marketing manager as we live overseas. It was not hard to get in touch with them because they replied promptly to all our inquiries.
When we saw the resort a week before our wedding we were impressed with the preparations they have showed us, they paid attention to all the details we provided considering that we only had less than 2 months to plan and prepare for our special day. Glynis, the marketing manager was very generous with all our demands and negotiations. The day before our wedding they expect us to be stressed and panicky but surprisingly we felt the opposite, we are rest assured that everything will go smoothly. In addition they have in-house acoustic band and emcee that we were not able to provide which helped a lot too. On the day of our wedding we saw how they worked hard in preparing the set up by the beach area, Ms. Glynis made sure we were happy with all they have done so far, which we are and could not even think of anything bad to say.
The outcome: A very unforgettable wedding, we were very happy as they exceeded our expectations, we loved every bit of the set-up from the beach ceremony to the reception area. It was worth every cent that we have paid for.
Yes, Nature could be uncooperative sometimes but the warm service of the staff, management and crew outweighed minor glitches that have occurred. We would like to commend the staff and management of Kahuna Bar- Restaurant and Spa especially to Ms.Glynis Balagot, Ms. Lani, to the florist, to chef, to those who helped with the set-up and everyone who took part in making this very special event happen.
We will surely go back to this place over and over again everytime we will be coming home for a holiday. This place made us feel comfortable from the first day we set foot in this resort up until our last day here, we felt at home and was hard for us to leave this place.
Thank you and you guys are the best!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dhisam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I used to be a front desk agent at a corporate hotel, so I have some insight on how a hotel should operate. We called Kahuna the night before we left asking for a garden room (cheapest at 5k+) for 3 nights, and since we wanted to avoid traffic, we left Manila at 2am for an expected arrival around 8am. We requested for an early check in, but was told that instead of reserving the room for us, we would be treated as a walk-in. A couple hours later the receptionist called to confirm with us that we would have a room, and that Angela would personally allow us for an early check-in.

We arrived around 9:30am. They politely told me that they would check the rooms for availability, and that check in was at 2pm. I dropped Angela's name after a while of waiting and after maybe 15 minutes of looking at the beach and waiting around, we were able to check in early! What a relief! If Angela did not keep her word (and she wasn't there at check-in), my entire experience would have changed. So, I am glad the resort's team followed through with their promise and I am very happy we were granted our request. Early check-in is not a guarantee, so follow-through with the resort is important.

The food was excellent, I enjoyed the dishes very much. The pork chops had a very creamy sauce that was delicious and unique, and the black ahi tuna was a peppery delight. The waitstaff were pleasant and composed.

I indulged on our 15 minute complimentary massage. I called to make an appointment at 9:00am, and was able to schedule it for 11:30am. I spent the next couple hours on the beach and returned to the resort at 11:27am. My father cancelled the massage because we were already checked out. I rushed to the spa asking if it was ok to still have it, even though they called twice and visited the room. They graciously accommodated me, which I was very thankful for!! After surfing two sessions a day for 3 days straight and partying the LU lifestyle, a massage was badly needed. I was lucky to have two ladies work on me, it was bliss! They are good at what they do (my ex used to be a sports medicine massage therapist, so that's saying something too!). I would love to go have a spa day there in the future.

The room was nice, maybe a little small but who needs to stay in a room at the beach? The bathroom was the highlight of our room type. I found myself sitting on the toilet longer than i needed to just to enjoy the large glass window with a bamboo wall background and potted plants hanging. A minor issue: the water pressure changed more than a couple times, probably due to the room next door using the hot water too. What was also really great was the complimentary bottles of water they would place in the room. Those saved my life, and so did the complimentary breakfasts. The vegetarian omelette is the BOMB!

