“Fabulous, Memorable, Amazing, Thank You Kostas & Yanni”

Sweet Memory Gourmet Apartments
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous, Memorable, Amazing, Thank You Kostas & Yanni”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed at Sweet Memory 2 Apartments, on arrival we were greeted warmly by Kostas, who took our bags and offered us a drink on the house (even though it was close to midnight), Kostas even made us delicious Spaghetti Bolognese at 1am., it was a balmy evening with the beautiful scent of flowers in the air. The cold Greek beer was amazing. This small friendly complex suited us well, we used the pool daily, Kostas made amazing cocktails (I recommend Tequila Sunrise & Sex on the Beach) also loved the Mythos beer. Kostas is an amazing Host, he makes you feel very welcome and nothing is too much trouble, we loved every single meal we ate there, on the days we went out, we waited to eat until we got back to SM2. One tiny complaint I had was that the traffic bothered me in our room at night, I vaguely mentioned this to Kostas and barely a day later Yannis(Operations Manager) came over to us by the pool and asked if we wished to move rooms to the back (poolside), we jumped at the chance, amazed by Staff wanting to make our stay so comfortable. The rooms were basic but very clean, use of a kettle and crockery. Kostas was brilliant with advice, very honest caring man, I was also impressed with Yannis's business acumen, he clearly put guests comfort and enjoyment before excessive profit, the food and drinks was very reasonably priced, returning guests get a special rate and on meeting us he thanked us for choosing to stay at SM, I told him that their good reputation went before them, trip advisor is packed with glowing reviews. Beware-Car Hire, make sure you have a proper contract, not a scribbled hand written note, we found Mikes car hire on beach front honest, trustworthy, reliable, competitive prices, flexible pick up and drop off,, 6 days for the price of 5 offer. Reliable car in good cond. The food was absolutely amazing, did I say that already oops! We will definitely be returning to SM2 next year. I cried when I left I felt so sad at having to go home, both myself and husband felt like we were leaving a dear friend behind when we said goodbye to Kostas. Thank you also to Akiss (breakfast cook) who had a welcoming smile and to the lady who cleaned our room and changed our sheets and towels. Spinalonga Island is well worth a visit and also Samaria National park and gorge but only if you are experienced walkers (ask Kostas advice on this). Agio Nickalaos port is a beautiful place and also where you get the boat to Spinalonga. A big thank you to all those who made our stay full of Sweet Memories! Sue and Tony.

We were amazed at how pristine the pool looked (we soon realised as the week progressed why! Kostas frequently scrubbed water line tiles, fished out leaves, emptied pool filters)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Indie5458

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We arrived at Sweet Memory I at midnight and were informed we would be transferred to Sweet Memory II the next day. This was passed off with an excuse that it was more appropriate for the age range of our group as SM1 had families/elderly guests and SM2 had younger guests. We booked SM1 due to it's proximity to the sea and when we asked whether SM2 would also be near the sea we were told no, SM2 had a pool and "you can't have everything". If we had wanted to stay at SM2 we would have booked to stay there, rather than being deceived into believing we would be living at SM1 when booking. The location of SM2 was not ideal, it is in the middle of a deserted street which can be dark/scary to walk in at night and we would have preferred to stay at SM1 but were not given the option.

The apartment itself was not as advertised and not pleasant to live in. We had expected 2 bedrooms but instead had 2 beds in the living area and a double bed rather than 2 twin beds in a separate room. Many basic necessities you would expect were missing: no hand soap, kitchen towels, kitchen sponge or dishwashing soap. There was no LCD TV, hair dryer or internet corner as advertised on the website. The stove was an old, rusty, primitive plug-in cooker which had a very weak flame and ended up cutting the electricity when we tried turning it on. There was no microwave, which I would have rather had than the kettle, toaster and stove. There was limited crockery (in the first apartment we stayed at there wasn't even a pan) and the cutlery was not properly cleaned when we arrived and we had to rewash everything.

The apartment was not properly cleaned, there were ants all over the kitchen and sometimes even on the beds which is just unacceptable. The shower was dirty for our entire stay and did not drain properly so it would fill up with water every time we took a shower. The shower head did not have a stand so you had to hold it up while taking a shower which proved difficult in the tiny 2x3 ft shower. Towels were meant to be changed 3x a week but they were only changed once during our 6 day stay, and only after we complained to the manager. Our toilet paper was not replaced when it ran out, and after informing the manager we were told it would only be given to us the next day and we had to go the rest of the day/night without toilet paper. We were not informed beforehand that there was no air conditioning or a safe box, and we would have to pay extra for these essentials. Wifi was spotty, working in the main area and sometimes on the balcony but not in the rooms.

The 'shuttle bus' advertised to take people back and forth between the two locations is actually just a small car. On the first day after some trouble trying to locate the shuttle as there was no one at reception, we ended up having to wait almost 2 hours for our room to be ready once arriving at SM2, wasting half of our first day. Then on our last day we checked out on time expecting our luggage to be transferred quickly to SM1 where our taxi would be picking us up later in the day. However we ended up waiting 2 hours before being told by the manager that our luggage was very safe and would be looked after at SM2 and transferred ASAP. However 6 hours later when we returned to SM2 we discovered our luggage was still out in the open and the manager had left to SM1 without watching or transferring it!

Overall we found the attitude of the managers to be rude when we had complaints, but friendly to other guests. We did not feel this was due to our own fault, as it was not our fault that the apartment had problems, however it soured the whole stay. One time I requested to borrow the phone (as there was no internet corner I expected) to confirm our taxis but the manager was unwilling to help us, and didn't seem to care that we would have no way of getting to the airport. Another time when we tried to get a shuttle at night we were offishly told there were no longer shuttles and we would have to walk. Not much later we saw another couple were given a shuttle transfer!

Despite all the problems we encountered, a positive was that we did enjoy a nice dinner on our last day at SM1. The lovely young lady organised for us to have our meal early because we had to leave before dinner started. There were 2 in-season specials we could choose from and the bread was delicious, she even gave us more when we had finished it.

I am quite shocked by the discrepancy between our experience and the reviews I had read prior to staying at this hotel. We felt misled by the information we were given beforehand, and perhaps should have better prepared our expectations. This hotel is definitely very basic, and I would only recommend it to those who only want somewhere to sleep as we found it was not a comfortable place to cook or relax in.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank lulululululul
ypapadakis, Manager at Sweet Memory Gourmet Apartments, responded to this review, October 24, 2014
I am apologizing for not responding to this particular review earlier but honestly I needed to realize how I am going to respond to this review. I will take this review paragraph paragraph and I will respond to every each one.
Clients, 4 young girls arrived at Sweet Memory 1 approximately at midnight. I personally, Yannis, took them at the reception and checked them in. Upon arrival I informed them that I have allocated an apartment for them at the ground floor. I also explained them that I allocate rooms based on when I receive the booking. The earlier the booking the higher floor people get, unless they request otherwise. I took them to their apartment and while I was taking them there, I also informed them about Sweet Memory 2 and I told them that in case they do not want to be on the ground floor, there is availability at Sweet Memory 2 and there is a 1 bedroom apartment on the first floor, pool view available. Their response is that they will stay at sweet memory 1 the first night and they will go check the other property and room in the following morning. We offered them options and they decided the next day to move to sweet memory 2. They decided for themselves. We had rooms on both properties. So girls do not blame on others when you make your own decisions. It is not fair and it will not take you any further in your life.

The apartments are advertised by pictures on either tour operator sites and at our www.sweetmemory.gr site. All pictures are the same everywhere in case to avoid misleading. As for the room type you have booked an 1 bedroom apartment for 4 people and not a 2 bedroom apartment. If that was the case I would have assign you 2 apartments instead of one. Apartments are self catering, however, we do provide you with hand soap, kitchen towels, kitchen sponge but not dishwashing soap. For hair dryer you should have asked at the reception and it will be hand it out to you. it is also stated at the booklet in your apartment. The internet corner has been removed due to the fact that we had so many problems with people using the computers and messing them up. The stoves are in very good condition ans if you have clean it every time you were cooking we would not have been forced to through it after you left. There is no microwave nowhere in self catering apartments in Greece, because there is not in our culture. We never use microwace ovens due to health hazards. Everything in the apartment was in perfect condition, based on the fact that we had bought everything brand new. However, after you left we had to disposed everything due to the fact that you are holding the award of the dirtiest apartment ever at sweet memory history.
The word spotless in all the reviews stands out this year as well as all previous years. However, as I mentioned before you had the dirtiest apartment ever, because you were messy people. I remember the maid reporting me that she cannot enter at the apartment because cloths, underwear and all sort of staff were at the floor and she wasn’t going to pick them up. Towels and sheets are changed as it has been advertised on your tour operator site and for us we do even more changes if we have to. As of the toilet paper even though we are self catering apartments we provide you with toilet every day. This is well known to every customer we had here. As for the safe and the air condition it is stated every where, web sites, tour operator sites, even on the papers from your tour operator that they are on extra charge and paid locally. As for the wifi it is also stated at all electronic means that is free of charge and it is accessible on public areas only and in some apartment balconies mostly the ones overlooking the pool area..
As for your complaints regarding my attitude and being rude. I am well known as kind and honest person. I never say no and I always trying to help at no cost. I am fair with every one and I do not discriminate people. with regards you taxes, and I have a footage from the CCTV Camera, I had you use my personal laptop at the reception in order to check and file your taxes. Not only helped you but I stopped everything I was doing that time just to provide you with access to internet. As for your complaint for the shuttle transfer that night, you girls came by Sweet Memory 1 at 1:30 in the morning asking for a transfer to sweet memory 2. I remember telling you that I am all by myself at that time and I will be able to transfer you after I close the place down. I never said no but I asked you only to wait for me. And to be honest with you, name me one apartment complex or a hotel all over the world that they do transfers at 1:30 in the morning.
Closing I would like you to contact me by email in order to send you your award of the filthiest apartment ever in our 24 year history. I would not send you an invoice of all the staff we had to replace after destroying them. Thank you so much for your review and thank you very much for giving me time to respond to your make up stories. If I was you, next time I will read reviews more careful and I will complain on the things most people complain about and not make up a falls story without good foundation or statements that can’t stand alone.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2014

