The Island Hotel
$84
  • Breakfast included
Lavris Hotels & Spa(Kato Gouves)
$74
  • Breakfast included
St. Constantin Hotel(Kato Gouves)
$92
$260
$248
Hara Ilios Hotel(Kato Gouves)(Great Value!)
$78
TripAdvisor
Despina Apartments(Kato Gouves)
Travelocity
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,036 results
All reviewstholos barthomson repssea viewacross the roadmain pooldouble sunbedsbreakfast and dinnershared poolveranda baropen planlovely hotelfree saferelaxing holidayrelaxing poolfree bottlekon dim arbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here at the end of June start of July for 2 weeks. On arrival in the early hours of the morning - we were shown to our room and the hotel looked amazing - even at night.
A great room - only a standard - but more than enough for what we wanted. A good size, with tv, fridge, sofa, aircon and a good size bathroom with a good shower.
Breakfast was always great - sitting outside in the sun - always lots of tables and chairs - you quickly learn when it is likely to be busy - but even then there was always plenty of space.
As for breakfast a great selection of cooked, eggs (any style) fruit, cereal, breads, pretty much anything you could want.
For lunch we ate out - generally at the Island restaurant - great selection and great value - always very welcoming.
Evening meal was great as well - sitting outside and watching the sun set - it didn't get any better. A great selection of food - regularly replenished - always hot - and plenty of it. If you turned up at a busy time you may well have had to wait for about 2 minutes whilst someone showed you to a table. I didn't mind and it was nice to be shown.
The beach is across a small road a was ideal - sandy and shallow. There was also a nice cooling breeze which made it bearable. There was quite a few waves - which was good fun - but usually meant that it was difficult to swim too much.
Overall a great place - would definitely recommend it and hope to go back again next year! - can't say better than that.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nottingham-uk
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at the Island hotel in gouves crete for a week in room 709. We had a maisonette room which had a spiral staircase very modern hotel clean.We had a balcony upstairs and downstairs loungers and 2 chairs and table in the rear patio which lead directly to the pool.The room was lovely spacious enough for 2-3 people.The food was good we were half board. I enjoyed the yoga and the cocktail making classes. The night entertainment wasn't great.. could be an awful lot better. The reps were informative and pleasant. Nice clean beach and clear water directly across from hotel the loungers are free .Brochure was true to pictures and information provide.
Downside Gouves is a small resort not alot to do at night.
I only give a 3 for location not of the hotel but the resort which was small and poor. There is supermarkets restaurants etc around hotel. Georges at back of the hotel is really nice for food..This could be an amazing hotel if they would just put some good acts on at night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BelfastCar0l
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just got back home from a week staying at The Island and I was ready for it to be honest. There is no question that the hotel is gorgeous. The bedroom and bathroom were modern and clean and the queen size bed was amazing! As people have already pointed out, there was no dressing table / plug sockets next to the mirror and the tea and coffee in the room were awful so we brought our own but it’s barely worth mentioning. Our room was at the back of the hotel which was a bit of a walk from the main pool / reception but for a fit and healthy young couple it was fine. The grounds are beautiful with double sunbeds and hammocks available for relaxing. The sunbed situation wasn’t as bad as I thought from reading these reviews. On the first day we got up at 8am and got a comfy double by the main pool. On another day we got up at 11am and had to go to the beach as there were none at the hotel so common sense should dictate what you need to do if you want a good one! The sandy beach was only metres away across the road and we had a good laugh playing in the choppy sea. The main pool in particularly really was awesome.

The food, well it wasn’t great. Plenty of choice at breakfast but there’s no getting around the fact that the ‘hot’ food was far from that unless you queued for a freshly cooked omelette. The bacon was fatty and stringy but the eggs were nice. What was described as ‘orange juice’ was clearly anything but that! Far too diluted down and totally undrinkable. Dinner was a big disappointment for me. I don’t eat much meat and admittedly I am fussy but the choices never appealed to me so it was a good job I like salad as there was an abundance of this which was fresh and delicious. The main courses always seemed to have meat in and my boyfriend felt this was often dry and lukewarm. It was just very bland and unappealing to the eyes or taste buds. It just seemed to need shaking up a bit with new recipes. There was certainly no ‘themed’ nights when we went so maybe they have stopped this? The waiting staff have obviously been told to say 'you're welcome' everytime you thanked them which became a bit tedious!!

The main downside to this hotel is the location and the atmosphere. By day the sunbeds are full and by night….. there is no-one to be seen! Where does everyone go?? Yes there are a few tavernas nearby but they close early and only had a few people in. There is no entertainment at the hotel and the prices are sky high. Maybe if they didn’t charge 7 euros for a vodka and lemonade there would be a few more people knocking around. We went to the Taverna on the first night for a drink to find 4 other people in and the resident duo singers had finished well before 11pm. Why not have a live band or something for guests to do in the evening? This was the main problem for us. Come 9pm it was a soulless ghost town and we were forced to go out and about. Twice we got the bus to Hersonissos which was like a breath of fresh air, shops, bars, restaurants and reasonable prices. The bus stop is a 15min walk and at 1.60 each it is well worth doing. If you’re feeling even braver stay on a couple of stops and people watch in Malia! Be prepared to feel old but drinks are cheap and it is good for a laugh!

So overall yes, this hotel is clean and yes, it is beautiful but beyond appearances it has no heart or soul. If you like peace and quiet then it would be perfect for you but if you like music, chatting to people and reasonably priced drinks then have a think if you are willing to forgo this for what is on offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BecG16
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just returned from this wonderful hotel, where I stayed for two weeks with my Husband. I felt compelled to write a review after reading the comments made by "leahok89". I would hate other holiday makers to read her personal character insults against the manager and the hotel and be worried it was a true reflection of the hotel. Yes men do have to wear trousers at Dinner, this is clearly stated upon checking in, in your rooms, and upon entry to The Kitchen, it is the rule with the great majority of hotels which are 4* and above. The manager and her staff were polite, hard working and professional and frankly I can understand that they would become frustrated at guests who clearly ignore this one clear rule.
The rooms were bright, modern and spacious. The bed was so comfortable and the maid service was second to none.
The grounds were immaculate and colourful. There were loads of beds and personally, I thought the beach was great. It was most entertaining watching the lifeguard trying to control bathers ignoring the red flag, the sea was really rough and he tried his best to keep swimmers in the one area so he could watch over them. Honestly? a whistle was a problem?!! It kept me entertained.
I would recommend this hotel but just to couples and please do not be put off by one disgruntled guest who clearly had no respect for the rules.
I was not so keen on the resort itself but this hardly the fault of the hotel, oh and yes, there are no plugs near the mirror so recommend you take either a mirror or an extension, otherwise...have a great holiday.

Room Tip: Room 510 overlooked the pool and the beach. However you don't see the sunset from this room. It was very quiet tho and was lovely and cool at around 5pm when it was nice to sit and cool off with a glass of wine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Angie M
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I and two friends stayed at The Island Hotel for two weeks at the start of July. We were in rooms 983/982 about the furthest from the reception area. Beware of the slight steps as so many people tripped on these. The hotel itself is well thought out but the open plan in the rooms may not appeal to everyone. Every room has a safe for your passport etc with no charge. Daily you are supplied with a large bottle of water, slippers and in some rooms bathrobes. There is no charge for playing tennis/table tennis/or sun beds at the pool or beach. No real problem acquiring a sunbed by either of the pools. Beach gets busier during the day but definitely much cooler for sunbathing. The staff are exceptional. Would like to give credit to Nicole and Nicos in the restaurant and Poppi in the Thalos bar. Great Pina colada's - Poppi! We all found something to our taste in the restaurant. I especially liked breakfast. The fruit was delicious with the yoghurt. Also found that I like feta cheese. Went on the trip to Spinalonga which is very interesting, especially if you have read the book 'The Island' before you go. Also hired a car for 5 days and toured about the island. We thought it would be 'cool' to hire an open top but the hair got blown about and the sun was relentless. There is a little bakers along the street which accounted for my weight gain while in Crete. This was our first outing to Greece and would most likely try another island but all in all a wonderful holiday. There are rooms overlooking the sea which have their own small pools and if ever we're in the money I would love to stay in one when I return to the Island hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends