“Awesome and very cheap surfing.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Juan
San Juan Surf Resort
preston,uk
“Awesome and very cheap surfing.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

San Juan is great for surfing, cheap 1 to 1 lessons for about 7gbp per hour. The San Juan Surf Resort has a great view of the action, nice restaurant even if the service is rather slow. Rooms were large, there was an issue with the shower on the first day but it was sorted within 30 minutes. The surf store at the resort had everything that you needed if you weren't prepared for the action.
Rooms were very basic, clean and comfortable. Air con, TV with lots of channels, fridge, quiet location.
Along the beach front are different resorts with restaurants and the best by far was Kahuna which had a good menu with lots of choice, great wine, good service and not too expensive.
Value wise you can't beat the San Juan Surf Resort, we were at the Sebay next door for one night and moved (see Sebay review). Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed December 11, 2012

SERVICE
Resort staff are accommodating and courteous especially those serving in the restaurant. I really liked them and they attend to your inquiries nicely.

LOCATION
Resort is beachfront and located just along the highway. Laoag and Abra bound buses, as well as jeepneys going to San Fernando city pass by making commute easy.

FACILITIES
There is a bar and resto located right before you go down the beach. They offer different dishes and cocktails. Price is high, as you can expect from a hotel restaurant but food is very good. I must say that their burger is a must try after hours of surfing. There are also 2 free hefty serving of breakfast included with some choices from different cuisine.

There is also a surf shop across the resto that sells surfing and swimming gears and even souvenir T-shirts.

ROOM
We stayed at one of the Bungalows, Bungalow #2. The room is air-conditioned and spacious. Although there were only four of us, I think a group of 6 people can be accommodated since there are two double beds with pull-out. Cable TV is included as well as a refrigerator which is a surprise because the receptionist told me there is none during my reservation. It's nice for me since I always want my drinking water cold.

The bed and especially the cabinets looks old (a varnishing will make it look good). The mattress is a bit thin for me but I had no trouble sleeping. Bathroom is clean with enough space to move around but they should fix the shower pressure. Towels, toothpaste, shampoo and soaps are also provided.

VALUE
We paid Php 2,560 for our room. There are four of us so it's 640/person which for me is not worth in terms of the room quality. But in terms of location and service, I'll let it pass.

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay and might go back. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Manila
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We are extremely disappointed with the way the Manager (Ms Jovy) handled our room reservation (for Dec 5 and 6, 2012) which we have booked and paid for 1 week prior. We had to travel from Manila to La Union in order to reserve a specific Deluxe Room.

When we arrived at the check-in counter at around 9:30PM of December 5, we were told that the specific Deluxe Room we reserved and paid for is still being occupied by a guest who extended his stay. We were not even given the courtesy of being informed of the changes. The Manager and her staff assumed that we will just accept any other vacant room.

Having been a loyal client of San Juan Surf Resort (i.e. our family and relatives have previously stayed at the resort, we have always recommended the resort to friends based in Manila), this is not what we expected from the Manager and staff. We would have expected that they should have respected our reservation and given us the room.

If this is how their manager and staff treat loyal clients, then they will definitely lose their trust and patronage one by one.

This vacation would have been a very important milestone in our life, because we chose the resort as our honeymoon suite. But the manager and staff ruined this vacation, just to give priority to an extended guest.

This place just lost a couple of loyal customers and we will never recommend this place to anybody anymore.

Room Tip: Always make sure to not lose your room reservation. Fight for your right to your reserved room.... t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CEds C

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My first time in La Union was for the Oakley Longboarding competition so I let my friends decide where we'd have to stay. We ended up here since their past experience with the place was a pleasant one. We took the standard A/C room good for four (somewhat on the expensive side for the typical budget backpacker) and when they showed us our 1st room we were ecstatic. Nice, clean and spacious... with a fridge. 2 queen sized beds. Hitch? The A/C wasn't working. So they transferred us to a smaller room with bunk beds instead. It was alright, A/C was still not cool enough but we didn't care anymore we just needed a place to stay for the night since our trip was all about the surf, sea and sun. The restaurant served average resort food and staff were accommodating. The great thing about San Juan Surf Resort is that the main surfing area is just a short walk away. It's not right in front of it though so that provides enough privacy, peace and quiet. They also rent out boards for their customers' convenience.

Room Tip: Our experience with the air-conditioning wasn't that great, so before booking a room make sure t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Izi_IceCream
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I just lost 2 boardshorts and my sister lost 2k cash in San Juan Surf Resort during Surf & Music Fest this weekend. I've never had to supervise house keeping before just to make sure nothing gets lost while they clean! Resto food and service is the worst and overpriced! Worst suef trip ever!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank PepeCervero
Philipsburg, St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me and my partner visited this place for a quick out of town getaway. We took the standard room,which is reasonably priced. The building is nice, room was sufficiently spaced and clean, the shower is well maintained and clean as well, (except for the occasional canal stench that comes out of the main sink, but it only bothered me once.)

Their location is very accessible, from Manila it's the first surfing resort that you'll see. Going home to manila, aircon buses from the north (laoag) are readily available since they pass by the highway were this resort is located.

The surf school has very good instructors, they make sure that you will at least be able to stand and balance yourself on the surfboard within that 1 hour surfing basics lesson. The lady at the surf shop is also very nice and accommodating.

Food is great, try their grilled tuna, danggit, and ham and egg sandwich. Also, the strawberry, and choco vanilla milkshake are a must try.

What I didn't like though was the very poor customer service on the part of reception and housekeeping. Their receptionist doesn't provide a welcoming aura. Most of their staff has this aloof attitude.

The owner of the resort is even just around walking about, looking after repairs, but no gesture of welcome, no word of thanks for choosing their resort, and not even an offer of being available to the guests if there are concerns was given.

I honestly felt unwelcome and discriminated against the foreign guests since I noticed they attended to the foreigners more frequently and politely.

Here's the worst part, there was no "thank you for staying" or "were you happy with your stay here" that I heard from the receptionist or from anyone from the resort. It was like we came, then we go.

Overall, their infrastructure is good, but as far as customer service is concerned, it's a big disappointment.

I'll be staying in a different resort on my next surfing trip in La Union.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harold L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It was our first time in a surf resort. We were taught well by the instructors. The bar was okay. The food was also average. The rooms were clean but the air-con was not working. The television also was not working. We asked them to fix it but to no avail.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 10 in San Juan
The Circle Hostel La Union
The Circle Hostel La Union
#4 of 10 in San Juan

Been to San Juan Surf Resort? Share your experiences!