Bottom line, my experience at the resort was everything I expected it to be. I had a great weekend with my father, who can thankfully afford it all. I was a little disappointed when I visited my friend at the Little Surf Maid who had a room with two queen beds, mini kitchen and seating area+great view of the point for only 3.5k a night. Butttt that place has no infiniti pool, nice restaurant, and bar! Money is one thing; an experience another. Most of the time you get what you pay for, and the Kahuna experience I had lived up to it. Thank youuuuuuuuuu! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank megan g
tarlac city
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We didn't realize that it was that worst till after the event. We held my sister’s wedding here last January. Everybody drove 5-7 hours away as majority are from Tarlac Province. On the day of her wedding it was misting on and off. We got there by 1:30 and the big event was supposed to start 4-5pm. Everything was well decorated by the beach but it was all soaking wet. They have bamboo post set up unfortunately not strong enough to hold tarp. As soon as we got there I can see tears from my sisters’ eyes. The resort didn't have plan B. The resort waited for us without doing anything, they have hall that can accommodate 60 but we have 70 guest. The resorts event planner said they didn't expect that it's going to rain so they were not prepared for it???? At that point we didn't have any choice; they lend us 2/3s of the restaurant and move all decorations there. And off course it stopped misting right after everything was moved but the staffs were not willing to move it back plus there was not enough time. It was crowded and super hot. The entourage wedding music was not played on time; everybody walked already and stills no music. There was no table for principal sponsors to sign. Not enough chairs. Food was ok but not the greatest. No tables set for parents and principal sponsors. Most of what was agreed before the wedding didn't happen. We heard several unpleasant comments from friends and relatives who attended the wedding, it was indeed a mess! For 200k wedding bill it was not worth it, not what we expected it's going to be. We rented the rest house and it was licking the whole time we were there, no garbage bags, no new towels, nobody came in to clean rest rooms and we were there for 3 days. Etc... This resort is beautiful and good for holidays but not for big events. I don't think staffs were trained for big events. Too bad u only gets married once and that moment you can never bring back. To my sister, I totally understand how u feels and to the management of this resort it's definitely not worth recommending.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janzTarlacCity
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay here and were very lucky to have the live bands playing that night and some famous Philippine actor to close the event
The location of the resort is perfect and the although quiet pricey its money well spent.
The check in is effortless and the front desk staff are very helpful especially Karen who made all arrangements for us.
The rooms are very spacious and designed very nicely, although the blinds should come with an instructional manual. And its strange to have a bath room with an open window.
The room A/C is quite noisy and for the ambience of the resort could be a little quieter.
Bathroom toiletries are nice and smell very good, apparently made from goat.
The TV channels are excellent and offer quite a few choices especially for english premiership matches which show very late with the time difference.
The tv next room can be heard easily so might be advisable to keep this in mind.

Next up for Kudos is the food. The chef is a nice chap that takes time to greet the customers in the restaurant, very nice touch. He comes from Bosnia but has travelled the world gaining experience in europe, canada and now Asia.
It might of been nice if the management was taking a leaf out the chefs book and try to meet and greet the guest around the resort.
The food menu is extensive and covers pretty much everything.
The sigsig is awesome as were the chili nachos, prawn sinigang and although when busy, food can take a while to arrive but its well worth the wait.
Breakfast is nice, with some interesting sausages and nice poached eggs.
Would Maybe recommend to add some butter and ketchup to the table without asking.
Service staff were excellent, Miss Julie done a great job of supplying the drinks during the evening and was rushing from the moment she arrived to the moment she went home.
Always service with a smile and knows her job.
The other service staff to highly commend were Moses and Juvi, both great servers and attention to detail was second to none.
The food prices are very reasonable as were the drinks.
Best drink was the vodka and fresh Coconut(buko) juice or the local San Miguel premium beer.
If surfing is you're thing then this is the place. I don't surf but did catch a few big waves with my wife when we were swimming, great way to cure a hangover from the night before.
The Hotel infinity pool was nice and never too busy even when the hotel was full.
Staff uniforms are very nice and match the hotel.

HIghlight of the holiday was the massage. Superb deep tissue for 1 hour with the massage therapist called Mimi. My wife really enjoyed her full body massage also.
But the massage was faultless. Deep tissue massage really hit the spot and all my areas of concern were beaten to a pulp.
The massage is nicely priced for quality and for sure i'll return.

My only complaint was the terrible WIFI service in the resort.
As the phone signal is not good enough for data service this really need to be addressed.
Even with a few bars of wifi it basically didn't work.
Please sort this out as people rely on this simple commodity.
And if you cant give good free WIFI there are people willing to pay for it

All in all it was very enjoyable stay and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tarlac, Philippines
Reviewed February 2, 2013

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2013

It was a nightmare. I still can't get over it. We held our most awaited day at this resort and what a mess. When we arrived at the resort it was misting on and off, decorations by the beach was done but it's all wet because they don't have big umbrellas or tent to cover it. When I first booked and phoned they said they have big tents in case it rained. Not enough room and chairs to accommodate our 70, it was overcrowded on top of that was very hot!!! I requested for Electric Fan unfortunately the whole resort only have one. Some guest has to take turns to eat dinner because there are no seats available. What a shame considering we all drove 5-7 hours away. It was agreed that principal sponsors will be having their own tables so as parents and their food was agreed seat-in. Non of this happened.The rest house that we rented was licking the whole time we where there. We ask them to fix it they came and fix 1 room and left the other two licking. I can go on and on and on. Never again!! Not worth paying 2k per guest. Poor planning events! Thanks for ruining our most awaited day!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
26 Thank almondsluke
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The group decided to stay here and my friends from Canada really admired the place and the services. It really feels like you're in place of happiness and peace of mind. The beach is so amazing and we really wanna go back and spend more days here. Good times!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Bauang
The Little Surfmaid Resort
The Little Surfmaid Resort
#9 of 14 in La Union Province

Been to Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!