“Ignore The Bad Reviews And Make Your Own Opinion.”

Beach Club Aphrodite
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Reviewed October 23, 2013

After reading many terrible reviews I was quite apprehensive about our stay but seen as we got a really good deal we agreed to make the best of our trip either way. Upon arrival I was surprised by how beautiful the complex actually was, a very good first impression. A friendly and very efficient receptionist had us checked in and up to our rooms in no time. The nerves kicked in during the journey up as so many people had slated the rooms. No need to be nervous at all! Room was spacious and clean with a bath, fridge, plenty of storage and balcony with sea view. Very impressed and definitely worth its star rating. My boyfriend did complain the bed was hard but I slept fine so depends on personal preference. Food was fantastic, plenty of variety with a salad bar and even a cooking station with chef preparing fresh food during all meal times. We had no reason to eat out even once during our 7 night stay. Evening entertainment wasnt up to much but as we went out of season this was to be expected. They did put on a greek night though which was brilliant and got all the guests included. The staff are friendly and helpful. I feel those complaining about the staff have been harsh as they do work 7 days a week from april to october so give them a chance. Pools are of high quality we spent our days lounging by the pool bar drinking lager and lime. Lovely weather for the time of year (15th-22nd october). Due to the all inclusive finishing at 11pm we spent our nights drinking and dancing with Thomas in the Anfield Bar which is reasonably priced and great atmosphere. I feel the reviews have been harsh and i'm surprised by the number of bad ones. We had a great week at a great price and would be happy to recommend.

8  Thank JodThompson

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was passing the hotel alone and wished to have a brief look around the grounds and bar/reception area of the hotel with a view to staying there for a future trip. So, rather than just roaming around and out out of politeness, I approached a member of the security staff to state my intentions. He was polite but firm stating that ..."it was not possible for non residents to enter...". I explained that I only wanted a brief look around. I am not sure if it gives the right impression of the hotel, but if this is the general attitude, I won't bother staying there!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Arrived late on the 4th October having booked 2 week all inclusive holiday at the cost of over £1600 for my Husband and I. It was hard to see the outside of the hotel as it was shaded by loads of trees, but upon entering reception, we were impressed with the area in general and thought we had won a watch. The receptionist (Stavros) initially was very helpful, however this was very short lived. We went to our room and were shocked with the standard! To say it was basic was an understatement. The beds were rock hard, the balcony was over run with the branches from the trees outside, the door was hanging off the fridge, the mirrors on the " wardrobe" ( and I use that loosely) didnt match and there has been a really bad paint job done on all of the doors in the room. I went to reception to complain as I felt it wasnt good value for what we had paid and didnt meet our expectations at all. Stavros was rude,dismissive, unhelpful and didnt make eye contact at all. My business is customer service and I can assure you he would not be working for me! Man with very bad attitude - not an ambassador for the hotel at all. I later witnessed him being very rude and aggressive and on more than one occasion shouting at other guests as it appeared that everyone who checked in were of the same opinion as ourselves. They refused to change the room and we later found out that the hotel is undergoing renovations from the top floor down, however the top two floors of superior rooms are kept for the Germans! We even had to approach reception to ask for 2 bedside lamps as we had no lights in the room!
The only saving grace for the hotel was Tony who works in the pool bar and Gianni who is the restaurant manager. Tony is an absolute gentleman who clearly enjoys his work and realises the positive impact that he has on guests. Nothing was too much trouble for him. A true professional and it shows! Gianni also made sure that we were looked after and always made us feel welcome. Again someone who knows what it was all about.
The food is very repetitive but the worst thing is that its all luke warm! If you like stew of any sort you will be fine as all of the "hot" food consisted of the same daily.
After a few days it became apparent that we had paid over the odds for our holiday as others we spoke to has paid between £1020 and £1200! We had all booked through Travel Republic and had taken the same options, so be careful when booking.
The resort is very baron. A lot of places permanently closed down. Nothing really much to do at all and evening entertainment was non existent - they struggled to get a kiddies disco together!
All inclusive drinks are a joke. Watered down is an understatement. The only "real" spirits they have are brandy, gin and vodka - no rum or whisky. The others and all local flavoured liqueurs which are only 15% volume at best but again are watered down.
Not all of the facilities are all inclusive ie its 10 Euros for 2 hours in a very dilapidated gym with most of the equipment broken.
All in all a huge let down. Definitely not the 4* hotel that its advertised as. We wont be back to the Aphrodite let alone Gouves. We feel as if we were totally ripped off and whilst we are generally very easy going people, we like to get value for money the same as everyone else. In this case it definately didnt happen. Be very wary when booking - its doesnt do as it says on the tin !!!

Room Tip: This part of the survey said "Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room" - there is...
1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The wife and I stayed here for 10 days. The room we had was quite basic, serious lack of pillows and the beds were very hard but after talking to reception they provided us with ample pillows and a new mattress each so we were both happy and could sleep. The hotel itself is large and spacious with lots of comfortable seating within the reception area and bar areas. the pools were clean with plenty of sunbeds to go around. the beach bar connected to the hotel was just over the road from a little secluded beach with sunbeds and sun umbrellas provided by the hotel (5 Euros a day for two). The food was varied and fresh, drinks were ok, beers was nice but the wine was obviously watered. Hotel had the usual pay for wireless internet but only in the lobby area and some of the bar. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Gouves itself was ok. Shops selling the usual tourist based items with lots of fake stuff in them. Nice little train ride tour to show you the sights for 9 Euros a pop. car hire is cheap and we got ours from Hello car hire, cost us 30 Euros a day for a Hyundai Getz. Warning the drivers out there are totally mental so confidence is required.

Visited Knossos, Spinalonga and drove up and over the mountains to Matala all worth a visit beautiful Island.

I don't think we would go back to that hotel but that's more about the area not the hotel itself.

If you do visit make sure you check out a little taverna just down the road called xillon - cracking staff, food and drinks.

1  Thank SeN10eL
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Arrived on Tuesday 17th September for 1 week. The rooms were very basic very uncomfortable beds but only used the room to get ready to go out and sleep. Balcony was tiny so couldn't sit out and the shower door didn't shut properly! Food was good a lot of choice but by the end of the holiday was ready for a change as it got repetitive. The Russians were so rude barging past you in the restaurant pushing in and just ignoring you, English people seemed to stick together and the bottom pool not at the top pool. The pictures shown on the website are of a swim up pool that the Russians used and the pool the English used isn't shown, that's where all the entertainment went on e.g. Aqua Zumba which was lots of fun! The entertainments people were fab really made you feel welcome and did great shows on an evening. The town it's self was very small and not a lot to do but that's what sort of holiday we wanted just to relax. There was a good selection of drinks beer seemed watered down but the raki certainly didn't!!! All in all a good holiday had a boat trip out on day which was fab met some great friends and had a good time :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

we arrived at the hotel on the 5th oct late at night and our room was crap 3 adluts in one room that was 2 beds and a set of bunkbeds for me, hubby and my mother of 78 years bunkbeds jet 2 had told us they did rooms for 3 adults that's why we booked had to stay in that room for the night and next morning got the room we had booked for 3 adults but rooms need up dating to be in line with the best rooms that you had to pay 40 euros a night which is a bit off they are very nice rooms but all the rooms should be to that standard.But on the plus side food great, drinks not too bad and the pool area was great plenty of sunbeds for all. The hotel staff were all very good and the manager in the dinningroom was very good his name was Giannis . As said all this hotel needs is to sort he rooms out and make them to the same as the best rooms and its perfect then for any traveller please look at this !

Room Tip: pay more for best room ( you should not have too)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank margaret h
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Went here in Sept 2013, hotel very nice but we were shoved in the old block which was like Butlins in the 70,s, in hindsight we should have moved rooms to the main block. Food was ok as I eat just about anything but it did get a bit samey. The resort of Gouves was a complete let down, what a place!!. The anfield bar was very good right opposite the hotel with free wi-Fi . If you want to hire a car try the the one next to the Anfield bar as very good price and service DONT use hello on the sea front he's a lier and a cheat.
Would I go here again, can't really see it myself

Stayed: October 2013
#8 of 36 in Kato Gouves
Lavris Hotel Bungalows
Lavris Hotel Bungalows
#15 of 36 in Kato Gouves

Been to Beach Club Aphrodite? Share your experiences!