“Trully excellent hotel”

Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Trully excellent hotel”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have to say that my time in Diogenis Palace was deffinitelly unforgetable. I've never met so polite and helpful staff who made me feel comfortable inevery minute of a day. Two girls and boy from the restaurant was working very hard and always smiling, tables were clean, food tasty and diversified. The same were girls from the bar, always with the smile on their faces. I want to thank also the chef Ilias- he was meeting turists and wanted to give the best meals.
Swimming pool was clean, in fact cleaning service made a good job, all the hotel was clean. I can trully recomed Diogenis Palace to couples, families with small children. For everybody.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tom G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Excellent hotel!
Have a good attitude of the hotel.
The food is very delicius.
The hotel is close to the sea.
We here many happy and enjoyed every minute.
Thank you for the warm hotel!!
All employees are very nice.
It׳s a place i want to return to it the next times.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Doron_avrmov
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went to crete for easter holidays. I booked diogenis hotel for 4 days. The welcome was very warm. The showed us our room that was clean, big with double comfortable bed. A bottle of red wine and red eggs was left for us in the room as a welcome drink from the management of the hotel due to the easter holidays.
Thankfully the weather was good so we went to the pool. It's very big and clean. The food was traditional greek and cretan.
Saturday night they took us to Saint Konstantinos and after at the hotel theyy had a greek soup called magiritsa.
The best part of my vacation was Sunday. The hotel had arrange for all ofus a traditional cretan celcelebration.
Dancers, music, lamps and free wine for all.
I want to thank Diogenis hotel for the hospitality. Its the place I will book for my summer vacation also.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Nicola_Dorian
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Diogenis was a hotel change 3 days before we left.We were a bit unsure but looked a bit better than what we booked.On the beach and a short stroll to better sandy beaches.Clean apartment,nice big pool and generally good hotel.We were the only Brits there the rest were Russian.They are very demanding and eat tons of food and gallons of booze,and I wondered why they said to us we like the Brit's.I thought I over indulged on all inc but was small fry to them.There was an avge age of 25 ish,so they were up dancing most nights to the disco beats.The music is played during the day which is a pain as I ''dont want to PUT YOUR HANDS UP'',you will get to know that song word perfect!Food was very much greek.Lots of salad and fetta cheese ,stews,dolmades,and the greek versions of quiche.Not much goes to waste all the vedge end up being ingrediants of next days quiche!Microwave used quite a bit as it is a bit cold.Drink was fine,good draft beer and ok'ish red/white wine.Glasses were whatever was clean so we had wine in a cup one night.Some will hate it,we didnt and would go again and I never usually say that.Perfect weather so that helped.No entertainment apart from 1 night of greek dancers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Paul S
March, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Being a solo traveller, I booked three different hotels for a ten day stay on Crete during May 2012. This was the first hotel I stayed at for three days. The plan was to use airport transfers to/from Gouves and then hire a car for seven days in Gouves. This was also not the original hotel I booked but three days before leaving the uk, I was informed by the agent that the hotel I had booked was not yet ready for the season and so I was offered this hotel instead.

Having stayed previous in Gouves, I was aleady aware of where in Gouves the hotel was situated which suited me just fine, opposite the sandy beach and very near the nature reserve that I had already planned to visit (avid birdwatcher!).

So, what did I expect and what did I get?

The hotel had recently been upgraded from 3stars to 4star. What people have to remember is a 4st hotel in Greece would not be as comparable to a 4st hotel in the UK. I was welcomed at reception and then shown to my room, which was on the ground floor but away from the pool area which suited me just fine. Outside the room their was a table & chairs solely for my use. Inside the room, it was cool. There was a double bed, coffee table, sofa, bedside cabinets and a dressing table. Also a small kitchenette with fridge, passed which was the bathroom. It was clean and spacious enough. The bed was also very comfortable. For me, it was ideal. And so off to the bar I went.

At first, the barman thought I was Russian and being on all-inclusive, out came the small glases. On speaking to other Brits, it would seem we were all booked for the Galini Hotel which was closed, and we all agreed that first impressions of this hotel were good. Later, when the barman realised I was not Russian, the glasses became bigger!

The food at the hotel was fine and the staff worked exceptionally hard, replenishing food as dishes became exhausted. I have read comment that people were eating the same food every day. i did not find this but then again, I came to eat greek food, not pizza and chips, and the greek food was different each day. The salad and feta cheese was to die for.

I met some really lovely Ukrainian people in the bar and lounge in the evenings, who you should not tarnish with the same brush as Russians, as once you get to know them, do not like the Russians either.

The swimming pool also looked clean and was of a decent size, although I did not personally use it.

I only had one problem which was when the curtain pole in my room collapsed. On reporting this to reception, the matter was promptly fixed.

My three days at the Diogenis Palace was very enjoyable until the last evening when an influx of Russians arrived. Gladly the next morning, I was heading down to the south of the island for my next four days on the beautiful island of Kriti.

In summary, considering how little I paid, I cannot fault the hotel. Also, not all Russians are rude, loud, drunken slobs. Maybe you need to try smiling at them.

Thank you to all the staff at Diogenis Palace for a lovely stay. I will be returning to Crete in May 2013, so maybe you will see me again.

Kevin Baker
Cambridgeshire, UK

Room Tip: This depends on what you want. i was quite happy in a side room which was very quite.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Amazoniancha01
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was reading the reviews here before deciding to go here. I really do not know who could enjoy to stay here!
First of all, you do not know who works here, they do not have uniforms or some marks. They are all Russians or Ukraine, using only Russian to communicate. The hotel is occupied with Russians, who think they are alone there, slamming the doors in 4 in the morning, shouting... They make Brits look fine guests! The food is the same for lunch and dinner, every day! And you have to serve your self and take the plates when you finish eating!
The room is not clean at all, and the towels are changed every 2 days or 3. If you are lucky, they will give you ok room. We got the one below the pool, smelly and dark. Of course we didn't want it so we became unwanted guests! The little manager could't wait for us to go home! And he was direct! All in all, I dislike it!
Being just 8 km from the airport means you see and hear the plane landing for every 10 min or less!
And for all of you from Balkans - hardly ever will you get a room in hotel because they are saving them for the Russians. They will say - Yes we see you've paid for the room but the hotel is over booked, and give you studio apartment in some jungle with 1,5 star!

Not a 4 star hotel, not even a 3!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor away from others
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dearana
UK
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Despite reading other peoples reviews me and my friend stayed here at the 4* Diogenis Palace Hotel and found no problems with it what so ever, we have been to this hotel a few months before therefore have stayed in 2 different rooms, 1 being a double spacious room with hot shower, air conditioning, television, fridge etc. The other room was a family room with 2 bedrooms again equipped with the same essentials as the dbl room. The pool area always tidy and the pool was clean everyday.

Food was quite repetitive but very nice, hot and well cooked, bit more of a variety compared to 4* hotels we have stayed in in Gouves. Receptionist very pleasant and helpful, kitchen/bar staff very helpful. Crazy Beach Bar, well it says it all in the name really, belongs to the hotel underneath, crazy staff but ever so friendly, Chris very good at shaking you up a cocktail or 3, Dj Giannis playing most nights with the latest music.

Ideal for couples, families and friends who wish to holiday together.

Overall - Highly recommended :-)

Room Tip: Family room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#66 of 95 in Agios Nikolaos
Horizon Beach Hotel
Horizon Beach Hotel
#25 of 52 in Stalis

Been to Diogenis Blue Palace? Share your experiences!