L'Oasis Beach Hotel Kizimkazi
$404
Unguja Lodge(Kizimkazi)
$334
  • Breakfast included
La Madrugada Beach Resort(Makunduchi)(Great Value!)
$60
$48
  • Breakfast included
Villa Fleur de Lys(Makunduchi)(Great Value!)
$76
Agoda.com
$42
  • Breakfast included
Zanzest Beach Bungalows(Jambiani)(Great Value!)
$55
$102
$67
TripAdvisor
Karamba(Kizimkazi)
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at L'Oasis for 4 nights over Christmas 2013. The place has a lot of potential and is a great location if you want peace and quiet.

The positives-the rooms were large and comfortable! I had no problems with my room. The friend I was traveling with had a few problems with his, including no water and a fan that didn't work. After being told a number of times that it would be fixed (with no progress), he finally insisted on being moved to another room, where he had no problems.

The grounds are well maintained and the docks/bandas over the ocean are just lovely and allow easy beach/ocean access. It was great to be able to choose to swim in the ocean or in one of two pools on site. Kizimkaze is a bit remote, if your looking for a vivid nightlife or lots to do, this isn't the location for you.

The food at the hotel was good, but I felt it was overpriced for what you receive. The breakfast included in the room rate was delicious, with omelettes and pancakes (think crepes) made to order.

There were some frustrations. I had arranged through their contact email for a transfer from the ferry to the hotel. I clarified in the emails that I was referring to the Zanzibar location and would be arriving on the ferry...as far as I know, there are no ferrys in Arusha. When my friend and I arrived in Stone Town, no car met us. We tried calling the hotel, but the phone numbers on the website rang to the Arusha location.

The staff were friendly and accommodating (most seemed to be in training), although neither my friend or I were impressed by the manager. The hotel had allegedly arranged a sunset cruise for the guests on Christmas. When the announced time came around, one boat showed up, which was quickly filled by a single Swedish family. When we went to the front desk, the manager assured us that something would arranged for us...it never was. If you're going to offer something to all guests with limited seating, have a sign-up sheet available. There was a nice surprise on Christmas Eve with local music and dance.

There is someone who will go around the restaurant/bar at night to arrange tours. We booked a Spice/Stone Tour tour through him for our return trip to the ferry. The tour itself was great, although we were promised a guide for the day, who only met us in Stone Town. The taxi driver didn't have the proper stickers/insurance on his car, so we were stopped multiple times at the police checkpoints. If the organizer works through the hotel, they should ensure that the vehicles used for transport are fully licensed.

This is the dolphin beach area of Zanzibar. We did go out on a boat for a dolphin excursion, but alas, were not lucky enough to see any that day.

The power never went out, however the water was intermittent. The wifi in the restaurant and reception area was strong and only went down briefly.

Love the tinga tinga style paintings on the outside of each building. Definitely book a spice and Stone Town tour on your way to or from Kizimkaze to maximize your budget, it'll take about 1 and 15 minutes to travel between L'Oasis and Stone Town.

Got a great price on this place on Tingo, but I'm not sure if I would stay here again if the rate was any higher.

This place is apparently popular with Swedish tourists, so there is an extensive collection of books in Swedish, only about 3 in English on the shelves. Be sure to bring books or your e-reader with you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

It has a lot of potential and they need to work to improve it! Nicer deco will make wonders in the rooms and the sitting areas.Something silly but quite upseting the fact that hammocks have no mattress so too hard to lay on them so we had to lay on the ground next to the pool. Food ok but a little bit overpriced compared to the room rates.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Didn't stay here, but came here for lunch twice while staying in neighboring Karamba. L'Oasis was very quite. The first day there were no guests staying in the resort, on the second day there were 4 guests. I don't understand why it's so quite, it was a beautiful spot. Staff lovely, food fab! & views to dye for. After lunch on both days we just chilled out on their piers or under the gazebo enjoying the breeze & the views. We were welcomed to use the 2 pools too but we were happy to sit in the shade. Would definitely stay here if I come back to zanzibar!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blueesmrs
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at L'Oasis - not posh, but good value for money, friendly and clean. It was rainy season - easter 2012 - but the heavy showers are just charming. We ate fish, lobster and whatevere variety of seafood every single day. And felt so heathy :-)
Because of the pier you can go swimming independently of the tide. That is why we chose this special place. In addition we got the most charming staff and a whole Beach Hotel more or less on our own...
We went swimming with the dolphines - I thought it was some kind of a tourist trap - but we actually swam together with around 50 of them. Unbelievable.
Simple standard without a/c. But who cares when you actually watch the Indian Ocean without leaving the bed ?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have now stayed a week at the L'Oasis Hotel and I am very pleased. Comfortable large very clean rooms, fantastic view over the Indian Ocean, good food and a diversified menu and very service minded staff. The Hotel is not in the centre of all other tourist Hotels, so this is a perfect place to relax in. I have been out Deep Sea Fishing and I got a large Kingfish, I have sailed in a Dow and I made a walk-about in the village.
I will definitly return here during my next visit to Zanzibar.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo