“Comfortable, relaxing with very friendly staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Little Surfmaid Resort

The Little Surfmaid Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in La Union Province
Brisbane, Australia
“Comfortable, relaxing with very friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

My wife and I had booked to stay at The Little Surfmaid Resort before leaving our home in Qld. Australia. We were to spend 10 days in Rosario attending our son's wedding and knew we would like a few days on our own to relax before flying home. We had booked our room, which had a balcony from which to enjoy the wonderful water views, via the internet and had the most prompt replies to our numerous emails asking for info about the resort.
On arrival the same promp efficiency was carried through with any requests we had. We ate well in their own restaurant which offered a choice of culinary meals, and we took advantage of having a couple of meals served to our room.A guy called Chester was looking after the dining area and his English more than compensated for my complete lack of Filipino so we were always served with what we ordered. The mini bar was well stocked, and kept so, all at very reasonable prices. The price of our room was arranged before we left OZ and we were very happy with the tariff. They aim to please whenever, and wherever possible The manager Sie and owner, a gentleman originally from Denmark proved their zeal to oblige when due to sickness (pneumonia) my wife and I had to leave at a moments notice. They got us to San Fernando airport in time to catch a plane to Manila (only $A30 each!) where my wife was able to receive the treatment she required, enabling us to fly home as planned. I can't write highly enough about the help and consideration everyone at The Little Surfmaid Resort gave to me and my wife. I thoroughly reccommend their resort to anyone wanting clean, safe and reasonably priced accommodation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ewen_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

I have been to the Little Surfmaid three times now, and it has always been a pleasure...

The reception is always amazing. I know where to put my valuables (safety deposit box - for my jewelry and stuff). The comradely and company of the local surf community is wicked! The staff are amazingly friendly ( It helps that it is a family owned business, so any issue is THEIR business, and things gets sorted quick time. )

I have been lucky enough to have been to San Juan on many occasions over the years, and there is no place like it where staff, service, and community can feel like a home away from home. Except here, you can see the sun meet the sea ;) Awesome.

Will be back in November,
Dennis.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Quezon City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I chose to spend our honeymoon at Little Surfmaid for the following reasons:

1) my husband is a surfer and it was surfing season;
2) he is very obsessive-compulsive about cleanliness and neatness which as compared to other resorts in the vicinity, this hotel was actually good at;
3) the hotel is right smack in front of the famed "The Point"-- the best reef-break surfing spot in the whole of La Union where many a competition were already held so this saves us the long walk as compared to if we stay in any of the beach break resorts which are about 10 to 15-min walking distance to the point;
4) staff hospitality is the best in the area-- friendly and attentive people who were receptive to our needs;
5) they have a restaurant which saves us the walk if ever we get hungry and need food or refreshments right away;
6) rooms go over and beyond the usual San Juan, La Union resort fare-- it has a mini-living room, kitchenette, fridge, internet, safes and the suite we got (Prince) had the best balcony and window views!;
7) the hotel answers our emails real fast which is a real dealmaker. I am very particular about email response time as I do not have time to wait for a response when I could be looking elsewhere;
8) yes, they have a surf shop where you can buy or rent and even get surfing lessons from;
9) it's in a pefectly peaceful location for those who want to just rest and relax;
10) the area is just a couple of hours drive away from historic vigan and 1.5 hours away from scenic and cool baguio for those who want to do a little bit of countryside exploring at the side;
11) there's 24-hour security and staff to receive you even if you come in at the wee hours of the morning; and
11) arguably it's the best in the area yet.

We have definitely been coming back! Thanks Surfmaid!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ligayacroft
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights. The young kids had surf lessons everyday at 4 pm. On the last day of our stay we came back from the hour-long lesson and realized all our phones (7 in all) incl my iPhone were gone, cameras and some cash. Luckily I put my passport and $$ in the safety deposit box. There was no sign of break-in. The door was locked when we returned. When we reported we were treated horribly. Not once was an apology was given to us. They attacked us for even suspecting that the theft by someone who had access to the rooms and probably worked in the hotel (imagine that!). They were quick to blame a guest who they said looked suspicious, left no address and paid cash. How convenient the "guest" disappeared. There was no compensation of any kind offered. Not a single apology even. We called the police, but noticed that after the police were done they were down at the bar drinking and all chummy with the staff.

