“Basic hotel with friendly staff”
Review of Despo Hotel

Despo Hotel
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My brother and I stayed 21/09/12-05/10/12. We had booked a twin room, but on going to the room found it to be a triple basement room with just a sheet for the double bed. This was not a problem, staff provided another sheet for the single bed without a fuss. Room was basic, no fridge, no tv (not that that bothered us, but a fridge would have been nice as we ended up drinking warm water all the time). Yes, beds were on a concrete base, but this did not make them uncomfortable and made it easier for the cleaners, who were very friendly. In fact, all the staff were very warm and friendly. Limited storage space in bedroom and the furniture was very old, but we did not go on holiday to spend time in the room. The shower room flooded at times and the clips for the shower curtain were broken, but it did not prove to be too much of a problem. We enjoyed the food, although a little repetitive at times and the wine was acceptable. I only drank white and I did not have a problem with it except on a couple of occasions when it was quite acidic, but generally ok. Staff were very helpful and worked hard. George in the bar endeavoured to mix with everyone, generally smiley, sometimes a bit grumpy, but hey, he worked long hours without a break - he only had one day off in the 14 days that we were there! Entertainment consisted of George playing CD's, but he did have good taste in music. As previously mentioned in other reviews all inclusive drinks were minimal, but I enjoyed my ouzo and lemon and my brother enjoyed his brandy. We hired a 125 cc scooter with full insurance for three days from a place in Hersonissos with unlimited mileage for just 70 euros which took us over the mountains down to the south coast, out to Knossos Palace and around the countryside - fantastic. Don't bother with the packed lunch, it consisted of a small bottle of water, half a tomato, slice of cucumber, slice of feta cheese, chicken drumstick, slice of Greek ham, olives (yuk), slice of dry bread and an orange - the best bits being the water and the orange! We did get rather fed up with boiled eggs at breakfast, but this tends to be a trend as we had this a lot when we went to Turkey last year. We stayed in room 111 and had no problems with cockroaches, but rooms next door and going down the corridor had problems with them. As per usual in Greece, the mosquitoes were a pain (literally). Weather was beautiful during our stay and we only had one day when we had a little rain, which soon cleared up. Bus services close and easy to use, would recommend a trip into Hersonissos, but forget Malia (unless you're a youngster - we are a couple of oldies). To sum it up, friendly, basic hotel, but in our view not 3 star. I won't say we would go back as we tend to go to different places every holiday, but this has nothing to do with the hotel..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosiejanesnan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
scotsman abroad
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just back on 16th Oct 2012 after a weeks all inclusive stay.
Plus points.The staff were the most friendly and efficient I've ever come across.
The pool area was OK with plenty of sunbeds.
Reception area was presentable.
Room was basic with no English speaking channel on the 13" television.
Lunch and dinner were adequate although chips and potatoes would have been nice.I know I was in Crete but not everyone likes pork and fish.
Beer was OK

Negatives
No entertainment.
In the UK the restaurant and bar would have been closed down by the health police.Cats were everywhere,prowling the grounds,skulking under restaurant tables,lying on reception seating,going behind the bar,wandering around the pool as were 2 dogs from a nearby flat. The only suitable place with soft earth where the cats could poo was the children's play park so I'm assuming that was where they did it and dogs being dogs, marked their territory where they fancied.
Cat lovers stroked them and then handled the communal tongs and ladles.
The only bar was by the pool and when the 8 stools were taken it was difficult to get served as you couldn't get up to the bar. Smoking was allowed at the bar so if you got past the stools you were breathing in lungfuls of smoke waiting to be served.
We were in room 606 where the balcony caught the sun all day but it was a bit of a lottery if you got enough water to shower with and if you did, it was a lottery if it was warm enough to stand under. You have to cross a main road with traffic going at 60 - 70 mph. to get to the beach.This is definitely not a hotel for children or teenagers as there was nothing to do although to be fair it is getting near the end of the season so there may have been entertainment on earlier.
One drink per person with the rule and you had to return a glass to get the next drink and there was no vodka or whisky on the all inclusive deal and paying the best part of £600 each I'm sure they could have stretched to a cheap Vodka and whisky.
Previous A I holidays we've on had snacks/ice cream all day long but it wasn't till 3pm that they brought out a tray of sandwiches and let you have an ice cream.
Breakfast was disappointing with a "dome" of tasteless cheese and one of cold meat.
No bacon or sausages all week and boiled eggs only occasionally.
For what we got, a price of £ 400 would have been just about right

3 Thank Robert O

Travelers are raving about these Kato Gouves hotels

Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my Mother in her early seventies. The rooms were very small and our furniture was in need of refurbishment. There was patio furniture but it was a struggle to open the door and sit down because of such a small space. We enjoyed the wonderful greek food and hospitality,I have never stayed in such a friendly hotel. The all inclusive deal is amazing value for money.
I have seen in other reviews that there was a shortage of sunbeds we never found this to be a problem. Ther is also a free shuttle bus to the beach everyday, this needs to be booked at reception the night before, it leaves at 10 and is back by 2pm intime for lunch which finishes at 2.30. The sea is warm and th e sunbeds x2 and parasol are 6 euros for the day. A visit to the Island bar is a must, wonderful views over to Dia Island.
The road is busy but this provides excellent transpot links in either direction. The buses are cheap and are more like air conditioned coaches with a conducter. Its 1.60 euros to Hersonissos you get on at 15 and off at stop 20, its well worth a visit.
I would definately go back.

Room Tip: I think the annexe rooms are newer and less noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mariona72
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

rooms clean but could do with adding aircon in with the price otherwise 7 euro per day
most of the food was ok but it was basic but you could go over the road for nice meal cheap at the rainbow
pool and pool bar are ok but all inclusive drinks dont start till 11am till 10.30pm
and only include local brandy ouzo wine and larger soft drinks tea and coffee
their is a main road outside the hotel but its not that bad realy once over the road it takes about 20mins to get to the beach but it is worth it very good
there is a few super markets near the hotel easy to find prices are ok
you can do excursions but would recomend that you dont do any with the tour operators they are not worth it cos you can do these cheaper on your own as their prices dont include entrance fees or meals so do take note
for instance me and my partner payed 144 euros for 2 trips and if we done on our own would of been about 90 euros with everything included
anyway all in all our stay at despo hotel was fine

Room Tip: no pool side rooms
2 Thank tonyttaylor2003
Bournemoutu
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Have just returned from the Despo having spent a week there with my daughter. Basically I cant believe some the comments posted about this hotel. We paid £450 all inclusive each, which judging by other comments, was very high.

However, we had a fabulous time and really dont understand what people expect. Certainly those paying only £250 each - what could you get in England for that money?!

Admittedly we upgraded to a superior room which was only an extra 70 euros and it was well worth it. The view over the mountains and olive groves was stunning and every morning we watched the staff collect the eggs and tomatoes for breakfast. The staff were so friendly and polite - Maria, Nicos to name a few. they worked long hours and always had a smile for you, especially you tried a little bit of Greek! The food was plentiful, varied and very tasty - all home cooked

Everywhere was kept clean and tidy - no rubbish and the gardens were delightful.
There were cats about but they were on the whole very healthy and knew not to come into the restaurant and waited outside for their titbits! They served the purpose of keeping vermin away which worked very well we never saw a cockroach or mouse!

The location of hotel has been critised but we didnt find it a problem. If you want somewhere with lots of bars and restaurants next door then you book there and not here! The drinks have also come in for criticism but again, you get what you pay for - if you want 5 star, then pay for it!

Finally, but by no means last, a big thank you to all the wonderful people we met and some firm friendships were made - especially Sue and John, Claire(Doris) and Andrew, Amy and Joanne and not forgetting Jacob and Carol - who kept us entertained in the restaurant with his hilarious jokes! We were quite touched to have such a warm send off when we left - or maybe they were just relieved to see the back of us!!

All in all, I would say if you like Greek people (they are the warmest in Europe in my opinion), Greek food and a homely atmosphere then this is the hotel for you. If you want burgers, chips, tons of booze and nightlife, then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room - rooms higher than 500 where the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tokodaltáró, Komarom-Esztergom, Hungary
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spend my holiday in Crete this year. I hve been choosen the Despo Hotel for my holiday. This is a perfect three star hotel, with a very very good staff.If you really want to find a hotel with good quality for the money, don't hesitate to choose this hotel :) All inclusive service is great too: lots of fruits, vegetables, delicious food. There is a very good swimming pool at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned from a week at Hotel Despo and its true you get what you pay for in my case £250 for a week all inclusive. The food was not that bad really not Jamie Oliver but tasty and plentiful.
Drinks on the other hand well that's a joke for all inclusive beer, Greek brandy and soft drinks and it all finished at 10-30 then it cost 3 euros for a small beer rip off Despo.

Across the road is the Rainbow great food and a large beer and I mean large for 2euros and 50 cent.
We had the dreaded basement rooms 110 and whilst basic we only slept and showered here it served a purpose, the staff at reception especially Katarina were brilliant, the guy allocating tables in the restaurant with the moustache was a gem.
Like I said this hotel is ok but not great.

Room Tip: Do not accept the basement rooms.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kato Gouves
#25 of 37 in Kato Gouves
Klio Apart Hotel
Klio Apart Hotel
#19 of 37 in Kato Gouves

Been to Despo Hotel? Share your experiences!