“It was good”
Review of The Island Hotel

The Island Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Kato Gouves
Reviewed October 16, 2013

A couple of small negative points to start.
It is on the flight path for the airport and planes fly fairly low i.e. you can see the wheels down. This did not detract from the hotel but I mention it because I did not know as it was obviously not in the brochure. In October when I went there were not many planes and these days they are much quieter anyway. The second small point is the ludicrously small three draw cabinet for clothes. We stayed for a week and my wife mostly had to live out of her suitcase, I have no idea how people manage if they stay for a two weeks? A third small point is the elevator music which permeates the hotel all the time, its very tiresome.

Having got that off my chest I can say it was an excellent hotel, the staff were fantastic and very helpful. They all spoke perfect English, a point of mine as I cannot really understand people who think they can speak English but really can't. The meals were self service with plenty of choice and the dining area was nice and calm (no kids.) It's an adult only hotel, which was the selling point for us.

The first two days the weather was very disappointing with strong winds and quite cold, but after that it brightened up and only turned colder in the evening, but in October it was too be expected. A few souls braved the pools, including my wife.

There is a taverna opposite and for a better taste of Cretean life this was where a lot of guests spent there evenings, drinks at half the hotel price. It's a 20 minute walk into Gouves but other than that there is no much around. We went on the bus to the capital Herkilion for 4.40 euros one way for the two of us but be aware the buses do not stop if they are full and we had to let two go by, other guests told us they had to let four go by. Coming back you must buy your ticket in the bus depo they will not let you on if you have not done this. The bus back also calls at the airport, so can be full. When we went they just added an extra bus to cope with the demand.

Outside the hotel are a couple of car renting shops, we hired a car for three days for 75euros.

Despite the small negative points I would still recommend this hotel, it was peaceful and calm, in fact we hardly saw another guest except at dinner time.

Just one last point, there are lots of steps around with only two or three steps but they are all over. We did see one elderly lady have a fall even though there are slopes by the side of most steps.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chris w
TheIslandHotelCrete, General Manager at The Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Mr. Chris w,

Firstly thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience. It is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve.
Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us and that we are reviewing the matters you have highlighted very closely in order to solve these matters.
Secondly, on a positive note I am delighted to read your compliments with regards to our hotel, staff and food, they were much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,036)

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the island at the end of September for 14 nights.
We had a wonderful time again( this being our 3rd year)
All the Island staff are wonderful and nothing is to much trouble for them.
From the time you arrive to the time you leave you will be treated like a VIP.
The rooms are gorgeous and cleaned every day to a high standard, a bottle of water is left daily in your room, the kitchen restaurant is a buffet style experience but there is plenty to choose from and cater for most tastes. The beach is across the road from the hotel and has free sunbeds to guests. Gouves Main Street is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. Gouves isn't a place to go if your after the party life, it's a very quiet relaxing place and the island hotel is a little gem even more so as there are no children to disturb your peace.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kerry S

Dear Kerry S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your 3rd stay with us here at The Island Hotel. It is incredibly motivating for all of the staff at the hotel to read such a wonderful review. It is nice to read as well that the little "extra touches" that we offer such as free sunbeds on the beach, daily free bottle of water and coffee and tea facilities are being noticed and appreciated. We were all delighted to read that you would recommend the hotel to others and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

On arrival to the Island we were taken to our room.A Staff memeber took out cases. The room was immaculate. However it was at the back and up and down steps so it would be no good for someone who struggled with mobility. The pools were pristine and the pool area was spotless! We sat around the smallest pool. We didnt have a problem getting a double lounger maybe due to when we travelled.
Staff at The Island were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were welcoming and courteous.
Food was plentiful and there was a good choice. There was a microwave, because as I later found out from other guests Greek food is served warm.
The hotel has natural materials and also the lighting is energy saving. I have never left a hotel before and had a manager stand at the coach and say goodbye. This was a first.!
The beach is lovely and as a hotel guest sun beds are free.
The Kitchen restaurant - where we had breakfast and dinner -had outside seating and the view and the sound of the sea first thing in the morning was so relaxing.
There is a train that we did not use to go into the small shopping street as we enjoyed the walk.
Outside of the hotel is a bar called George's. George is hilarious and very friendly.
We also walked to The Rainbow pub which was a nice walk and had a nice atmosphere.
We didnt use the indoor spa but Neil my partner used the gym and said it wasnt over stocked with equipment but was adequate.
I took part in a yoga class run by one of the Thomsons staff which I found enjoyable.
All in all a lovely place to stay.This is a get away from it all holiday.
I will give you one warning and this is not really about the hotel. DO NOT use Travellers checks as Thomson from the brochure to the moment of booking to the welcome meeting forget to mention that Gouves do not have the facility to change travellers cheques and a trip into the capital is necessary. I intend taking this up with Thomsons.
Thetre are lots of friendly cats in Gouves and I hope someone will feed them after the hotel closes for winter.
I would go back to The Island as we had a most truly magical time relaxing in a friendly environment. Well done The Island.

Room Tip: The rooms numbered in the 800's were around the small pool and were situated in a quiet place.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise R

Dear Mrs. Denise R.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Island Hotel, it was our pleasure looking after you during your stay. It is always a delight to read such a fantastic review of our hotel and to read such kind words about our staff and facilities.
I have to say as well that I enjoyed reading that you noticed that we use natural materials and energy saving lighting. It is very important for us to protect our environment and nature.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, and I will make sure to try and stand at the coach again to wish a good flight back home!

Warm regards.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed for 10 days at this lovely hotel. I cannot fault any of the facilities there. The room was spacious and modern. The bed was the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in. The bathroom had toiletries that were restocked if used and our towels were changed daily. There was a free safety deposit box, a fridge, tea & coffee making facilities and a bottle of water provided everyday - a really nice touch!
The hotel staff are exceptional. The hotel also provide you with pool towels which you change when required. I found the food to be of a good standard, but if i had a gripe to make it was just not that inspiring!
The hotel is lovely and quiet, it was our 1st holiday at an adults only hotel, but it wont be the last, just perfect for what we wanted, a great place to chill and relax. The resort of Gouves is also small and quiet resort with bars and restaurants, but not the sort that pump music out at all times and thankfully there seemed to be a lack of sports bars and karaoke....idyllic!! If this is the sort of thing you want, then this hotel and resort are not for you.
We did try some of the tavernas and bars in the vicinity, the Island Restaurant and the Crazy beach bar on the sea front were good, but our favourite place was Georges Taverna, opposite the entrance to the hotel, the food and drink is excellent.
We did Thomson's trip to Knossos and Spinalonga, both excellent and value for money. Our tour guide was Veta for both and she was knowledgable and explained things really well.
I would definitely return to this hotel and recommend ot to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jules1970
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely holiday at this very relaxing hotel. I have read people's reviews before I went and since I got home on Sunday. There is not much that I can add too,that other people have already said about the hotel as far as the wonderful reviews go, the room was great(806) next to the quiet pool so close that we never had a problem getting a double sun bed at 9 in the morn before going to breakfast. The food was very good and of high standard cannot understand people moaning as it was freshly cooked and never cold, we were there for two weeks,I saw someone's comment about a microwave which I never saw anyone using it. The staff are lovely and the manager Katya saw you in every morning and evening to the restuarant and was present throughout the hotel most of the time. This was the first time we had been to a couples hotel and it was lovely not having any children there so we really could chill(we love kids)but its quiet, just reading a book, swimming in the pool and enjoying a meal on our own. The Thomson reps(Hannah and Henry)were at the hotel in the morning and early eve most days, with Katie organising the events, there was things going on everyday except Sundays was up to you whether you joined in or not. The surrounding area outside the hotel was ok but fairly quiet. We would go back to the hotel as its an ideal place if you want to just chill for a week and lay in the sun. Please go and try it for yourself.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paula F
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were on a late arrival on our first night so there was no evening meal due to the time, but we managed to go to the bar and have a drink where we were met by our barmaid for the week 'Popi'. She was so welcoming which in turn made us happy to be there, she also arranged some sandwiches for us. The weather was cold and windy on the first two days which was not the hotels fault but most German guests were complained it was. The food was very nice and was good to have so much variety. (And was hot)
We met our Thompson Reps the morning after we got there, they were all smiles and happy to help! Not the case at all Hannah had that fake smile on her face whenever we did see her which was once on our 7 day stay, we saw James at the leaving cocktails where he ignored us apart from to give us a bit of paper where no words were exchanged!! Bad service Thompson!! However the other staff Katie the Ents rep, the Duo Pete & Lauren and Popi the barmaid were absolutely fantastic and I believed they made our Honeymoon special they deserve the praise and credit for the friendly staff and Thompson, Hannah & James could learn a lot from there hospitality skills! My wife and I thought the Hotel was absolutely beautiful and will be returning one day to see old friends without our kids even though we have missed them.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Island Hotel is very modern it is kept very clean by the dedicated staff either domestic or those that maintain the gardens and hotel. The rooms are a good size with a bath and overhead shower, towels are lovely white and fluffy. We had a sea view roon which was worth paying extra.
Rooms are spaced over a large area, so if it is raining then you do get wet, also lots of steps so need to be a bit agile.
Food was average only because it was either tepid or cold, they did have microwave you could use to re heat the food. The water for tea/coffee at breakfast was also tepid, we heated the teapot in the microwave, so we could have a nice hot cup of tea.
The beds had a latex matress topper which was wonderful best nights sleep we have had in hotel bed (have even come home and bought one). The hotel is on the flight path for the airport and you do get a lot of planes overhead, this did not however, bother us.
Outside the hotel is Georges lovely couple good hot food and cheap drinks.
Would go again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Silva Beach
Silva Beach
#21 of 184 in Hersonissos
Stella Palace Resort & Spa
Insula Alba Resort & Spa (Adults Only)

Been to The Island Hotel? Share your experiences!