“Wouldn't go back!”

Despo Hotel
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Gouves
“Wouldn't go back!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived feeling quite positive about this place but our hopes were soon dashed! This hotel is very misleading more 2 star then 3, we arrived about midnight and were under the impression that it was all inclusive which meant we should have been able to get a drink and some food but no we were told that all inclusive ends at 10:30 so although we had been traveling all day had to go and pay for a pizza and a beer! Then went up to our room which was very basic ok but had better and the shower was rubbish, rooms were mostly kept clean but it looked as though sometimes the cleaning was a bit sloppy! We then asked about the aircon and safe which in other hotels is usually free and were told that it was cost us over 100euros which I thought was ridiculous! The food was poor Luke warm and repeitive you better be a fan of pork! Crete was a lovely place and made some lovely friends at the hotel which made our stay much better, Maria and George were great and,so were the kitchen staff but I'm afraid I can't say that about the rest, the night porter at reception was an arrogant rude and very unhelpful idiot my expensive jacket went missing from our room on the last night and I asked him for advice and help but it only turned into an argument and spoke to me like a child, he should not be working in a hotel with that attitude! We went to benidorm in march and only paid 100 extra and got treated like absloute kings, so my advice keep looking don't go here its not worth the money even tho it was quite cheap you will be able to find a better hotel!

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank skaldocaroo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff are very friendly, food was awful with breakfast being the same every day. All inclusive drinks where very poor. Brandy, raki and vodka. Bar across the road was very nice, and drinks were much better their. Ate out most nights. Gouves has a lot of lovely tavernas. I recommend the island restaurant on the beach. Very nice people and food. As the food was so poor the cheap holiday was a false economy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bobby1970s
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Spent 10days in hotel despo cost £350 each for me and my partner, staff were very good, reception staff were exceptional, food was ok breakfast was a bit of a let down eggs again I will be bound! The hotel grounds were excellent they were kept very nice! The biggest disappointment was the all inclusive drinks the only spirits available in the all inclusive was brandy ouzo and raki, there was wine and beer available but not great, barman clearly has mood swings due to gambling problem and clearly has his own favourites as some people got served after time but didn't have to pay like the rest of us, the beach is a 10 minute walk away across a main road, excellent beach with amazing sea, weather was fantastic for October, met some lovely people on our holiday Graham and Kath with there bread cakes lol and we even had a lovely STALKER called Zowie overall if you want a cheap get away and are going to spend no more than £300 a week and just want to chill then go for it, if it cost any more than that don't go!

Room Tip: There are 4 rooms with pool and sea view (room 302) lovely view but very bad road noise all threw th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tammie0157

Travelers are raving about these Gouves hotels

Congleton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just returned from Hotel Despo in Gouves Crete, to say the place is all inclusive is a bit of a joke,hardly any drinks are included,there were no snacks (apart from ice cream and curled up sandwiches 3-6pm) no entertainment whatsoever not even a barbecue one night,if you did not eat pork you were a bit stumped most meal times,as there was not alot of choice available at all, menu of food also very repetitive and what was not used at night was on the cold salad bar the next day. There are a few good points all the hotel staff were pleasant and very helpful,maids were nice and the gardener deserves a medal for the way he kept the gardens. My rep also pointed out there had been a least a further 10 complaints whilst i was there,which to me is not good going whatsoever. Thank god the Rainbow Bar was across the road for superb food and more choice of drink, which Yes i did have to pay for but i would have had to pay at the hotel and 1 think they'd had enough of my money for something that clearly was not all inclusive. In my mind i think the hotel would be better sticking to half/full board because thats all it cut out to be. THE STALKER

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have just returned from a lovely week in Despo Gouves.

Before going I had read some mixed reviews but on the whole I found that from my experience of other Greek hotel Despo was above average for the price.

firstly the staff were warm and friendly and very helpful. They spoke excellent English (as my Greek is pitiful) but did encourage you if you tried a bit. I was always greeted with a smile and helped promptly (even though they must of got fed up of my questions).

My first impression was of arriving at 5 to 9pm and being told to go straight to dinner and sort the checking in after - I was very hungry after the journey and was hoping there would be some food, so finding a full meal on offer (they even came to check if I wanted any more before clearing away the serving area).

I wasn't upset about the lack of bacon and eggs - as I went to Greece to eat Greek food.
Admittedly the yellow cheese is rather bland - but the feta was amazing and the scrambled eggs (every other day from boiled) were great too.

Lunch and Dinner both consisted of Salad, more Feta (yum) and at least 2 hot options, although the chef who served was quite happy to give a (big) bit of everything. Pudding was fruit (great watermelon) and something less healthy - lots were custard based but during my week I had both baklava and the shredded wheat one (so that was me happy).

As I said I wanted to eat the local style food - but I think most people could have found something they liked and most people I spoke to said the same.

As it was AI you did get given a table for the week but this was actually quite nice as I had gone alone but ended up chatting to the people on the neighbouring tables and it was clear most people had got to know the other people. There was a mixture of nationalities as well which was nice.