I could try to look past the unfortunate theft as something that can happen anywhere--unfortunate but true, but the way we were treated after this experience was absolutely deplorable.
These are some of the things the owner told us:
- they can't screen every single person who comes checks into their hotel (the hotel only has 20 rooms)
- there was a security camera pointed at the door...but it supposedly broke awhile back because of lightning! What?
- they don't monitor the hallways because sometimes politicians stay at their hotel and bring women who are not their wives (trust me that this counts as an excuse floored me too)
- and many more one more head-scratching inducing than the previous I just have to find my notes
By the way, someone mentioned this already the booking process shall we say requires a lot of patience, numerous phone calls, text messages, and emails. The price kept changing, sometimes the room became unavailable all of a sudden, the view kept changing too. And finally even after we'd paid and confirmed by email they still wouldn't confirm us until we suggested that they check their spam folder. Totally inefficient. And owner tells me they very well couldn't be expected to know that! Well why tell us to email you in the first place?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Dekemaba
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

Just came back from a two night stay at the hotel. Two couples and we each booked a suite room which had balcony facing the water and two rooms (one bedroom, one bathroom, one living room).
Plus:
Location is great for surfers - Swimming is not so great as there are rocks under water which makes swimming tough
Free WiFi Internet
Cheap minibar (real fridge) - No need to buy somewhere else
Room size more than enough
Overall room is clean (although ants in our bathroom)
Safe parking
OK Value at 3900 per suite. They also have cheaper rooms but we wanted ocean view.
Extensive surf rentals and training (see also con though)
Cons
Service really needs major improvement (basically every time we ordered something we needed to first find waiter as they preferred watching TV then taking orders, then follow up twice and remind in the end that something is missing, which was the only consistent thing about the service - We really felt bad at some point in time as it became almost so ridiculous that we gave up following through)
Service 2: My bro tried to do get a teacher for a surf lesson. Trainer could not be found in the morning and after follow up in the afternoon they gave him a board and said he should try it first alone. Saved him 400 pesos which really is cheap for a trainer but what is it good for if there is no interest in training
Restaurant value is mediocre when looked at price/quality/selection
Very loud aircon in bedroom (too hot to sleep without but if it's on you can't hear the waves)
Bathroom is always wet after shower use - A bit better construction would have avoided that

Place definitely has potential but needs service attention and training. At this price I would expect a better service and a bit more attention to details.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AxelKr
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

I spent a couple of months carefully planning a family trip to Banaue, Sagada, Baguio and La Union, with great help from Trip Advisor. The Little Surfmaid seemed to be one of the most reliable locations for this last part of our journey; new, clean, affordable, and homey.

I called, checked for availability, and was able to make a booking for the 9 of us. As a follow-up to the phone conversation, I sent a text message and an email with the details we'd discussed. Via text, I received confirmation. However, via email, I received a response indicating that there were no available rooms for the dates specified. After several text messages and emails over the following days, I was still receiving confirmation via phone and denial via email until, finally, I called the main line of the resort and spoke with somebody.

It seems that the person who had been messaging me was a trainee. The person emailing me was a regular staff. Somehow, I'd been booked for the wrong dates, despite several attempts to confirm using specific details including dates. Needless to say, I was not at all impressed with the whole process. At the end of it all, the only thing they were willing to do is give me recommendations in the area. According to them, these places were highly comparable to their resort. One resort is outrageously higher priced, and the other two are hardly the kind of quality that I would want to subject my family to. I went back to Trip Advisor and found somewhere else in another part of La Union that was more suited to our family.

It's a shame that The Little Surfmaid has turned us off to the idea of ever going there. First impressions are extremely important in the world of resorts. How one manages (or doesn't manage) these kinds of problems can certainly seal their fate. They can be sure that neither my family nor any of our friends or co-workers will ever grace their doorstep.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank Musikovida
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

It's been a year since our stay at Little Surfmaid but I truly believe that the resort is worth commending for their excellent service. It was my first roadtrip escapade with my officemates and we really wanted to go surfing with the waves in La Union. Since we really didn't know any good resort around, we literally went door to door to check out the resorts around San Juan, La Union. Our attention was caught by this newly built resort with a rather interesting name - Little Surfmaid. We were joyfully welcomed by the front desk (I forgot Ate's name already) and Kuya Omar (surfing instructor who also acts as asst. manager). The manager himself was a foreigner who was very accommodating himself. They showed us the best room in the hotel ( i think it was named Prince). The room was perfect! It had a balcony facing the beach, a mini kitchen/bar, personal TV, ref and sofa set. The room has a separate bed room with airconditioning and REALLY BIG and COMFY beds! With all that and the fair price, we decided to stay at Little Surfmaid. We hired Kuya Omar's services to teach some of us how to surf while the others (like me) opted to play with the really BIG waves (see my main photo if you wish to know how BIG I meant). The place was peaceful, not crowded and quite clean. The food service was also affordablea and great. I couldnt find anything not worth commending in our stay there. :)

• Liked — service and ambiance
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends