We visited Amirandes between the 23rd June - 1st July, and cannot praise this hotel and every single member of staff highly enough.
Firstly, we were originally quite anxious to visit a hotel of its size, as we usually stay in properties with 100 rooms or less, and have been fortunate enough to stay in other 5 star resorts both on the island of Crete, as well as in Mykonos and Santorini. However, Amirandes surpassed every expectation we had and I can honestly say, in my opinion, that this has got to be one of the best hotels in Europe, not just architecturally, but from a customer service, facilities and location point of view.
Firstly, it is one of a select group of properties which actually looks better in real life than it does in the photos. The Greek architecture is simply stunning, and the lines of the hotel blend seamlessly into one another to create a wonderfully warm and welcoming property. The lagoon, (which is lit up at night), provides a unique platform which blends horizon and sea with land, reinforcing the effort the Grecotel chain have put in to create such an exceptional property.
The 202 rooms are spaced cleverly across the property, so it really does feel as if you are in a much smaller resort providing intimacy and tranquility at all times. There are multiple locations you can enjoy downtime on a sun-lounger, and no rush to reserve a bed before breakfast. The exceptional pool staff, Yianni and Yianni, will quite literally move heaven and earth to make sure you are comfortable, and will move loungers/umbrellas to wherever you want them. In our case, on the grass in front of the huge swimming pool facing out to sea for the duration of our stay. They bring you fresh watermelon at regular intervals, as well as fresh fruit and bottled water, which I may add, the hotel provides free of charge, something which although may seem small like a small detail, is exceptionally generous and thoughtful considering it was 30 degrees on average and they could quite easily charge 5 euros a bottle for. Christos, who manages the pool restaurant is very attentive, extremely friendly and no request is too big for he and his team.
Every single member of staff we met had no hesitation in greeting you with a smile and conversation, and it is a testimony to the exemplary work of manager Vassilis Minadakis for creating such a wonderfully happy, hard working and dynamic team. All the staff seem genuinely happy to be working at such a wonderful place which of course makes a huge difference to the quality of stay for the guests, and after engaging in numerous conversations with the manager, it is easy to see why.
Mr Minadakis is always available to speak to, and is genuinely welcoming to any suggestion/thought/praise you have for the hotel, and goes out of his way without ever being intrusive to make sure that your needs are satisfied. I think what impressed us so much was the way that they go out of their way, but discreetly, to enhance your stay in any way they can. They even have a member of staff at their airport to help you through check in and security, another small, but extremely professional detail.
The rooms are perfectly decorated, spacious and light, the beds super comfortable and I believe 80% of rooms have a sea view. There is a twice daily turndown, and your room is always left spotlessly clean with a temperature card, water and some chocolates. The breakfast is stunning, you will need to see it to believe it, and there are at least 5 chefs visibly creating all that is laid out for the guests. The food across the 6 restaurants is excellent, and varied, from sushi to Italian to local Cretan food, with all ingredients coming from their organic farm a few miles away. You will never have to leave the hotel for the duration of your stay if you don't want!
We were surprised to read previous reviews regarding the ambience of the hotel guests, some saying that a majority of the Russian guests have appeared rude and not hesitant to show their cash, but we didn't experience any such behaviour, and found mostly everyone to be polite and willing to engage with other guests and hotel staff, creating a warm, friendly and hospitable atmosphere.
The spa treatments are wonderful, and they have a traditional elixir spa as well as an ayurveda spa for you to choose from, both offering lovely and invigorating treatments.
We don't often stay at hotels more than once, however, we would have absolutely no reservation in visiting here again and again and enjoying everything this spectacular hotel has to offer year after year!
Keep up the great work!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amirandes 5 star hotel in Crete, is a sparkling exclusive resort on the coast of east Crete. Themed around the lagoons that swirl through its centre, the luxury hotel in Crete covers a 70,000 sq m beachfront estate comprising of eight restaurants, sandy beaches, Elixir Spa with authentic Ayurveda treatments, outdoor Olympic-size seawater pool, over 60 private pools and extensive children's facilities. The sophisticated guestrooms suites and villas feature indulgent details such as private gyms, home cinema and state-of-the-art bathrooms with colour-therapy and aromatherapy Jacuzzi bathtubs. Refined and considerate service mirrors the Resort's meticulous attention to detail and utmost respect for the privacy of its guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grecotel Amirandes Hotel Gouves
- Grecotel Amirandes Amnissos
- Grecotel Amirandes Hotel Amnissos
- Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort Kato Gouves, Crete