“Surfer's choice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Juan
San Juan Surf Resort
Singapore, Singapore
“Surfer's choice”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Been here many times since 2005 with friends to do surfing (5-6x already). The room is okay, we stayed on the second floor, and the room has queen size bed, air-con and with TV. Their breakfast is good but it is better to check the nearby food stall as it is more cheaper and good taste too.

The location is good as it is not hard to find and just in-front of the beach shore. This resort is owned by Luke Landrigan, who is very famous for surfing. And, this resort is offering a training for surfing with a very reasonable price.

All in all, we had a good stay. And if you want to go to La-Union and learn Surfing...STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed for a night one weekend, it being my second stay in this surf resort. Booked in the deluxe room, which turned out to be the newly built rooms fronting the courtyard and basketball court. The room was well designed, with good toilet and bath, even a flat screen tv. Had an issue with the sliding wooden doors though - it was very difficult to lock! It didn't make the room feel very secure, although decidedly comfortable because it was new.

Breakfast choices were great (2 eggs for each set, either with toast and jam or with any of the standard "-silogs"). Other ala carte meals were okay too, prices a bit steep provincial rates (average Php200 for a meal without drinks) but expected due to the resort's projected vibe and ambiance.

The restaurant servers whom we met were all friendly and chatty, even joking with us, but the reception staff could be a little more cheerful, I think. No real complaints though, as they accommodated our requests - added extra person to room, allowed us to use their phone to call bus stations for our return journeys to Manila.

Surf lessons were easily arranged at the 'surf tent' located on the beach down from the resort. The 'manager' allocated instructors to each of us in our group, and called on the nearby resort's instructors when they were short.

I noticed that we didn't use the student boards as shown on their website - the bright blue foam long boards. In fact none seemed to be around that time, I wonder why? Nevertheless, the lessons were fun as far as beginner's lessons go. :-)

Room Tip: Stay at one of the two new deluxe rooms facing the courtyard for a real comfortable visit. Hopefully...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Came to San Juan to surf and the San Juan Surf Resort seemed to be the best place to stay for the price. I called a day in advance to make a reservation for one of the fan rooms. When I arrived the reservation was not written down so I was forced to stay in a Standard room. The standard room was acceptable but costed a hefty 1800 php.I later talked to some other backpackers who told me they were staying in an aircon room for only 1000php. The food at the restauraunt isn't bad and I was able to catch some nice waves. Overall it was a great couple days but that was thanks to the beach. I would definitley call this resort average!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

An unplanned weekend getaway led us to San Juan, La union. After 6 -7 hours bus ride we finally reached San Juan and decided to stay in San Juan Surf Resort. We got the standard room which is good for two. It has simple amenities like A/C and cable tv, but no hot/cold shower. Room price was at 1800 php. This also includes breakfast for two.
The resort's restaurant serves good food. It may be pricey and you can have better options on other restaurants around the beach, however the quantity may justify the price.
Urbiztondo has a short beach line so it could be crowded during peak seasons and on weekends. I suggest to go here during the months of September to Febraury to enjoy the waves. Check online wave forecast as well.
Overall, San Juan Surf Resort is one of the best places to stay here in San Juan, LU.

P.S. Don't forget to have a picture with River, the surfer dog!

Room Tip: Get a reservation if you are going on a weekend or during peak season.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wigel E
Reviewed March 3, 2013

When I go to La Union alone or with friends, I often stay at cheap hotels or sometimes at the backpacker's hostel. This time, I went with my sister (it was her first time) and her boyfriend. I decided to check us in at San Juan Surf Resort since I heard that their service is good and the place is nice. It was my first time to rent in this resort so I was excited about the experience but it was an epic failure. The receptionist was not accommodating, unfriendly and not attentive. The worst part of our trip was when someone stole my cash and Ipod while we were sleeping. The thief opened our window and got our back packs, he even managed to sort out our valuables from our clothes and other unimportant things because when the other backpack was given to me when I saw him, my sister's samsung tab, my branded sunnies and other valuable things were inside except for my cash and Ipod, then my other stuff were on the floor. When I told the staff (who was the only) on duty that time (3:30 AM) he just walked slowly upstairs and started to tell other theft incidents in the resort. Around 7am, when the restaurant/ reception was opened, I approached the receptionist and told her what happened, she just took notes and I even initiated to give her my contact number so her unavailable manager can reach me ASAP. The police arrived and told us that there wasn't a sign of forced entry in our room and said that we might left our window unlocked and told the resort that they should have a cctv camera. We stayed at the 3rd floor, room 33, so how can the thief know that our window was unlocked? Meaning, he really took time trying to open each window in the resort? No one in the resort apologized for what happened, they didn't even settled anything before we left. They just told us that the management will contact us for more details/ updates. The place is nice and all but how can you enjoy such when you know that thieves are going around while you sleep, they can go room to room/ floor per floor without getting caught. The resort has three entry points-- from the highway, parking area and the beach, with no gates or security guard around. This was a very traumatic experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank chatpalmos

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Tervakoski
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We checked in, put our staff to room and we left to the beach. We came back after two hours and in that time somebody has went to the room and took from my purse third of my moneys. And I knew exactly how much where there before we left, because I just counted the moneys! Ofcourse We put all of our valuable to the safetybox and those where the moneys just for the food. When we left to the beach there where two staff guy carring a fridge and they saw as leaving so we are quite sure that they where them! We told to the reception what happened and asked that we want to speak with owner and tell to him what happened, they told that he is not there and they have been told about what happened to the manager. We asked at the next morning that has the owner came, because they told he will come next morning. Ofcouse he wasn't there. All what the reception staff said was that do not leave anything to the room, but if the safetybox will be closed 5pm and normally you can trust that nobody doesn't go to your room!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mima44
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Its a nice place..clean rooms. Great foods in their bar and resto. Problem is the internet connection. There's just a certain area where u could get a good signal. Got a good view of the beach and the surfers. Staffs are polite. There's a shop for ur beach need..bikinis, slippers, etc. Surfing instructors are friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 11 in San Juan
The Circle Hostel La Union
The Circle Hostel La Union
#3 of 11 in San Juan

Been to San Juan Surf Resort? Share your experiences!