“Great hotel, Super service!!”
Review of Despo

Despo
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We arrived at the despo at 4am so couldn't see much when we first got there. We were in a superior room on the ground level which was lovely and quiet. I can't comment on the older rooms and dungeon rooms but I can say I was glad we had a superior room. It was basic but clean, and had everything we needed! The night porter was helpful which after reading other peoples reviews we worried about but definately don't believe all you read on here. I had no complaints about anything. The staff were all very helpful, the food was lovely and the chef did a brilliant job, the meals were always lovely- plenty of choice, breakfast is a bit limited but every day there were toast, cake, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, salad and eggs. As for lunch and dinners there was always a vegetable dish, a different sort of potato or rice, one or two meat dishes and often soup that the chef serves you with great presentation, and that is before you go on to the salads and pasta dishes and the breads. And there is a different pudding and selection of fruits which are lovely and fresh. The bar and waiting staff are also very friendly. The pool is surprisingly big for such a small place and was very clean. The gardens were amazing! Overall we had an amazing holiday in the despo and gouves. Crete is a beautiful island, the weather is gorgeous, we want to go back already! One pointer is use the free mini bus that runs each day from the hotel down to the beach as it isn't a really long walk but in the heat it can be hard work. Also the aquarium is well worth a visit whilst in gouves!
We did buy the air conditioning half way through our holiday which is expensive but well worth it in the 40 degree heat. We also paid for the safe which was cheap at 2 euros a day. For a small family run hotel we couldn't have asked for anything more.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the new block, the superior rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tasha-C-25
There are newer reviews for Despo

Reviewed July 31, 2013

this was our first time to crete and will not be our last the hotel is lillte small and nothing was to much trouble for the staff maria was the loveliest of receplionists .the food was served by the chef and very nice it was they all make you feel very welcome the hotel is very clean but could do with a few more sunbeds . you can get a bus to heraklion or hersonisos they have some lovely shop . despo as free wifi if you are looking for a relaxed place I would recommend this hotel and its great value for money .

3  Thank annbates_11
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived late around 11.30 at night to be greeted by the friendly smile of Maria. After being shown to our room we went to the bar for a well earned drink, where George made us feel instantly welcome. This set the pattern for the week. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean and the food was good. The hotel is small and the rooms are basic so if you are looking for 5 star then no this hotel is not for you, but if you are looking for a friendly relaxed atmosphere then I definitely recommend Despo it is great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
5  Thank Glyniss W
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Reading some of the poor reviews I wonder just what people want for their money. We arrived very late at night and yet were warmly greeted by very friendly reception staff, Maria and Katarina and barman, George who made us feel immediately welcome despite working very long hours seven days a week. Our room was small but we don't go away to stay in our room so made the most of it. The chef works hard and takes a pride in his food. There are cats around as in most places in Greece but they will leave you alone if you don't encourage them. We found treating the staff as human beings rather than personal servants ensured that we enjoyed their company and we were treated well as a result.

Room Tip: Those not in the basement
6  Thank fromme8
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel like others has pros and cons but overall we got what we paid for
I requested a room in the newer block through Jet 2holidays as I couldn't find a website for them and fair enough we were given one. I would have hated to have been in one of the "dungeons"
The food was adequate but limited, again this is 3 star not 5 star so to be expected
I wouldn't like to go in the height of the season as there certainly would not be enough beds for everyone
I think they need to review their all inclusive drinks policy. Only wine, lager ouzo, raki, brandy and soft drinks . The brandy was AWFUL, I tried it with ice, coke , sprite, orange but it still tasted gross. George the barman was fine at first but got a bit overbearing with his insistence on bringing your glasses back to the bar. Mano was great as were the reception staff and the chef was lovely
The grounds were so well maintained full marks to the gardeners and their topiary skills
The reception staff were fine too.
As my review title says it was fine for a 3 star

3  Thank minesabrandy
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The gardener is worth his weight in gold, beautiful gardens!
Do not believe any of the good reviews. Those people must have very low standard of food and cleanliness at home. Cats roaming all over the dining area and children's play area used as litter tray. We paid £563.00 for hotel on an AI basis (flights separate). We got there late in the evening and we too were taken to a basement room (later referred to as the dungeon by barman George). The porter let me carry my own case down all the stairs as the lift is no longer in use! We paid for pizza a beer and a glass of wine as AI stopped at 10:30 pm. Barman George told us to see receptionist in the morning too get moved out of the dungeon. We contacted Katrina who gave us a key to 'a superior room', her description not mine. It was acceptable but when we returned to reception were told we needed to pay £200 euros for the remaining 13 nights. We paid this to get out of the dungeon where the beds were concrete slabs and the doors to concrete terrace did not close properly. They charge for air con and the safe too! The stairwells have lighting but the lights were only on one evening during our 14 night stay, health and safety is not a priority. While I understand the poolside bar has to serve drinks in plastic I found the cleanliness of them to be substandard. I complained to the barman George on numerous occasions after developing mouth ulcers. I asked for a proper clean glass and was told you could only get that if you paid for drinks!!!!! On one occasion he was actually quite aggressive. He was continually shouting at people to return empty glasses as there was no staff to collect them. People were also asked to empty their ashtrays. I bought my husband and I glasses of our own. Food was limited. You need a blender to get through the meat. I am not a fussy eater but as the standard wasso low we ate out 12 days out of 14. The cats put me off eating in the hotel especially with the litter tray/play ground being in full view if the restaurant. With regards to the cleanliness, on entering our 2nd room balcony there were spillage stains on the floor, they remained there for the remainder of the holiday. I knocked over a glass from bedside table one evening and did my best to clear it up. Days later I found more glass so clearly the floor was never cleaned properly. The bath was only only ever rinsed and a layer of scum developed. The sheets were changed twice during the 2 weeks and on those days the beds were made up. On the other days the sheets and bedspread were just thrown on any way....when we returned to our room the bed looked as though people had been rolling around in it!!!!!!!!!!!
We don't mind walking so the distance to the beach was not a problem for us but it may be for elderly or infirm. The main road did not bother us at all but again may be a problem for elderly, infirm or children.

On a brighter note, as we spent most days out of the hotel using the fantastic bus service we did have a wonderful holiday. Bus stop 15 on the same side of the Despo will take you to Hersonnisis, Stalida and much more. The stop on the other side will take you to the capital, Herakilon , well worth a visit. We will definitely return to Crete but would NEVER stay at the Despo(rado)!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay there, the Adonis apartments at the other side of the road would be better and The Islan...
8  Thank BrendaJuly2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked this hotel online, after reading a lot of good reviews on here... but we arrived at 5am and they gave us the key to our room, It was down in the basement and instead of a balcony we got a concrete slab surrounded by more concrete.... and the room looked like it was for an 18th century monk. 2 SINGLE BEDS cemented to the floor when we are a couple who booked a double room!! No air con either and it was plain and small with a lantern...... So the next morning whilst trying to change room they said they had no other rooms so your'l have to change hotels. So we moved to their sister hotel the Kalia Beach hotel (this is much better I would stay here it's right on the beach in a beautiful location where as despo is a 10/15 minute walk from the beach!) Room quality was much better in our new hotel too. I wouldn't recommend staying here. put your hundreds of pounds into a better hotel!!!

Room Tip: not basement...
3  Thank N G