Kalia Beach Hotel
Lavris Hotels & Spa(Kato Gouves)
$95
$76
$290
$281
$117
$164
$134
  • Breakfast included
Sweet Memory Apartments(Kato Gouves)(Great Value!)
$28
  • Beachfront
Hara Ilios Hotel(Kato Gouves)(Great Value!)
$98
$91
HotelQuickly
  • Breakfast included
The Island Hotel(Kato Gouves)
  • Pool
St. Constantin Hotel(Kato Gouves)
Cosmi Apartments(Kato Gouves)
  • Pool
All reviewsevery other daygreat holidayan ice creambooked our holidayquiet areafor making our holidayoverlooking the seapizza
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have waited a long time to place this revue, as I am at odds with my travel agent and jet 2who sold me the so called all inclusive holiday But as I am getting no where I thought a few truths might save some one a lot of money firstly I must say that the accommodation grounds and staff were first class, but this is where the holiday advertised in my opinion stops,, my wife and I who were both 69 at the time and not in good health, decided to book this holiday after believing what we read in the brochure,(MISTAKE) the picture Shows a two story building next to the pool, this is not the hotel but the reception it is actually a complex of buildings, the farthest awayu one being 1/3 of a mile round trip to the dining room( none of this is the brochure I booked the holiday from,) I booked a all inclusive holiday only to find it was not all inclusive at all, you had to buy drinking water as water was only available at the bar when open or with meals even toast sausage bacon etc had to be purchased separately alcoholic drinks were limited to a small choice of local made hooch(whiskey gin)not included but plenty ful if paid for (the brochure has now been amended to point this out after my complaint), the brochure I had, said snacks were available daily, another untruth they appeared only once in the form of cold cheese pasties left over from lunch which happened to coincide with a visit from the islands tourist board, the brochure states that the hotel is next to and across the road from the beach this is an absolute fabrication as next to the hotel on one side is another hotel and on the other is a road with housing, directly across the road is a Large car park belonging to the hotel next door, the brochure also said it was close to the village centre if you call a fifteen minute walk close I don't, were un lucky enough to be accommodated in the building farthest away from the reception up three flights of stairs no lift or porterage over looking a rubbish dump at one side and a builders yard and dog breeder on the front right not the best place for two people with health problems we asked to be moved but our request was refused , I have noticed in all of the revues no one has mention the almost constant air craft noise( no mention of the in my brochure or the amended one either) the hotel is directly under the flight path for Heraklion air port which is only a couple of miles away and at peak times the noise is horrendous even through the night the planes are coming and going , passenger, cargo,&military. Making a nights sleep impossible in my opinion the advert in the brochure is a fabrication of untruths and down right lies, if you don't believe me check the take off and landings at Heraklion air port for sept 2011, check google for the position of the hotel and if you have any problems getting about don't even think about going there,

