Gouves Mare is a great hotel - rooms are clean, staff are friendly, especially Marianne - she goes out of her way to make sure all guests are happy and if there's any problems, she'll sort them for you! I went with a friend of my friends and it was one of the best holidays we've had.
The food at the hotel was AMAZING... some of the best meals we've ever eaten and lots to choose from each night at the buffet. Everything seems much more healthier in Crete - all cooked in extra virgin olive oil and lots of locally produced fruit and veg that hasn't been ruined by chemicals so you can taste the different when comparing it to English food.
Breakfast was good - again, lots to choose from (the only fault is the terrible fruit juice... we didn't know quite what it was... very strong squash with no water?! As long as you don't drink that, everything else is perfect!). Also the waiter is a bit annoying... friendly but shouldnt be so pushy with getting money for drinks - we all felt like we'd done something wrong when we said we'd pay at the end of the meal incase we wanted more. Also, don't buy a drink downstairs and take it up otherwise you'll have him to answer to!
The hotel is a very short walk to the sea front, just far enough so you cant hear the road, which is great. The hotel is quiet - we weren't disturbed at all at night so always had a good sleep in the well air conditioned room!
The hotel has free wifi and a computer that guests can use at anytime, which was very handy.
We swam in the sea a couple of times, which was warmer than the pool and lovely and relaxing so I recommend doing that.
The town is okay - its about a twenty min walk to all the shops and theres a variety of restaurants to choose from. It was let down by a disgusting boy about 9 years old, smoking and walking around with a tiny dog. He put the cigarette out on the dogs face and then put his hands round the dogs neck and the poor little thing was crying out in pain! The parents of the boy work in one of the shops, selling perfumes and handbags and didn't seem to care! This almost ruined the holiday for me and since none of us spoke Greek, there was nothing we could do. If you go into Gouves town, keep an eye out for the evil child with the dog as he was outside the same shop everyday!
This was the only bad thing about the holiday overall, and of course, reflects on the shops, not the hotel, which is quite a distance away.
Go on the land rover safari if you get the chance - quite expensive but an excellent day and worth the money! You get to see parts of Crete that you wouldnt be able to see otherwise... the mountains, the views, the goats in trees.... and they put on a great BBQ for everyone! Don't bother with the trip to Knossos though - waste of time and wasn't really that good compared to the safari.
I'd definitely recommend Gouves Mare - we will be going back there for another holiday and can't wait!! Our time there was great and two weeks wasnt enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Crete and Hotel Gouves Sea ****... Our well-situated, comfortable and family hotel, in front of the Aegean Sea, will be the first great souvenir of your trip and an excellent place to go to visit all the most important cities of Crete : 18km from the airport, 22km from Héraklion, 30km from archeological site of Knossos, 45km from Agios Nikolaos, 85km from Ierapetra, 98km from Rethymno, 115km from Sitia, 158km from Chania. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Bookgreece.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gouves Sea and Mare Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel And Suites Gouves Mare
- Hotel Gouves Mare
- Mare Hotel Gouves
- Gouves Sea And Mare Hotel & Suites Kato Gouves, Crete