“Supurb Friendly Quality Resort”

Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Stayed in the Ocean Pool View Suite for one night, to celebrate St Valentines Day. We were both delighted with our accomodation.

Very comfortable and upto quality western standards. Execellent service and good quality food in the restuarant. The staff where all very friendly and efficent, we recommend this resort and will certainly stay here next year.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa

Reviewed February 6, 2012

A recommendable place! I liked the surprise that they did in our rm and the service of all the staffs are excellent. Another part of the resort that we loved was the infinity pool. Food is also good. thank you kahuna for making our special day truly unforgettable! :). :)

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My family (3 adults + 2 children) and I travelled to San Juan in search of waves and surfing lessons.
We stayed at another resort BUT when we were walking on the beach we spotted their Balinese inspired restaurant and cabins/rooms. We had to check it out!

We had dinner there on our first night in San Juan and it was fantastic! I had their Bicol Express, it was so yummy.
It was just what my family needed after a long journey; sitting by the restaurant with a beautiful view of the beach and the crashing waves as your background noise, PERFECT!
The staffs were equally excellent; very friendly and professional. They showed us around the resort and showed us one of their empty rooms, it was gorgeous!
The restaurant was clean; there was a pool table and view of the swimming pool. I furniture was new and clean.
The staff even helped us with finding our private transport back to Manila!

Needless to say we at all our meals there for 3 nights & days that we were in San Juan.

What I did not like about it was, they had a fully functioning espresso machine but no one knew how to make a proper cappuccino! I was so tempted to ask them "could I make my own coffee instead?"
Oh, there's no soy milk anywhere either. So bring some UHT soy milk if travelling this far north of Manila. If you are a foreigner who needs their cereals in the morning, bring cereals too!

We'd definitely come back and stay here next time. They even had an in-house beauty and massage spa!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rhodora D
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I think it will be best if you called their land line instead of emailing them in their website, or you can also contact them thru their Facebook account. No hassle in reservation, Ms. Joy answered all my queries.

Located in SAN JUAN (just after San Fernando), Launion , A 6-7 hrs drive from Manila (unfortunately for us the road in San Fernando and Pangasinan is under construction) with 2 breaks. At around 11 A.M. The staff text me if where are we, I reply that were still in pangasinan.

It is easily to locate the place because they’re on the road side with big signage. Upon arriving we told the guard that we are book in the rest house and according to the person that I talked to it has a private parking lot, we have a slight confusion because the guard were telling us that we can just park in the common parking and the staff will just bring in our stuff, they were not clear enough to tell us that the private parking for rest house is good for one car only and if we want to go in or out it will be difficult for us so we just tell them that were going out the day that we will checkout.

One of their staff assists me to their reception. They gave me 6stubs for the breakfast good for two days ( ala carte) their breakfast start at 7-11 am ….a +points for me… a 15mins complimentary massage good for 6 person we gave this to our driver, so he avail all (1hr).

The Rest House was nice with own private pool in lanai and you can still use the common pool area (with proper swimming attire)

Kitchen: Complete with kitchen utensils (spoon, fork, plates, glass,cups,saucer even a knife and paper tissue) with free coffee, tea and 2 bottles of water per guest per day. Kitchen appliances (fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, stove, griller, rice cooker,).
Dining area: the table is good for 6 person we didn’t use it we ate at the bar table….(w/ complimentary fruits)
Living room-2 split type air cons with 1 Samsung HDLED TV and a big sofa good for barkada
2 bedroom-beds are good for 2 person, LCD TV, dresser and a common toilet outside (complete with complimentary toiletries).
Master bedroom- good for 2-3 person, a toilet with Jacuzzi, walk-in closet, LDC TV and your very own terrace overlooking the sea.
Another toilet at the ground floor with Jacuzzi….near the pool area…

The pool is clean they clean it every morning; the other rooms that they offer are like small bahay kubo…and with plants surrounding the area…so its relaxing.

The Kahuna Spa Luana- We avail the 1 hr Kahuna Signature massage...for P600 it was very relaxing and Elaine is really good, she knows what she’s doing.

Housekeeping is every morning or if you have other time that you preferred you can ask them. Linens were clean, and smell fresh……but I wish they will add extra pillows (we only have 2 pillows…eh were 4)

The restaurant was nice overlooking the beach, wood furniture, and during Fridays and Saturday night they have a live band playing….

The food was ok; the price is just like other restaurant here in Manila. We tried their combo meals (grill fish, squid, bangus, barbecue, chicken with eggplant, onions, tomato ) and rice good for I think 6 person for P1, 200, ok na for big group…nachos were just so…so…don’t try their tempura, the cheese stick mas masarap pa ung luto ng sis ko….you should try their sisig….not oily....the taste is good…their breakfast is ok…ayoko lang nung brewed coffee…parang hindi brewed…..the service is efficient and fast, you can even ask them to deliver the food in your room, One of their staff knows what to offer from their menu not based on what is expensive but base on what’s good for the customer…unfortunately I didn’t get her name.