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank selwynontour
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just got back from our 2 weeks holiday at Kalia. (21 and 22 year old) We booked our holiday with Jet2 but before we did we read the reviews. I started to feel a bit anxious as some of the reviews were rather bad. Fact, we didn't pay too much so I was prepared not to expect a lot.
We went there 6-20 of August this year.
We arrived to Herkalion and the bus took us to the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised with the kind service staff and the rooms. They are very basic indeed but they are clean. Unlike some reviews I read on here we did NOT have any insects, cockroaches or what so ever.
The rooms were very clean. The bathroom was fairly small but we went for a holiday to visit places and not to stay in the room so it didn't really matter.
Like I already said, the staff memebers were very nice and helpful. We didn't know where abouts were some attractions and they would advise us and give us directions.
We are not a drinking type of couple so we weren't fussed about the drinks that were included in all inclusive even though we were all inclusive.
We mostly drank water or coke.
And yes if you wanted to have an air con you had to pay 7Euro per night but we didn't bother and we survived. It was hot but we weren't dying and slept well.
However, we did pay for the safe where we wanted to kept our important documents and other stuff. It is 2 Euro per night so we paid 28 Euro for the whole stay and we knew our things were safe.
The food...I really don't understand some people's complaints. We were rather happy with what we were served. Maybe there wasn't a massive choice but it was always cooked fresh and warm. I was really happy with the choice we got. There was a lot of greek salad etc. but for god's sake if you go on a holiday expecting to have a steak or bacon on eggs you should just stay in UK, simple. If you plan to go on holiday abroad be prepared to try local cuisine. After all that's what real holiday is about, isn't it? Try and see what locals eat and how they spend time, learn about the culture.
However, because the staff memeber were smart enough and knew that some Brits would moan cos there was no eggs and bacon for the breakfast you had a choice of having it.
I,myself, didn't have it all because I don't see the point of having something I can have at home. I'd rather try something new.
Dinner and lunch was very good too. I fell in love with cooked peas. You can taste how fresh they are and not from a tin. Amazing.
And Helen's purée was just the best thing ever!!!
The swimming pool was a good enough size and clean. The all inclusive runs from 11am-10.30pm so this is the only thing i can complain about as you lose 30minute of the all inclusive and that's a lot but you can live with that.
There's a lot of small markets where you can get bottled water or other drinks.
In the room you get a small undercounter fridge so you can keep some things in it which we found very useful.
We had room number 215 and it was above the entrance to the hotel (the main building).
The only thing I would advise is to go for a room on the 1st floor as there is a lot of homeless cats and dogs and I saw myself that the cats would go to the rooms that are on the ground floor.
The beach was lovely. Especially the one with Smile cafe.
You get 2 beds and umbrella for 6 Euros (same for the other beds) but with Smile you get a bucket full of ice with a bottle of water. Also the guy that looks after it brings watermelons for the people at the beach etc. It 's a great way to spend the day.

Either way, we really enjoyed our stay at Kalia and it was well worth it for the price we paid and we would definitely go back.
We do recommend this hotel!!!
Thanks to all the memebers of staff for your help and for making our holiday unforgetable :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aleksandra D
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked a weeks all inclusive for myself and my two teenage children (13 and 15). We were looking for a quiet, chilled out holiday and the Kalia Beach Hotel certainly provided what we were after. Rooms were basic, well cleaned and more than sufficient for what they were used for. Maid service every other day with towels changed. Food was varied and tasty - always something for everyone. The bar facilities were great and unlike some other people who were here previously the drinks were definitely not watered down. All of the staff were great, very helpful and they couldn't do enough for us during our stay. The surrounding area provides access to bars and shops and beaches. The bus stop for the main route to Heraklion or Malia was only a ten minute walk from the hotel and it was easy to travel on public transport for the days out that we had. Overall excellent value for the money paid for our weeks stay. We would definitely return to Crete and the Kalia Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 414 - this is the newest block at the top end of the hotel grounds. Very quiet and away from the pool and bar but only a minutes walk from everything.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Peter Y
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just back from here and we had a great time - family of four (two mid teens). We try to go to small hotels which are not "chain hotels" (those which could be anywhere amd are the same whereever)> We have gone island hopping from Athens and this was typical of the hotels we encountered. Food was variable - mainly very good and we always had enough.

Hotel position great just off of a great beach for body boarding or a quiet area to snorkel in. Staff were great not only knowing what you drank with each meal but remembering names.

IF other revies here put you off or you wold rather go to a sterile hotel then look elsewhere but if you want a taste ofn greece it is worth a go (If you get fed up of the food - spend an evening at Spyros - see my review!)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BobP57
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just recently returned from a 10 day stay at Kalia Beach Hotel. Couldn't fault it.
Great food, staff superb, friendly. Just great !!
Can't believe some of the reviews on here, utterly ridiculous.
Yes rooms are basic, but are very clean. If you want a mint on your pillow and your toilet paper folded into an arrow then maybe its not for you.
Would stay again without hesitation.
Highly Recommended. Myself and my 12 year old son had one of the best holidays ever !!
Gouves is a lovely place and everything is walking distance.

Dynamic Duo from the U.K.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family