It's fair to say that we really enjoyed this holiday resort and Sweet Memory Apartments comes highly recommended if you plan to visit Gouves. We stayed in Sweet Memory 2, which was about 10 minutes walk from the beach. This was a lovely complex. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the owner Yanis, who, despite the late hour, arranged for us to eat. We were not overly impressed by our apartment, but Yanis moved us the following morning. Great service. All the staff at both complexes were absolutely fabulous, helpful, informative and interested. There was a restaurant at Sweet memory 1 and the food was good quality and decent value for money. We just asked Yanis to ferry us between venues... No problem. It's a great resort, lovely people and we made some good friends whilst we were there. The atmosphere created by Yanis, his family and staff lends itself to a fun and memorable holiday. So much so, that it is the first time we have ever re-booked the same place again for a holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chriskennedy1965
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We arrived late at night and were welcomed and offered a complimentary drink, we were then checked in and shown to our apartment it was spacious , well equipped and clean.
The location is excellent, right on the seafront, the beach is pebbly, the water is crystal clear and lovely for swimming, there are sandy beaches in either direction about a 10 minute walk away.
The family at sweet memory really made our stay enjoyable, we had most of our evening meals cooked by mama and thoroughly enjoyed everything, the wine and beer are reasonably priced.
We hired a car for 5 days from Hello car rental to visit other areas in crete.
Will definately return again to sweet memory in future.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms
2 Thank dianaswim74
Stowmarket
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just got back from Sweet Memory 1 after two weeks of total relaxation. I must admit that all the reviews about this place are not exaggerated. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by Andiopi, who showed us to our room, she even carried 1 of our cases up to the top floor. The room was spacious with separate bedroom and was well decorated. We had gone for self catering but seeing Mamma Koula's breakfast we had breakfast every day at just 5 euros each, 2 eggs, bacon & sausage, plus home made bread, coffee, tea, chocolate, juice, cereals, toast, yoghurt & fruit or honey. We ate there 3 times in the evening which was really nice, a starter, main and dessert all for 10 euros each, which discounted if we had breakfast.
On arrival after being shown to our room, we came down and met Yannis and found him to be very delightful, especially when he bought us a welcome drink.
Overall I can not fault this place, Yannis, Mamma Koula and Andiopi and all family and staff were very lovely people.
If you fancy a dip in the pool Sweet Memory 2 is only a 10 minute walk away, where you will meet Costas and his staff, who again are all lovely people..
Don't miss out on the BBQ excellent value, and the food is great .

Room Tip: Room 34 has sea view
1 Thank Yorkiemick
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Fantastic welcome when we arrived at Sweet Memory 2 in Gouves, Crete. Kosta greated us warmly, gave us a drink on the house and at 1.00am made us delicious Spaghetti Bolognese, we sat near the pool (I have never seen such an immaculately clean swimming pool anywhere) Kosta cleaned it daily, the tiles were scrubbed around the water line and a robot machine cleaned the tiles on the bottom of the pool. Kosta's hospitality was second to none, nothing was too much trouble, he would make any meal for you whatever the time of day or night. The rooms were basic but spotlessly clean, the cocktails were amazing. Yannis (Manager) thankled us for choosing to spend our holiday there and said it was there job to ensure we had a memorable stay with them, which we certainly did... 100% amazing holiday, I was tearful when I said goodbye to Kosta as we left, we felt like we were leaving a friend behind, he was such a genuiune guy and made us feel so welcome in a very loyal way. We had one tiny complaint about traffic noise, we told Kosta and 2 days later Yannis came and told us we could move to a studio at the back overlooking the pool, bar and restaruant area, we were both amazed and delighted that they had taken this little criticism on board, thank you for making our holiday so perfect, and big thanks to the Cleaner who was lovely, to Akiss who served us breakfast and Eria who waited tables in the evening, you all made our holiday amazing. We will back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter or Rooms at Sweet Memory One are 500m from the beach and Mama Coulis i...
3 Thank Sue B
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

due to flight delay, we arrived late on a Saturday night ,as promised we were met at SM1, however we were then informed we would were being put into SM2.We were disappointed to not be at SM1 as we had specifically chosen this hotel for its fantastic sea front location. However, after the first day in SM2 we realised that we had an even better set up. The apartments themselves were basic, but very clean and comfortable. The pool area and bar were excellent, and the food delicious,(especially Mama's bread), and the location was only a 5 minute walk to all the shops and bars and less than 10 minutes to the seafront. But the one thing that really made our holiday was the staff. Kosta, the manager of SM2, was brilliant, with his friendly, caring attitude, always willing to help and full of plenty tips and local knowledge. We stayed for 2 of the Sunday BBQs which were great fun, and again the food was excellent. It really was a wrench to leave SM2 on our last day and will definitely return for the food and the service alone.
In Gouves itself it is not that busy, shopping is so cheap and there is plenty of choices for eating out. Our favourite was Atlantis but there are lots of great places to eat and drink and everyone works so hard to give you a great service ! Great holiday, great value for money and great people, especially Kosta!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family