We tried going to their beach….from the restaurant there’s a stair going to the beach, I saw drainage…I don’t know from where the water is coming but to think that it will go straight to beach. The beach front is not that clean…ang daming nagkalat na uling, crown of soft drinks or beer… (I even hurt myself don’t know if from the sea shells or other stuff) the sand is not fine/smooth, it’s like construction sand without the small and big stones in it….the wave is a little bigger that’s why sikat sila for surfers.

All in all the resort is nice…good value for the money (we pay around P22K, + service charge, + VAT for one night for the rest house only.)

The checkout is easy too…just call them 30mins prior your checkout so that they can check what still need to add to your bill.

Room Tip: try booking the rooms near the beach front...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank amgine01
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I spent the last week of my trip to the Philippines at this resort with my mother. Neither of us had heard of the resort before but the reviews that I read were all positive. Thank goodness, everything written in the reviews and depicted in the photos were accurate! It was a nice surprise.
Service: The workers (everyone from the cleaning staff, kitchen staff, the guards out front, and the maintenance staff) were all very friendly. The majority of them were eager to be of some assistance. They would refer to us by our first names and not just "ma'am/sir". I would often leave my mother at the resort and spend the majority of the day on the beach. Whenever I returned to the resort, she would be chitchatting with the workers. She said they made her feel comfortable and very much at home. Not once did I worry whenever I would leave her alone. The staff would tell us about events and sights to see in the area. After failing our attempt to hail a bus and a jeepney Arnold (one of the managers of the resort) arranged for a driver to take us where we needed to go. There was even a day where he arranged for the driver to take us on our own little tour of the surrounding townships. Filipino food often consists of several different meats mixed to make a delicious dish of sorts. There quite the variety of food on their menu. My mother enjoyed everything she ate (and we ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the resort for the 5 days we stayed there). They even had a traditional turkey dinner available for American Thanksgiving! Chef Bruce and the rest of the kitchen team made quite the effort to accommodate the fact that I do not eat meat of any sort. He would ask me if there was anything specific that I wanted to eat.
Value: I felt that it was moderately priced. You definitely get what you pay for though. In speaking with other tourists, they felt it was a little more expensive compared to the other places that were available. Mind you, they also said they were there to surf/party and just needed somewhere decent to sleep.
Sleep Quality: the mattresses are on the firmer side, the pillows are not too puffy and definitely not too flat.
Cleanliness: Kahuna is CLEAN. I swear I saw someone mopping and sweeping the floor every five minutes. Despite washing the sand off my feet, I remember feeling bad for walking on the clean clean clean floors. There was even a time that I saw someone cleaning the barstools of the pool bar. He was diving underwater and scrubbing the tiles and stools of the pool bar. If that is not thorough, I do not know what is.
Location: The resort is dead centre of the action on the beach. My mother was able to wave at me from the dinning area and the pool whenever she was there. It was also entertaining to watch the activity on the beach during meals from the dinning area.
Rooms: Water pressure was good in the showers. It was nice that there was the option to have AC or a fan running in the room (sometimes it gets too cold with AC running all night).
Spa: I felt the spa services were mediocre. The pressure releasing massage that I received felt more like someone intermittently pushing their palm on my back. In fact, I felt as if I had tweaked my back the next day. My mother enjoyed her hand and foot reflexology so much that she did it three days in a row.

All in all, the Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa is a wonderful place to stay. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for accommodations in La Union. I can't wait to come back ... see you in October 2012!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mellola
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Very cozy resort in La Union. This resort reminds me somehow of the Aquatico Beach Resort in Batangas, Layia.

This is the most prestige resort on this beach area and probably the only one with pool area. Pricing is still though affordable, more expensive than others nearby but you will get a lot with your money. I really liked the food in this place and it was also cheaper than I first thought, usually in resorts the food/drinks are expensive but I was positively surprised on this one.

I was here during Christmas time and I liked my time. There was some special arrangements during that time because of Christmas, a band and dinner buffet.

Staff is nice, made some new friends with some of the visitors there.
i would recommend this resort to all.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I was pregnant the time I went there with my friends. We went to the beach for surfing (of course minus me). Though I swam at the sea while watching them having fun, I went back to our room.

You will greatly enjoyed the room itself because it was made with local materials. It is like bahay kubo- The style are cabanas. The room is cozy, homey you would really loved to stay in your room the whole day! INside your room there are small goodies if you want but its not for free. They have imported chocolates, chips and bsicuits.

One of the main attraction here is the surfing school beside the sea and their infinity pool! They have small gardens around. it's like you are in a small paradise plus the view of the South China Sea!

They also have massage/spa services here until 8pm only.

The food is not that great but tolerable. If you wished to learn surfing this place is a must go!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
#10 of 15 in La Union Province
Marand Resort & Spa
Marand Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bauang

Been to Kahuna Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!