First impression was good. check in polite and quick, flight delayed so missed evening meal was offered a small cold selection and a soft drink.Booked superior rooms and they were in the new part overlooking the pool.
Rooms large and spacious with comfy beds and ample wardrobe space some had nice balconies. A strange feature was the locked fire door in each room!!.The rooms were cleaned to a satisfactory standard and done every couple of days to an ok standard. The cleaning staff were friendly and always said hello. My daughters room flooded when the shower or bath was used and did have a strange smell,They did come to repair this but it still happened and when the plug didnt work the maintenance staff just said dont use it and too it out!.
The restaurant was lovely and compliments to the chef. The choice was limited but cooked perfectly although we kept away from the burgers and chicken as they were european pink and we like food well done by choice.The staff were quite slow to tidy tables after you left and often you had to as for coffee cups or sugar.
The bar snacKs looked ok although we never tried them (pizza,chips,spaghetti) the ice cream was very nice. By one pool drink variety was limited but that suited me as i dont like to see drunks around the pool, so soft drinks and no spirits was good. The other bar did local spirits and a cocktail of the day ( you could only have this one as no other cocktail available and if you ased you got an abrupt no) The bar staff at both pools were friendly and gave good customer service but you felt it was just their job and there was that vavoom missing. There was only ever one bar staff serving so sometimes you queued but that wasnt a problem.
Entertainment was ok, quite amusing and typically european, the animation team tried hard but once again i feel they could have approached people more they did a stetch session but never ased you to join in just stood waiting for you to go to them and as it wasnt announced you never knew it was happening until you saw the team carrying a rolled up mat.
The reception staff were very informative and always eager to help.
The Pools were nice and not too busy and you had to reserve your beds, we did ask about this and were told it is always a problem and just to put a towel on to reserve a bed.The loungers were amazing really comfy and lots of people sat on them at night to use their laptops as there was free wi fi.
We went to spinalonga, 2 buses and a boat ride from plaka well worth a visit and half the price the reps are charging. The water park aquaplus is a good family day out.
I would possibly go again to this hotel but it may be a greek 5 star but i have stayed in alot better and would say this is probably just a 4 star ( this is a comparison of 5 star hotels i have stayed in on other greek islands and my own opinion)
To sum this review up. yes it is a lovely hotel, yes the food is good, location is a little out of the way but a 20 min walk and you get to shops and bars. A short bus ride takes you to other areas and it is cheap and easy to do. Pool was good for families as it wasnt too deep and the one near reception had a childrens pool. The staff didnt go out of their way to make you feel welcome but the few that did well done. We spoke to some staff who appeared to be homesick.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St.Constantin Hotel is set on the island of Crete in the peaceful area of Gouves Village,20 km from the airport and 25 km from Heraklion City Center.The atmosphere of St.Constantin Hotel will charm the visitor and the warm hospitality will embrace your every moment during your stay. St.Constantin Hotel consists of 134 rooms, which are divided in Double and Family rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your St. Constantin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Constantin Village Hotel Gouves
- St Constantin Village Heraklion
- St. Constantin Hotel Kato Gouves, Crete