The drinks were nice - I made a point of trying them all. Red, white and rose wine (better in the restaurant as in the bar they are on the side and so not as chilled), Beer was fine but I’m not really one for larger. The ouzo and raki are fun to try but my best find was Brandy and Lemon. Being more of a Bacardi and Coke girl I hesitantly asked for Brandy and Coke but was convinced by the barman to try it with the cloudy lemonade (and found surprisingly nice and continued so for the rest of the week). I also bought one of their cocktails and found that great too. My main issue was they didn't have diet coke (but I found some in the local supermarkets and kept it in my room).

one other plus point to the AI was despite all the signs which say it ends at 1200 when you check out they actually said we could continue until the time we checked in (i.e. my first meal was dinner so I could have up to lunch on the last day). There is also male and female courtesy rooms downstairs with toilets and a shower which you can use on your last day and a luggage room.

Room
I had room 313 which is single room in the main (old bit) of the hotel. I found plenty of furniture, comfy bed (although I should have asked for an extra pillow) and lots of storage - I’d packed way to much stuff for a week. The water pressure was a big surprise and the shower had a base tray and shower curtain (both novel for Greece). My balcony was huge as I was in the corner and due to the shutters which I kept closed when out I found the room was always nice and cool without air con (my room didn't have it but next door had theirs on and it was quite loud during the night.

Because the drinks stopped being free at 10:30 it was never noisy at night.

Road
the hotel is slightly on the edge of the resort but very near to the bus stop to both Heraklion and Hersonissi which are both nice for a day out (i had the packed lunch and which was cold meat and cheese and bread and bit of salad - which left room for an ice cream or cake when out). The road is the main national road and traffic does come very fast but it is only one lane each way and a gap will come if you wait a minute. (there are zebra crossings if you walk in either direction from the hotel - but i still don't know how they help as car don't stop at them) they also do generally try not to run you over and i didn't see any close calls either.

Cats
mostly the cats stayed out of the dining room (it was asked not to feed them in the restaurant) but outside they were a source of entertainment to most. Generally they seem well fed and healthy, there was water put out for they (presumable by the staff and I would not have been surprised if they weren't feeding them too). After most meals guests had taken a piece of meat of cheese out to them especially the very small kittens, however I did find if you ignored them they left you alone.

My advice to anyone considering Despo would be to think about what is important to you, if you like English food and drinks and somewhere just like home but a bit warmer then this may not suit you However if you want to go to experience a different country and the warm hospitality it offers then book now.

Room Tip: The corridor downstairs does look quite dark so aim for a higher room if possible - you'll also...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank kazarooony
Doncaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Despo hotel is excellent value with really good quality food home cooked daily.
The rooms are basic more then adequate for the price and all the staff are exceedingly helpful and welcoming. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank LarryandJenny
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My brother and I stayed 21/09/12-05/10/12. We had booked a twin room, but on going to the room found it to be a triple basement room with just a sheet for the double bed. This was not a problem, staff provided another sheet for the single bed without a fuss. Room was basic, no fridge, no tv (not that that bothered us, but a fridge would have been nice as we ended up drinking warm water all the time). Yes, beds were on a concrete base, but this did not make them uncomfortable and made it easier for the cleaners, who were very friendly. In fact, all the staff were very warm and friendly. Limited storage space in bedroom and the furniture was very old, but we did not go on holiday to spend time in the room. The shower room flooded at times and the clips for the shower curtain were broken, but it did not prove to be too much of a problem. We enjoyed the food, although a little repetitive at times and the wine was acceptable. I only drank white and I did not have a problem with it except on a couple of occasions when it was quite acidic, but generally ok. Staff were very helpful and worked hard. George in the bar endeavoured to mix with everyone, generally smiley, sometimes a bit grumpy, but hey, he worked long hours without a break - he only had one day off in the 14 days that we were there! Entertainment consisted of George playing CD's, but he did have good taste in music. As previously mentioned in other reviews all inclusive drinks were minimal, but I enjoyed my ouzo and lemon and my brother enjoyed his brandy. We hired a 125 cc scooter with full insurance for three days from a place in Hersonissos with unlimited mileage for just 70 euros which took us over the mountains down to the south coast, out to Knossos Palace and around the countryside - fantastic. Don't bother with the packed lunch, it consisted of a small bottle of water, half a tomato, slice of cucumber, slice of feta cheese, chicken drumstick, slice of Greek ham, olives (yuk), slice of dry bread and an orange - the best bits being the water and the orange! We did get rather fed up with boiled eggs at breakfast, but this tends to be a trend as we had this a lot when we went to Turkey last year. We stayed in room 111 and had no problems with cockroaches, but rooms next door and going down the corridor had problems with them. As per usual in Greece, the mosquitoes were a pain (literally). Weather was beautiful during our stay and we only had one day when we had a little rain, which soon cleared up. Bus services close and easy to use, would recommend a trip into Hersonissos, but forget Malia (unless you're a youngster - we are a couple of oldies). To sum it up, friendly, basic hotel, but in our view not 3 star. I won't say we would go back as we tend to go to different places every holiday, but this has nothing to do with the hotel..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosiejanesnan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouves
Club Lyda Hotel
#21 of 38 in Gouves
Klio Apart Hotel
Klio Apart Hotel
#18 of 38 in Gouves

Been to Despo Hotel? Share your experiences!